Looking for a case

Malecoda

Limp Gawd
Current case is an antec902 and it is quite loud, heavy and seems like it would be difficult to watercool. I have 5 hard drives, a large air cooler, non modular power supply and long video card GTX470. I need at most 1 5.25 bay. I am looking for something that is at least as portable as the antec (carry it around to lans occasionally), and is also quieter and cooler. I am considering the Silverstone Fortress FT02, or the MM monticle 24(5 in 3 bay for the drives?). I am open to suggestions. I may consider water cooling in the future, in which case the MM may be the best?, but if the silverstone keeps everything adequately cool/quiet it may not be necessary. I also want a case that will hopefully last longer than the antec. I could be going at it from the wrong angle though, as a cooler video card could do the trick? Have considered water cooling, but have been hesitant to drop the cash as a system upgrade is usually better. Thoughts? Suggestions?

http://www.mountainmods.com/monticle-24-cyo-p-500.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163163

Case History
Chieftec Dragon>Chieftec style full tower>Antec Lanboy>V2000(server)>A05B(HTPC)>902

Last edited:
Here is my HAF 922 I got through Newegg for $60.

0bmJM.jpg

I'm going to invest in some expansion card mounted fan controllers to tweak the speed of the fans just a bit and it will bring the sound of the case below the noise floor. Very quiet right now though. The 200mm fans are amazing.

I had an Antec P182 before this case and now I have much more room. One thing that really made me happy was being able to tuck all the cords from my non modular supply behind the motherboard shelf as you can see in the picture.

I suppose i am ideally looking for a lighter, at least partially aluminum case because i move it around quite often. Not sure if the HAF would help with video card cooling over my 900.

Ah yeah I got you.

It will definitely be the same weight as the 900.

You can mount a 200mm fan on to the door above the cards so that should help for sure...

Not sure if the fan would fit with my cooler (scythe ninja), or how i would water cool it. My current case has good airflow, but negative pressure? The haf seems to be a good case for the money, but i'm not sure it fits the bill.

650D doesn't seem too bad, except for price/quality complaints in a few areas. Watercooling would require some modding but is doable. Lian Li would require modding for WC and i'm not sure if it would help air cool temps. Fractal doesn't seem as easily modded as the 650D and probably would not improve temps. MM seems like it may be the winner as it is low weight, and wouldn't require modding. The FT02 is also 30lbs :(.

I suppose i am ideally looking for a lighter, at least partially aluminum case because i move it around quite often. Not sure if the HAF would help with video card cooling over my 900.

Would the GTX 470 even clear the drive cage in a CM HAF 922?

I just received the Corsair Graphite 600T. Brother after all the looking I have done, I am so glad I got this monster!! 3 fans already mounted, both sides are removable by pushing a button, and removable HDD trays for large GPU. I would check it out on Newegg before I hit the "buy" button on something else. Isn't the cheapest ($169), but I got a bundle with a Corsair AX850 Gold and saved $40.

This thing is a NICE

IF the FT02 wasn't so heavy i may have ordered it by now. Any thoughts on the Mountain mods case?

Dont see why it wouldnt clear the haf 922. Are you talking about clearing the drive cage in a 902? If so it barely does.

pclayout.jpg

Last edited:
About to pull the trigger on the a70f or the 650d. will purchase this weekend.

Last edited:
Back