looking for a 24 port GOOD gigabit switch

maxedoutcc

Gawd
I'm doing some networking for a game company and I need to find a good true gigabit switch that is

a. stackable
b. 1000mb over all ports
c. reliable.

They currently have a netgear gigabit switch but it keeps crapping on them. and its only an 8 port and they really need more. I looked at cisco but more of the ones I saw are POE and I dont need POE for anything and would like to find a slightly cheaper alternative.

thanks in advance for any advice.

check dell, hp procurve, or 3com....

google for "managed layer 3 switches"....they will be a little cheaper than cisco, but not by much.

#1 cisco
#2 HP procurve
#3 whouldn't buy anything else for a bsuiness.

If they're on a tight budget, you might look at some of the Hawking Technologies products. I've been using an HGS16S for a few years at home (in an aggressive home office setup) and haven't had any problems with it. You should be able to find it for less than $300, and it supports jumbo frames.

I'm doing some networking for a game company and I need to find a good true gigabit switch that is

a. stackable
b. 1000mb over all ports
c. reliable.

They currently have a netgear gigabit switch but it keeps crapping on them. and its only an 8 port and they really need more. I looked at cisco but more of the ones I saw are POE and I dont need POE for anything and would like to find a slightly cheaper alternative.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Cisco Catalyst 3750G-24T

Only switch that covers all your needs, of course i've used the 3com variant and it was a POS.

EDIT: You could go with a Cisco Catalyst 3560G-24TS but it does not support "stacking".

Stackable? Netgear has 24/48p full gig switches with 10g stacking rings also (slightly expensive, well worth cost though). I dont know to be exact whether hp/cisco have stackable.

Cisco Catalyst 3750G-24T

Only switch that covers all your needs, of course I’ve used the 3com variant and it was a POS.

EDIT: You could go with a Cisco Catalyst 3560G-24TS but it does not support "stacking".

I highly doubt that is the ONLY switch that covers all his needs. Especialy depending on his definition of "stacking". True stacking is where you can add more chassis and they act as a single unit.

Both these HP's support stacking

Maybe a ProCurve Switch 2810-24G. About $1400

The HP 2900 series has 10Gb up-links for about $2500 (24 port)

Plus HP's warranty
"The new switches include ProCurve's legendary warranty — next-business-day advance replacement (in most countries), free telephone and email support, and free software updates — for as long as you own the product."

If you are not talking about true stacking, but just mean you can uplink to multiple switches then Quite frankly a Dell 2724 or 2716 for about $200 to $300 would probably do what your looking for considering what your coming from. It supports "Link aggregation" so you can use 4 ports to create a 4 gig interlink between switches if needed.

procurves are stackable

Stacking capability: single IP address management for a virtual stack of up to 16 switches, including the ProCurve 2500 series, 2510 series, 2600 series, 2800 series, 2810 series, 3400cl series, 6108, 6400cl series, 4200vl series, and 4100gl series

Cisco 3750G's will stack nicely for you. They stack into a 32gbps ring which is essentially an extension of the bus.

3560's will work also, but as was mentioned, they dont stack.

procurves are stackable

That's odd that the 2900's are not listed, if you go to the 2900 features list it lists itself..

single IP address management for a virtual stack of up to 16 switches, including the ProCurve 2500 series, 2510 series, 2600 series, 2800 series, 2810 series, 2900 series, 3400cl series, 3500yl series, 6108, 6200yl, 6400cl series, 4200vl series, and 4100gl series

Back