Looking for a bootable linux that supports sata+raid

vitalym

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know of a linux distribution that I can boot off of from a CD that will see my sata drives that are setup in a raid 0?

Just about all of them should. SUSE, Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, should all detect it just fine.

GIGABYTE SATAII controller

I'm using a GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

It looks like this board has had some problem on older linux kernels. Hmm i would download a live CD and boot into the environment and see if it's recognized there.

Well I just tried Fedora and it was no go, I was able to access my IDE drive, but unable to see my satas

Well I just tried Fedora and it was no go, I was able to access my IDE drive, but unable to see my satas
Just remember I believe only two out of the six are available for raid. Although are the SATA's recognized out of raid?

Try the live CD of Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10.

If it works I'll tell you why.

Just to make sure I got the right one, am I going to http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/ and then downloading "PC (Intel x86) desktop CD"?

If so, I just tried it and it didn't work either.

I just want to make sure I'm booting off of it correctly and then doing the correct thing once I boot.
So I boot from CD, and for Ubuntu I was given the options of installing it or trying it out without installing it...running it off the CD. Once I boot up into the GUI, I open up My Computer and all I see is my Backup drive (IDE), my CD drive and the file system. I do not see my SATA drive.

Do I need to mount it or should I just be able to see it?

7.10 is over a year old, any reason you're not trying http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.10/ ?

But really you're question isn't about finding a dist that support sata+raid, because THEY ALL DO. Your question is about finding one that works with your controller AND the disc format of whatever windows drivers is used to manage an existing stripset, with NTFS? I'm reading between the lines.

There's a simple rule: If you're gonna use RAID on linux, either use fully dedicated hardware RAID, or use native software RAID through mdadm.

Find out what chipset is driving the ports you're trying to use. Is it JMicron, Highpoint, whatever. Then google "linux <chipset>" and see what pops up.

7.10 is over a year old, any reason you're not trying http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.10/ ?

But really you're question isn't about finding a dist that support sata+raid, because THEY ALL DO. Your question is about finding one that works with your controller AND the disc format of whatever windows drivers is used to manage an existing stripset, with NTFS? I'm reading between the lines.

There's a simple rule: If you're gonna use RAID on linux, either use fully dedicated hardware RAID, or use native software RAID through mdadm.

Find out what chipset is driving the ports you're trying to use. Is it JMicron, Highpoint, whatever. Then google "linux <chipset>" and see what pops up.

The reason why I'm having him go with 7.10 is that there is a bug in the kernel with certain WD second generation drives. Therefore I'm having him use a kernel which lacks the issue. Also 7.10 leaves out PulseAudio, which can give some people headaches. I'm merely giving advice to use a version that's very mature in it's own right even if it's "old".

Although it looks as though he's having problems with the drives even being recognized.

Just to make sure I got the right one, am I going to http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/ and then downloading "PC (Intel x86) desktop CD"?

If so, I just tried it and it didn't work either.

I just want to make sure I'm booting off of it correctly and then doing the correct thing once I boot.
So I boot from CD, and for Ubuntu I was given the options of installing it or trying it out without installing it...running it off the CD. Once I boot up into the GUI, I open up My Computer and all I see is my Backup drive (IDE), my CD drive and the file system. I do not see my SATA drive.

Do I need to mount it or should I just be able to see it?

Once you boot into the linux desktop. Open up the terminal and type "sudo fdisk -l" and see if your drives appear there.

Once you boot into the linux desktop. Open up the terminal and type "sudo fdisk -l" and see if your drives appear there.

Yes, both my sata drivers appear.
I recall there is a unix command to build a raid in order to view it, does anyone know it offhand?

Ok believe it or not we are getting somewhere. If you can see the drives then the kernel can communicate with the drives out of raid. So your issue is either where the raid is assembled (double check your BIOS settings) or compatibilty with the Raid controller. In which case you can do a software raid to get around the issue. You therefore can use the latest version of Ubuntu. See if this guide works for creating software raid.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=408461

Although I don't know of a way to re consolidate an active array when not detected by the kernel via command line. So if you are trying to keep your current data please read the guide carefully to ensure you don't destroy your data. You'll have to do some searching to find out how to do this, or which is probably a better option, buy a cheap known to be supported raid card and backup your data and rebuild your array.

Back