Looking for a 3.7 Android

aeroxmax4

Limp Gawd
Hi guys!
actually i have a nexus i9250 but i feel unconfrtable with the dimensions. I loved my previous focus flash, so im thinking going back. But this time a would prefer an android.
Does exist a 3.7 400x800 android Phone?

There are plenty of 3.7" Android phones out there, although the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are older single core designs. The Samsung Galaxy Exhibit was one of my favorites before I got my GNex...

I believe the Nexus One has a 3.7" AMOLED screen, it's got a 1ghz Snapdragon processor similar to the Galaxy Exhibit above.

ok thanks! other think i loved on focus flash was the 3 days battery. It would be perfect if i find an android with same battery duration.

actually the exibith looks very good! and sounds better then the nexus one because its newer

Just found a Galaxy wonder i8150... but on ebay is kinda expensive... this one would be perfect: 3.7 400x800, android, 5mpx....

actually the exibith looks very good! and sounds better then the nexus one because its newer

I'd say the Nexus One is better simply because:

1. It's a Nexus phone so it has a large third party support base with availability of custom ROMs and whatnot. It does support official updates all the way up to Gingerbread, so no Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean without going to a third party ROM developer.

2. It's got way better build quality than the Exhibit and probably a better camera too.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my Exhibit... in particular the incredibly long battery life. I'm just putting the facts out there.

I would wait for someone else to weigh in here... I'm sure there is a current Android phone with Ice Cream Sandwich and a 3.7" screen. I just can't think of any at the moment. :)

I personally couldn't imagine giving up my i9250 (Galaxy Nexus) for something less powerful with a smaller screen... lol... you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands!

hehehe maybe you right... maybe i just have to get used to it. i dont know...
the 1 day battery really demotivated me...

3.7" is largely a dead form factor as far as decent new phones, but you might be able to tolerate one of the more compact 4" devices. If you can track down the Motorola RAZR M or RAZR i in whatever your region is, it might be acceptable -- it's roughly the same size as the iPhone 5.

If it's battery life you're bothered with you're pretty much out of luck with any smartphone. Most of us are used to putting our phones on the charger in the car, and at home when we go to bed. True, some phones are better than others... but there isn't a lot of difference between smartphones.

Custom ROMs and custom kernels that have been tweaked for battery life can certainly help. For instance I'm running Cyanogenmod 10 and LeanKernel on my Galaxy Nexus and it's gotten me a good 30% more battery life over the stock ROM... but I can still run my battery down in a half day if I'm playing games constantly or watching videos constantly.

Otherwise if I'm just checking and posting on Facebook occasionally, checking emails occasionally, snapping a picture, etc my battery usually lasts almost two days on my GNex.

what about the LG Optimus P970??

The P970 (Aka The Optimus Black) is a great phone, it's actually one of my favorites before I got the Nexus, but again coming from the Galaxy Nexus you're going to be dissapointed with the slower single core CPU.

Then again if you don't do much with your phone aside from basic stuff then a fast CPU won't matter much.

The Optimus Black is definitely built well, that's one of the things I liked about it. The Gorilla Glass screen in particular...

Camera on the Optimus Black is ok, mediocre along the lines of all the other phones in it's price range.

maybe i can try a 4.0.... but those razr are all above 4.3
And the chassis is the same size as a very svelte 4" device. If you live near a retailer carrying them, try handling one; you might be pleasantly surprised.

No one mentioned the HTC One S, or is that not allowed?

I thought about mentioning it, but with a 4.3" screen that's really not much smaller than his current Galaxy Nexus....

Take a look at the smaller Sony Xperia's (like the Xperia U). They're fairly powerful despite being small.

The Xperia GX is particularly packed since it has the Krait hardware of the One X but in a 3.7" format. Unfortunately it's Japan only at the moment.

If you're on Verizon, the HTC Droid Incredible? The original one is 3.7". The Droid Incredible 2 and the current Droid Incredible 4G LTE are 4", if you're okay with that.

If it's battery life you're bothered with you're pretty much out of luck with any smartphone. Most of us are used to putting our phones on the charger in the car, and at home when we go to bed. True, some phones are better than others... but there isn't a lot of difference between smartphones.

Custom ROMs and custom kernels that have been tweaked for battery life can certainly help. For instance I'm running Cyanogenmod 10 and LeanKernel on my Galaxy Nexus and it's gotten me a good 30% more battery life over the stock ROM... but I can still run my battery down in a half day if I'm playing games constantly or watching videos constantly.

Otherwise if I'm just checking and posting on Facebook occasionally, checking emails occasionally, snapping a picture, etc my battery usually lasts almost two days on my GNex.

I could try a custom rom... the problem is where to find the time to do it :p

I could try a custom rom... the problem is where to find the time to do it :p

Also on the battery front, since you seem to be interested in that phone with a 2000 mah battery, you do know you can get extended capacity batteries for the Nexus, right?

OEM 2000mah extended battery by Samsung adds 500 mah (about 30% more capacity than the stock 1500mah battery). This battery is VERY SLIGHTLY thicker than the original battery and so it comes with a replacement back cover for the phone.

If you want more than twice the original battery capacity you can get one of the MANY third party batteries like this one. These are pretty good cheap chinese batteries and I've had nothing but good luck with them on other phones. However it should be noted that these batteries do not have the NFC capability that the stock battery does - so NFC communications wouldn't work. I've had my GNex for months now and never once used NFC (Android Beam)... so this is a non-issue for me. These batteries are also twice as thick as the original Samsung battery and so they pretty much make the phone almost twice as thick which may be a problem for you. They also come with a replacement back cover to accomodate the extra battery thickness.

Just thought I'd throw a couple of options your way.

What I did with my old Galaxy Exhibit was to buy a combo on Ebay like this one that comes with TWO extended batteries and an external desktop charger. That way I always had TWO extra batteries in my pocket (the stock battery and the extra extended battery) in case the one in my phone ran down.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You've gotten a lot of suggestions, but I wanted to chime in just in case you haven't made up your mind yet. First, you say that you prefer a 3.7" screen. However, times have changed since the OG iPhone and even the Droid Incredible. Bezels have gotten smaller. The 2011 HTC Desire S was a smaller device than the 2010 HTC Desire despite both having similar 3.7" displays. The shrunken bezel made the device smaller. So what you should likely concern yourself with are the physical dimensions. Here's a link to illustrate my point (this website hasn't been updated in forever, but these old phones certainly help).

http://phone-size.com/?s=34,15,66,67,99

From left to right are the HTC Desire, Desire S, Droid Incredible, Incredible 2, and Motorola Atrix 4G. The first three phones all have 3.7" screens, but notice how the Desire S (2011) is smaller than the Desire/Incredible (2010) due to the decreased bezel. This is even more noticeable when we look at two more 2011 phones, the Incredible 2 (4.0" screen) and the Atrix 4G (4.0" screen). The Atrix's dimensions are almost identical to the Desire S, and almost dead on with the Droid Incredible, despite having a larger screen. So it is possible to get a larger screen and a smaller phone.

Now, another point to display:

http://phone-size.com/?s=3,7,67

From here, we see the Galaxy Nexus, the Galaxy SII, and the Incredible 2. The Galaxy Nexus is a good example because the dimensions are similar to larger phones today like the Galaxy SIII and the upcoming LG Nexus 4. It's a good illustration of what you've considered to be "too big." The Incredible 2 is what many here have recommended in place of the 3.7" display that you desire. So, I've included the Galaxy SII to show that with today's smaller bezels, you may even be able to go up as high as 4.3" without getting too much larger. There are phones with 4.2"/4.3" displays today that are marginally smaller than the Galaxy SII.

I'm going to put together a list of phones between the Desire S and the Galaxy SII in size so that you have a full gamut of recommendations, including those already recommended. Hopefully this will be of further help for you. I'll post that additional info tonight as soon as I finish putting it together.

EDIT:

http://phone-size.com/?s=15,57,7

Here's a links showing the Desire S, Focus Flash, and Galaxy SII. I'm looking for phones at least as large as the Desire S, no larger than the Galaxy SII, and as close to the Focus Flash as possible. Any recommendation I make to you will be compared in size to the Focus Flash.

Last edited:
I did some digging and found four phones that are current in hardware and are between the Desire S and Galaxy S II in size. I know the latter may be too big for those looking at 3.7", but it is a far cry from the Galaxy Nexus that you currently have and may be a worthy compromise for you, but let's see. Also, I'm a big fan of unlocked phones. More choice, fewer limitations, and cheaper plans. Despite minor differences, all phones listed below have the same carrier compatibility witch I will explain at the end.

Samsung Galaxy S III Mini
Blue - $450
White - $450

Smallest phone in this comparison, about 3mm taller than the Focus Flash. 480x800 4" screen, however, the dual-core 1ghz processor is from an undisclosed maker, so unsure if it's Exynos or a slower processor. Should see a lot of support though. Ships with Android 4.1. Update to 4.2 hasn't been announced yet for obvious reasons, but is incredibly likely. Unknown if it will work on AT&T Medianet. Has a 14.4mbps radio.

Sony Xperia P
Black - $410
Silver - $400

The Xperia P is a solid phone, with a dual-core A9 CPU and Mali-400MP GPU, it's essentially a Galaxy S II at 1.0ghz (real GS2 is 1.2ghz). Comes with Android 4.0, update to 4.1 has been announced. 540x960 4" display, phone dimensions make it 0.4mm taller than the SGS3 Mini above. This may be a winner for you. Specs are solid, 1GB RAM, 16GB internal storage, and MicroSD expansion available. Has a 14.4mbps HSPA+ radio and is likely to work on AT&T medianet.

Motorola RAZR i XT890
Grey - $525
White - $550

Same 21mbps performance as the Galaxy S II. Phone is a nuthair (0.5mm) taller than the Xperia P, but still significantly smaller than the S II. Despite being single-core, it's using the Intel Atom Z2460 2ghz CPU, PowerVR SGX540 GPU (very competent if not high end), 1GB of RAM, and Android 4.0.4 (confirmed upgrade to 4.1). Incredible build quality, kevlar back, splash resistant, and is LIKELY to work on AT&T Medianet. 4.3" 540x960 screen, the largest screen you will get in a body this small.

Samsung Galaxy S II
Black - $470
White - $530

The big daddy for 2011, obviously, this is the largest phone that I can recommend for someone preferring a 3.7" device. I upgraded from the Droid Incredible to this and never looked back. Slightly more powerful than the Xperia P above, supports 21mbps HSPA+ (faster 3G/4G), but lower resolution 480x800 4.3" screen. Black one WILL work on Medianet, white one WILL NOT. Currently has Android 4.0.4, will be updated to 4.1.x in November according to Samsung.

As explained above, all phones have the same US carrier compatibility, which is as follows.

T-Mobile, Straight Talk (T-MO sim), and Simple Mobile:
Will work fine on 2G, but will not work on 3G/4G until spectrum refarm is complete. This will be done by mid-2013, and you can check THIS LINK to see if your area has been refarmed.

AT&T, Straight Talk (ATT sim):
All phones will work on 2G, 3G, and fake 4G (HSPA+)

Medianet:
Medianet is a beautiful AT&T data plan that is $15/mo ($10/mo if you have unlimited text), with NO THROTTLING. I use it on my SGS2. I've used over 15GB this month halfway through the billing cycle. Mobile hotpsot works with no limitations or the need for a separate hotspot/tethering plan. This plan is IMEI based and won't work with all phones. If considering this, check with me, others here, or over at XDA for instructions on how to set it up.

HSPA+ 14/21mbps:
This is the theoretical radio speed on the phone, you will never see these speeds outside of a lab. I've seen 9/14mbps max on these radios, with AT&T Medianet being capped at 7.2mbps actual. So, the two phones (SGS2, RAZR i) with 21mbps radios have the potential for faster data.

Look at a RAZR M / RAZR i.
4.3" but the dimensions are the same as an iP5.

Look at a RAZR M / RAZR i.
4.3" but the dimensions are the same as an iP5.

RAZR m is a solid recommendation. Same phone as the RAZR i, but using Snapdragon S4 (dual-core Krait) instead of Intel. CPU benchmarks put them in close proximity to each other, but Intel is new in this field so I would speculate that the RAZR m would get more developer support. PowerVR SGX540 is faster than Adreno 225, if the GPU matters.

NOTE: The SGX540 comes in several flavors, ranging from the Hummingbird SOC (original Galaxy S) all the way up to OMAP4 (Galaxy Nexus and a few others). The most recent incarnations have been seriously overclocked. Adreno 225 beats the first incarnation, but the latter versions beat the Adreno 225, and even match up well with the Mali-400MP in some cases. Solid mobile GPU even by today's standards. So, that's one case where the RAZR i beats the RAZR m.

Samsung galaxy s blaze would probably be perfect for you.

T-Mobile phone, so even though it could be brought to another carrier, it will still have TMO bloatware on it without root/rom. Also limited to Android 2.3.6 despite solid hardware. Unless it's vastly cheaper than my recommendations, I'd avoid it. All four phones listed in my previous post offer comparable hardware and ICS or higher out of the box.

RAZR m is a solid recommendation. Same phone as the RAZR i, but using Snapdragon S4 (dual-core Krait) instead of Intel. CPU benchmarks put them in close proximity to each other, but Intel is new in this field so I would speculate that the RAZR m would get more developer support. PowerVR SGX540 is faster than Adreno 225, if the GPU matters.

NOTE: The SGX540 comes in several flavors, ranging from the Hummingbird SOC (original Galaxy S) all the way up to OMAP4 (Galaxy Nexus and a few others). The most recent incarnations have been seriously overclocked. Adreno 225 beats the first incarnation, but the latter versions beat the Adreno 225, and even match up well with the Mali-400MP in some cases. Solid mobile GPU even by today's standards. So, that's one case where the RAZR i beats the RAZR m.

I think you might be confusing the Adreno 220 and the 225. The 220 was made to compete with the single core SGX540. The 225 is a beast in comparison.

Benchmark:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5559/qualcomm-snapdragon-s4-krait-performance-preview-msm8960-adreno-225-benchmarks/3

The only fast SGX54x are the multicore variants and are almost exclusively in Apples.

If you look at the charts, the HTC Rezound is an Adreno 220, and the Galaxy Nexus and Optimus 3D are SGX540, although I think the device with the 225 is rendering at 1024x600, so the results are a little skewed in the first graphs, but even the Optimus 3D @ 800x480 scores less. The off-screen render shows it is a superior GPU however.

Last edited:
The blaze is $299 new off contract.4 inch screen super amoled, 1.5ghz dual core S3 cpu, 1gb ram, 4gb internal, Micro sd slot, Has ICS on it right now stock.
Any one can download odin, and flash a deodexed, de bloated ICS rom for the phone that is completely stable. So getting rid of the bloat is a 5 minute process and the phone runs super fast. I traded my htc sensation 4g for it and I don't regret it one bit

I think you might be confusing the Adreno 220 and the 225. The 220 was made to compete with the single core SGX540. The 225 is a beast in comparison.

Benchmark:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5559/qualcomm-snapdragon-s4-krait-performance-preview-msm8960-adreno-225-benchmarks/3

The only fast SGX54x are the multicore variants and are almost exclusively in Apples.

If you look at the charts, the HTC Rezound is an Adreno 220, and the Galaxy Nexus and Optimus 3D are SGX540, although I think the device with the 225 is rendering at 1024x600, so the results are a little skewed in the first graphs, but even the Optimus 3D @ 800x480 scores less. The off-screen render shows it is a superior GPU however.

You're right, thank you for that. I was thinking of the Adreno 220. RAZR m is faster than the RAZR i.

The blaze is $299 new off contract.4 inch screen super amoled, 1.5ghz dual core S3 cpu, 1gb ram, 4gb internal, Micro sd slot, Has ICS on it right now stock.
Any one can download odin, and flash a deodexed, de bloated ICS rom for the phone that is completely stable. So getting rid of the bloat is a 5 minute process and the phone runs super fast. I traded my htc sensation 4g for it and I don't regret it one bit

Since it does have ICS, that's a huge plus in its favor. Apparently that update occurred earlier this month. However, every phone that I mentioned either has 4.1 or is confirmed as getting 4.1 They're also not carrier branded, so updates come faster. The Galaxy S Blaze 4G more than likely just got its last update, if T-Mobile's history is any indication. But, at $299, it's a solid offering. I can't disagree with that.

Last edited:
They exist. I got myself a Sony Xperia sola for work and it fits the bill. Modern hardware and only about 6 months old.

They exist. I got myself a Sony Xperia sola for work and it fits the bill. Modern hardware and only about 6 months old.

Good call.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...NodeId=1&Description=sony+xperia+sola&x=0&y=0

Same hardware as the Xperia P, just smaller form factor and screen. This phone is actually a tad smaller than his old Focus Flash, but pretty close. It's got very competent hardware, dual-core A9 1ghz + Mali-400MP. So, high-end for 2011, mid-range for today.

Also on the battery front, since you seem to be interested in that phone with a 2000 mah battery, you do know you can get extended capacity batteries for the Nexus, right?

OEM 2000mah extended battery by Samsung adds 500 mah (about 30% more capacity than the stock 1500mah battery). This battery is VERY SLIGHTLY thicker than the original battery and so it comes with a replacement back cover for the phone.

Thank you for the advice, this one looks interesting!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I did some digging and found four phones that are current in hardware and are between the Desire S and Galaxy S II in size. I know the latter may be too big for those looking at 3.7", but it is a far cry from the Galaxy Nexus that you currently have and may be a worthy compromise for you, but let's see. Also, I'm a big fan of unlocked phones. More choice, fewer limitations, and cheaper plans. Despite minor differences, all phones listed below have the same carrier compatibility witch I will explain at the end.

Samsung Galaxy S III Mini
Blue - $450
White - $450

Smallest phone in this comparison, about 3mm taller than the Focus Flash. 480x800 4" screen, however, the dual-core 1ghz processor is from an undisclosed maker, so unsure if it's Exynos or a slower processor. Should see a lot of support though. Ships with Android 4.1. Update to 4.2 hasn't been announced yet for obvious reasons, but is incredibly likely. Unknown if it will work on AT&T Medianet. Has a 14.4mbps radio.

Sony Xperia P
Black - $410
Silver - $400

The Xperia P is a solid phone, with a dual-core A9 CPU and Mali-400MP GPU, it's essentially a Galaxy S II at 1.0ghz (real GS2 is 1.2ghz). Comes with Android 4.0, update to 4.1 has been announced. 540x960 4" display, phone dimensions make it 0.4mm taller than the SGS3 Mini above. This may be a winner for you. Specs are solid, 1GB RAM, 16GB internal storage, and MicroSD expansion available. Has a 14.4mbps HSPA+ radio and is likely to work on AT&T medianet.

Motorola RAZR i XT890
Grey - $525
White - $550

Same 21mbps performance as the Galaxy S II. Phone is a nuthair (0.5mm) taller than the Xperia P, but still significantly smaller than the S II. Despite being single-core, it's using the Intel Atom Z2460 2ghz CPU, PowerVR SGX540 GPU (very competent if not high end), 1GB of RAM, and Android 4.0.4 (confirmed upgrade to 4.1). Incredible build quality, kevlar back, splash resistant, and is LIKELY to work on AT&T Medianet. 4.3" 540x960 screen, the largest screen you will get in a body this small.

Samsung Galaxy S II
Black - $470
White - $530

The big daddy for 2011, obviously, this is the largest phone that I can recommend for someone preferring a 3.7" device. I upgraded from the Droid Incredible to this and never looked back. Slightly more powerful than the Xperia P above, supports 21mbps HSPA+ (faster 3G/4G), but lower resolution 480x800 4.3" screen. Black one WILL work on Medianet, white one WILL NOT. Currently has Android 4.0.4, will be updated to 4.1.x in November according to Samsung.

As explained above, all phones have the same US carrier compatibility, which is as follows.

T-Mobile, Straight Talk (T-MO sim), and Simple Mobile:
Will work fine on 2G, but will not work on 3G/4G until spectrum refarm is complete. This will be done by mid-2013, and you can check THIS LINK to see if your area has been refarmed.

AT&T, Straight Talk (ATT sim):
All phones will work on 2G, 3G, and fake 4G (HSPA+)

Medianet:
Medianet is a beautiful AT&T data plan that is $15/mo ($10/mo if you have unlimited text), with NO THROTTLING. I use it on my SGS2. I've used over 15GB this month halfway through the billing cycle. Mobile hotpsot works with no limitations or the need for a separate hotspot/tethering plan. This plan is IMEI based and won't work with all phones. If considering this, check with me, others here, or over at XDA for instructions on how to set it up.

HSPA+ 14/21mbps:
This is the theoretical radio speed on the phone, you will never see these speeds outside of a lab. I've seen 9/14mbps max on these radios, with AT&T Medianet being capped at 7.2mbps actual. So, the two phones (SGS2, RAZR i) with 21mbps radios have the potential for faster data.

OMG, medion thank you!! how can i give you reputation?? i think the s3 mini would be perfect for me. otherwise a was thinkin in a cheaper used s2. Looking the site with the dimension comparison it looks smaller enough than the nexus. Sony and motorola i dont know why but i dont like them, i prefer sam.

You've gotten a lot of suggestions, but I wanted to chime in just in case you haven't made up your mind yet. First, you say that you prefer a 3.7" screen. However, times have changed since the OG iPhone and even the Droid Incredible. Bezels have gotten smaller. The 2011 HTC Desire S was a smaller device than the 2010 HTC Desire despite both having similar 3.7" displays. The shrunken bezel made the device smaller. So what you should likely concern yourself with are the physical dimensions. Here's a link to illustrate my point (this website hasn't been updated in forever, but these old phones certainly help).

http://phone-size.com/?s=34,15,66,67,99

From left to right are the HTC Desire, Desire S, Droid Incredible, Incredible 2, and Motorola Atrix 4G. The first three phones all have 3.7" screens, but notice how the Desire S (2011) is smaller than the Desire/Incredible (2010) due to the decreased bezel. This is even more noticeable when we look at two more 2011 phones, the Incredible 2 (4.0" screen) and the Atrix 4G (4.0" screen). The Atrix's dimensions are almost identical to the Desire S, and almost dead on with the Droid Incredible, despite having a larger screen. So it is possible to get a larger screen and a smaller phone.

Now, another point to display:

http://phone-size.com/?s=3,7,67

From here, we see the Galaxy Nexus, the Galaxy SII, and the Incredible 2. The Galaxy Nexus is a good example because the dimensions are similar to larger phones today like the Galaxy SIII and the upcoming LG Nexus 4. It's a good illustration of what you've considered to be "too big." The Incredible 2 is what many here have recommended in place of the 3.7" display that you desire. So, I've included the Galaxy SII to show that with today's smaller bezels, you may even be able to go up as high as 4.3" without getting too much larger. There are phones with 4.2"/4.3" displays today that are marginally smaller than the Galaxy SII.

I'm going to put together a list of phones between the Desire S and the Galaxy SII in size so that you have a full gamut of recommendations, including those already recommended. Hopefully this will be of further help for you. I'll post that additional info tonight as soon as I finish putting it together.

EDIT:

http://phone-size.com/?s=15,57,7

Here's a links showing the Desire S, Focus Flash, and Galaxy SII. I'm looking for phones at least as large as the Desire S, no larger than the Galaxy SII, and as close to the Focus Flash as possible. Any recommendation I make to you will be compared in size to the Focus Flash.

this phone size page saved my life!! hehe thank you very much!

Back