• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for a 775 mATX mobo...

BurntToast

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Messages
3,678
I'm looking at getting the ASUS P5E-VM so far. But the Atheros chipset turns me off. Also a more updated Realtek chipset wouldn't be that bad either.

The P5Q-EM looks interesting, but I hear that it has issues.

I need a mATX mobo that supports PCIE 16x 1.0 (not 2.0), DDR2 support and is socket 775 compadible with a Q6700.

Is the ASUS P5E-VM the best offering? Or is there something else that I have missed?

If there is a better contender that is in the same price bracket, I will consider it. But I don;t want to pay more for PCIE 2.0 since I have no use for it. But if it comes free, so be it.

Thanks.
 
I have both the P5E-VM and P5Q-EM. I "downgraded" to the P5E for its overclocking abilities. I had no problems at all with the P5Q other than being limited to the 420-430MHz fsb range while the P5E goes 500+ easy. I actually like the P5Q and its built in features more than the P5E (especially optical s/pdif rather than coaxial) but I want that extra 600+ MHz from the processor. I would say you shouldn't have a problem at all with the P5Q but I also had no issues personally with an HD4850 running in there. Some people claim to have addon videocard problems. I ran 8GB of memory in the system for the 4 weeks I used the board before getting the P5E. The sound is crisp from the optical output and the builtin video is pretty good for what it is - especially how they also give you two digital outputs instead of one being vga.

If you need a P5Q that has none of its accessories they come with, I'll be selling mine soon for $80.
 
I"ve been running the Atheros LAN on my P5E-VM HDMI for two months now with no issues. I don't run onboard sound so I have no opinion, go seperate sound card or go home I say.
Unless you wanna take your chances with the P5Q-EM and its video card add on nightmare*good luck with that*, i'd go with the VM. If you want max OC potential, look at the DFI Lanparty Jr, but your gonna pay premium for it
 
How are the new Nvidia 9300/9400s looking?

XFX MI93007 AS9
ASUS P5N7A-VM
GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H
DFI LP JR GF9400-T2RS

I might actually jump on the GF9400-T2RS even though I'm not exactly a DFI fan boy :/ I'd consider the XFX is their support was better.
 
Back
Top