Looking for a bare minimum GPU for Ubuntu

Astralogic

Gawd
The cheapest GPU's i've seen from nvidia are the 1gb 1030's and it seems to me like that would be cheapest thing to get but I'd like to make sure first, I'd prefer something cheaper though.

Right now I'm using the integrated GPU on my 4770, it does the job very well but I don't like how unsmooth the mouse movement is compared to using an nvidia GPU, so that's really all I want out of the GPU, a nicer framerate on my desktop (Which runs at 3440x1440). I want to stick with nvidia since they work better in Ubuntu (at least that's what I hear).

Any and all advice is welcome.
Thanks

Older might actually be better here - the older cards are going to have more mature Linux support. I think you pretty much want the cheapest Nvidia card with DP1.2, which is probably a GT 730?

Yeah, older cards seem to have better Linux support. I was using a GTX 750 Ti for a spare card, worked in Ubuntu with no problem.

Check out the used market. I got a used 1050ti for $100 and it is smooth as butter on my Ubuntu workstation. They might even be going for sub $100 now.

I'm really trying to minimize the cost, it's only to make my mouse pointer move more smoothly :)

Have you checked the composition update rate? I think it should be in Compiz, I've seen it default to 50 Hz, which will make the desktop choppy if you have a 60Hz or higher monitor.

Have you checked the composition update rate? I think it should be in Compiz, I've seen it default to 50 Hz, which will make the desktop choppy if you have a 60Hz or higher monitor.

I'm using Ubuntu Budgie, and I don't know what Compiz is or if it's a part of Ubuntu (I don't have a Compiz entry in my apps menu). That's interesting though, I'll look into that.

Onboard graphics should have a smooth mouse. If they don't, something is wrong which a new graphics card may not fix.

Back