Looking for a cheap laptop for school

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
I'm looking to spend around $300 for a decent laptop just for school. No gaming or anything, just something that's easy to tote around campus for school work. A full size keyboard is a must since I have big hands. Any suggestions?

Is used/refurb okay? If so I'd recommend a used Thinkpad T60 or T61. If buying T61 avoid the ones with the Nvidia graphics since they have very high failure rates (whole defective Nvidia G84/G86 fiasco). The Intel graphics ones are perfectly okay.

Yeah, refurbs and used are cool. I'll check out the T60/T61. Always had a fondness for them.

an old ibm for best keyboard or an old macbook for best battery life would be my suggestions

Acer have plenty cheap notebooks out there in the wild. Maybe you find something new even :)

I just recently purchased a T60 with the 4:3 screen which I wanted. I am in the process of putting in a QXGA IPS panel,SSD, 4gb ram, and still deciding whether i want to mod the chassis to put in a T61 board so I can run the Penryn C2D chips. I at the very least will do the ssd,lcd, and ram upgrade.

If I wasn't doing all this to be the ultimate coding machine imo I would still be more than happy with the stock pieces for your purposes and you can generally pick them up fairly cheap sub 300 for sure. I paid 85 bucks for mine in working condition.

i grabbed a toshiba C650D with a e350 with ati 6310 graphics for 345 shipped the thing is sweet even plays a few games and i get around 4.5 to 7 hours battery life... i picked up a 4 gig stick fo ram for it off new egg for 21 ill post about it when i get that installed...

Back