Aug 23, 2005 #1 J jack1201 Weaksauce Joined Aug 18, 2005 Messages 108 Simple question. What is the best 400GB hard drive right now? Seagate, WD or Maxtor? Thanks for any suggestion.
Simple question. What is the best 400GB hard drive right now? Seagate, WD or Maxtor? Thanks for any suggestion.
Aug 23, 2005 #2 D DougLite Supreme [H]ardness Joined Jan 3, 2005 Messages 4,764 Maxtor's 400GB drive isn't available yet, unless you have channels that aren't available to me. WD's 400GB drive should be a pretty zippy drive, if it shows the same gains from the 16MB buffer that WD2500KS and DiamondMax10. Seagate's 400GB drive only needs three 133GB platters, so it delivers pretty high transfer rates, but performance with it is a mixed bag. For data storage, I'd get the Seagate. If you'll be using this as a boot drive, I'd lean towards Western Digital..
Maxtor's 400GB drive isn't available yet, unless you have channels that aren't available to me. WD's 400GB drive should be a pretty zippy drive, if it shows the same gains from the 16MB buffer that WD2500KS and DiamondMax10. Seagate's 400GB drive only needs three 133GB platters, so it delivers pretty high transfer rates, but performance with it is a mixed bag. For data storage, I'd get the Seagate. If you'll be using this as a boot drive, I'd lean towards Western Digital..