• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for a case for a NAS build

trasixes

Gawd
Joined
Feb 18, 2010
Messages
896
I've been searching for a case for a NAS build, and coming up mostly empty.


The priority is price - cheap is the word lol

I need it to be as small as possible with 4 external hot swap bays (to hold 3.5" drives). Doesn't have to be ITX, but I am hoping to avoid anything mid-tower size. I am aware of the Norco case, but from what little I have read, it does not allow enough room for a stock intel cooler, which is what I will need to use. Also must fit a standard size power supply, unless it's an amazing deal on a SFF case.

Rack mount cases are out, as the wife will hang me by the testicles. Everything else is pretty much fair game.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.
 
I'm trying to get more information on this case: PC, Spare Case, Mini-ITX computer case with Power Supply for AN4L

Also used in this prebuilt NAS by the same company: AccuNAS AN4L+ - 64bit 4 Bay NAS + iSCSI with Intel ATOM Dual Core CPU (Black)

The seller hasn't responded to any of my questions, specifically the type/number of power connectors available on the 200W PSU. I'm assuming it has a 24-pin ATX motherboard power and at least 4 SATA power connectors, but the motherboard I'm looking at needs the auxiliary 4-pin CPU power as well.

If I ever get an answer I'll let you know.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What about custom?

This chenbro cage is the only one I can find that would make it "easy" to add.

You could use whatever case you like as long as there is enough room for the cage. Use the 4 external mounting holes to mount to the case. Either way, I don't think you are going to beat $100 bucks to your house for a case with the cage already in it.

Otherwise, going further into custom

As long as the case has a single 5.25" for mounting, just making sure there is enough room below for a 4 bay cage. Minus the work needed, could be in the 50-100 range depending on what you choose.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I went with the NZXT Source 220 has been working great for me over the last 3 years of NAS use.
- $50 bucks
- 3 External 5.25" bays for hot swap drives
- 8 Internal 3.5" bays

I wanted a case that was simple and kept the drives all facing the same direction and in the same area.
 

Attachments

  • NAS Side.jpg
    NAS Side.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 273
Holy shit, that NZXT Source 220 case is fucking nice for $50!! 8 internal, and the 3 5.25'' can be converted into a 4 in one hotswap backplane hard drive cage. Thanks.
 
Back
Top