Looking for 27" LED recommendations - WQHD

Why? PDC is only slightly clearer compared to a glossy coating, the blacks look grayish and monitors with PDC all seem to have obvious back-light bleeding.

I'm not entirely sure... My experience with the colors of the DD ultra left me wanting to at least have one like that around. But if the bleeding is universal on these... even the ACD's have it. What would you suggest for a reference monitor anyway? Crossover 2720MDP?

Last edited:
Man those hoods look weird. I get it but yah the "real" reference monitors are way out of my comfort zone. I have to stay in the world of affordable monitors for now. I would think a reference monitor you'd want to be glossy for max clarity but I guess in the professional world ag is a must. Even with the hood, though? So I was thinking the crossover would be good for static imaging work like photo editing.

P.S. Every time I walk into the "playroom" I'm fixated by my wife's Eizo FG2421. Granted it's the pick of the litter out of 5 units... but it is really a shock to see one when you get used to an IPS/PLS for a while. They've not said enough about the viewing angles, you can go completely flat looking at the thing from the side and it's still clear as day. And the color depth is just retarded... I miss it. I'm an idiot for giving it to her. She plays FFXIV at 60Hz on it. Damn shame. She's not stupid, if I tried to switch it out with a cheaper VA she would kill me, and now she's starting to get the idea how rare a gem it is. It's not just a Porsche right? It's a Porsche that won Le Mans and doesn't have a scratch on it. Most of the other FG's I tried were just junk compared to it. So weird.

Last edited:
I would think a reference monitor you'd want to be glossy for max clarity but I guess in the professional world ag is a must.

It definitely isn't. Matte coatings turn ambient light into a white haze/blob and washes out the colors in very bright environments while glossy coatings remain clear and it is easy to not focus on the reflections.

Once calibrated with dispcalGUI the 2720MDP can cover at least 98% of the sRGB color space and the native color gamut fully covers the sRGB gamut unlike most monitors which fall short in some areas.

It definitely isn't. Matte coatings turn ambient light into a white haze/blob and washes out the colors in very bright environments while glossy coatings remain clear and it is easy to not focus on the reflections.

Once calibrated with dispcalGUI the 2720MDP can cover at least 98% of the sRGB color space and the native color gamut fully covers the sRGB gamut unlike most monitors which fall short in some areas.

Sweet. I need something reliable to compare the overclockers to for the silly 1440pOverclocking monitor review I'm planning. Was gonna start a whole new thread for it and everything. :rolleyes:

I think it's only fair they all be compared to a non-overclocking, reasonably priced, high quality import. I'm cheating, though. As I understand it the Crossover 2720MDP I've been looking at ordering is an A+ panel direct from LG and has a 100% PP guarantee. Only offer I could find like that.

That Eizo is so hot, but 8-bit+FRC is ideal to me, especially after checking out the AOC. The matrix is very very important. Whatever =Dead= means by that. The magic inside the box. But if I were going to spend big money on a monitor I'm pretty sure it would be the Duravision FW24 whatever it is. Don't even need Turbo240, but I bet it works better on that sucker.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is the AOC the monitor to get these days (for non-gaming) ?

Is the AOC the monitor to get these days (for non-gaming) ?

Based on what I've been reading the AOC is the best name-brand monitor besides the Eizo EV2736W, which tends to be much more expensive. A lot of places have the AOC on sale for $550, which is a great price for such a good monitor.

The BenQ BL2710PT is also in the price range and many people seem to like it, but it isn't better than the AOC from the reports I've read and it is slightly more expensive. The Viewsonic VP2770 is a good monitor, but does not perform better than the others and is quite a bit more expensive. Viewsonic will need to lower the price if they want to compete with these newer 1440p monitors.

The only thing I've still seen mixed reports on is the warranty length for the AOC, but you can get a third party warranty and still end up cheaper than the others.

Based on what I've been reading the AOC is the best name-brand monitor besides the Eizo EV2736W, which tends to be much more expensive. A lot of places have the AOC on sale for $550, which is a great price for such a good monitor.

The BenQ BL2710PT is also in the price range and many people seem to like it, but it isn't better than the AOC from the reports I've read and it is slightly more expensive. The Viewsonic VP2770 is a good monitor, but does not perform better than the others and is quite a bit more expensive. Viewsonic will need to lower the price if they want to compete with these newer 1440p monitors.

The only thing I've still seen mixed reports on is the warranty length for the AOC, but you can get a third party warranty and still end up cheaper than the others.

Looked like all three of these monitors have a three year warranty from what I've seen.

Have seen the Viewsonic on Amazon for $675 inc/s&h. Via some place called Galaxy (with good reviews).

Looked like all three of these monitors have a three year warranty from what I've seen.

Have seen the Viewsonic on Amazon for $675 inc/s&h. Via some place called Galaxy (with good reviews).

If you are not purchasing directly from Amazon (for example through a third party using Amazon), you'll want to check the third party company's return policy. With any monitor you may get a bad unit, so you'll want to make sure you can return it easily and without expensive shipping costs. You'll also want to make sure they will accept returns/exchanges for issues like back-light bleed and dead pixels.

$675 is a good price for the VP2770, however from what I've heard the AOC performs better for less money. Don't get me wrong, I like my VP2770, but there just seem to be other monitors out there that perform the same or better for less money. Then of course there is the still good BenQ BL2710PT and the highly recommended Eizo EV2736W. There really are a lot of good choices.

If you are not purchasing directly from Amazon (for example through a third party using Amazon), you'll want to check the third party company's return policy. With any monitor you may get a bad unit, so you'll want to make sure you can return it easily and without expensive shipping costs. You'll also want to make sure they will accept returns/exchanges for issues like back-light bleed and dead pixels.

$675 is a good price for the VP2770, however from what I've heard the AOC performs better for less money. Don't get me wrong, I like my VP2770, but there just seem to be other monitors out there that perform the same or better for less money. Then of course there is the still good BenQ BL2710PT and the highly recommended Eizo EV2736W. There really are a lot of good choices.

Actually it's $657. Think I like the look of the Viewsonic better but the AOC seems to make sense. Just not at all familiar at all with AOC.

I like the Eizo specs but it's over $900.

Actually it's $657. Think I like the look of the Viewsonic better but the AOC seems to make sense. Just not at all familiar at all with AOC.

The AOC I just received is pretty good. The OSD is a bit clunky, but the monitor is well-built. Mine has no backlight bleed whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised if it uses the exact same PLS as the VP2770.

I like the Eizo specs but it's over $900.

I literally just tried both of those monitors along side an apple thunderbolt for my Mac mini. Price was not a factor for me and the AOC was still the best and it's the one I'm keeping. I did have to replace the first one for a dead pixel but the second one seems perfect.

I literally just tried both of those monitors along side an apple thunderbolt for my Mac mini. Price was not a factor for me and the AOC was still the best and it's the one I'm keeping. I did have to replace the first one for a dead pixel but the second one seems perfect.

I just posted in this thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1808339

I ordered it last night from Amazon. Been scouring reviews and threads for settings. Would love to hear how you have it set up.

Did you order it from Amazon?

I got mine through Amazon. They put it inside another box, which I much prefer to that old-hen store that ships monitors directly in the factory box.

Last edited:
I've had a Viewsonic VP2770 for a few days. It's great so far. Seems like I got a good one with a Feb., 2014 manufacture date. But this AOC display has me wondering. I wish I'd seen the words about that one sooner, but I missed it altogether. I'm semi-tempted to order one and keep the one I like the most.

I've had a Viewsonic VP2770 for a few days. It's great so far. Seems like I got a good one with a Feb., 2014 manufacture date. But this AOC display has me wondering. I wish I'd seen the words about that one sooner, but I missed it altogether. I'm semi-tempted to order one and keep the one I like the most.

Where did you order it from and did you get a good price? Has the base size been any issue for you based on it's size and how it's spread out instead of a small circle like some of the others?

I would not advise bothering to compare. A good VP2770 is probably so close to the AOC in PQ that it isn't worth discussing. They will have more variance with other units of their same model than with each other possibly. A good calibration or hand-tweaking session is far more important.

Where did you order it from and did you get a good price? Has the base size been any issue for you based on it's size and how it's spread out instead of a small circle like some of the others?
The base of the AOC stand is one of the few things I did not like about the set. It is not usable for anything but the base of a stand, so it is wasted space. The VP2770 looks more functional in that way, likewise the Viewsonic has a cable passthrough which is sexy and practical.

If you have a good VP2770 keep it. They are basically the same monitor. The difference is the AOC seems to have more consistent build quality, and I think the buttons are better than the touch controls on the VP. It's also cheaper. So if you don't have anything yet there's absolutely no reason to even consider the viewsonic, but if you already have a viewsonic and it's a good one I would keep it, the hassle and expense of returning it would probably negate the price difference.

I paid $670 for the VP2770 at Amazon. A day or two later, the price dropped to $657, but it went back up again in less than 24 hours. The price had been quite a bit higher for while, so as soon as I saw it at $670, I jumped on it.

I had my doubts about the base when researching the monitor and when I opened the box, but I really like it. It's big, but it's also very stable. And, higher up, its rotation and how the display height adjusts is great. I've got the base rotated so that the shorter, rear spoke is at about a 45º angle, so only one of the spokes protrudes toward my keyboard. But it's not in the way of anything. Overall, at worst, it's a non-issue, at best, it's a plus.

If you have a good VP2770 keep it. They are basically the same monitor. The difference is the AOC seems to have more consistent build quality, and I think the buttons are better than the touch controls on the VP. It's also cheaper. So if you don't have anything yet there's absolutely no reason to even consider the viewsonic, but if you already have a viewsonic and it's a good one I would keep it, the hassle and expense of returning it would probably negate the price difference.

Wise words, no doubt, and overwhelmingly it's likely that this is what I'll do. Unless the VP2770 shows flaws of any significance during the return period, I'll keep it for the reasons you suggest. If I already won the panel lottery, there's little point in fishing for a tiny advantage in another display when the odds aren't exactly in my favor.

I paid $670 for the VP2770 at Amazon. A day or two later, the price dropped to $657, but it went back up again in less than 24 hours. The price had been quite a bit higher for while, so as soon as I saw it at $670, I jumped on it.

I had my doubts about the base when researching the monitor and when I opened the box, but I really like it. It's big, but it's also very stable. And, higher up, its rotation and how the display height adjusts is great. I've got the base rotated so that the shorter, rear spoke is at about a 45º angle, so only one of the spokes protrudes toward my keyboard. But it's not in the way of anything. Overall, at worst, it's a non-issue, at best, it's a plus.

Wise words, no doubt, and overwhelmingly it's likely that this is what I'll do. Unless the VP2770 shows flaws of any significance during the return period, I'll keep it for the reasons you suggest. If I already won the panel lottery, there's little point in fishing for a tiny advantage in another display when the odds aren't exactly in my favor.

That's exactly the situation I was in last month. The AOC was just starting to ship when I received my VP2770. I decided to keep my Viewsonic since I received a very good unit without any major flaws. Plus I'm actually a big fan of the stand.

Well I ended up preordering the Tempest X270OC. It's glossy but I think I can get used to it. When I had a 20" 1680x1050 glossy monitor it didn't bother me at all, so I'll see how it is. If worse comes to worse, I can just return it and wait for the pixel perfect AG models to come around.

I don't think it will matter too much, I can cut the lights in my room if need be. I'd prefer the AG version but it sounds like they aren't getting a shipment anytime soon. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Tempest though. I've mostly made up my mind on making a sacrifice for 120Hz capability. Now, it's either the Qnix or Tempest. I'll do more research but it seems like the overlord may be a better choice to avoid gamma problems when overclocking.

The AOC I just received is pretty good. The OSD is a bit clunky, but the monitor is well-built. Mine has no backlight bleed whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised if it uses the exact same PLS as the VP2770.

Check the CD for i-Menu. Puts the OSD on screen and is handy to make changes on the fly.

Damn, that is too tempting. So many choices now.

Id rather spend the $50 extra on the AOC at amazon. I simply wont buy a monitor from anyone else at this point. The panel lottery is such a really problem for all of these and amazon makes it so easy to return them.

Id rather spend the $50 extra on the AOC at amazon. I simply wont buy a monitor from anyone else at this point. The panel lottery is such a really problem for all of these and amazon makes it so easy to return them.

+1 on Amazon. Used additional plain outside box with packing paper on screen side of box. Arrived a day ahead of time. Used to buy from NE and IMO their shipping was awful No packing paper or air cushions even in a box with motherboard, CPU, etc. They might have changed, but I won't take a chance with them for electronics. Just checked and Amazon has it for $549 again. It has fluctuated higher to $568 most of the week.

That BenQ does looks nice, but I'm happy with mine.

If you are on the east coast B&H is great and they also have it for $550. In many ways I prefer B&h over amazon.

What about this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111334099722

"The new Samsung UD590 Series U28D590D 3840 x 2160 Ultra High Definition 28" LED Monitor (Spring 2014) for $597 with free shipping. 4K monitors are all the rage with kids these days."
3840 x 2160 resolution (UHD 4K) @ 60Hz, 1ms response time
LED-backlit TN panel, 300 cd/m2 brightness, 2 x HDMI, DisplayPort

What about this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111334099722

"The new Samsung UD590 Series U28D590D 3840 x 2160 Ultra High Definition 28" LED Monitor (Spring 2014) for $597 with free shipping. 4K monitors are all the rage with kids these days."
3840 x 2160 resolution (UHD 4K) @ 60Hz, 1ms response time
LED-backlit TN panel, 300 cd/m2 brightness, 2 x HDMI, DisplayPort

I considered low cost UHD but decided not to for the following reasons:

1. TN panel, and after using cheap TN panels for years and I'd much prefer IPS
  2. Pixel density is too high to run at 1:1 comfortably
  3. OS X can run in 2x "retina" mode, and while the clarity would be breathtaking, it renders a logical "desktop size" of 1920x1080 which is darn small for 28".
  4. My system is just barely old enough that it does not support 60Hz over DP, and there's not a lot of info out there about what the highest refresh is.

=DEAD='s Review (Use Google or Chrome to translate)

-mediocre out of the box (83.6% vs typical 89%+) sRGB color space coverage
-Poor contrast (800:1)
-20.5ms delay
-240hz PWM when set below 30% brightness
-Typical TN viewing angles
-Obvious color shift

It's a TN with poor colors (vs. a decent VA, AHVA/IPS/PLS panel), contrast, viewing angles, color consistency and has a grainy matte coating according to I88bastard which negates the increased sharpness 4K can offer, which is minor anyway. The 1 frame delay is also pretty lame for a TN panel. The only appealing aspect is the increased real-estate (which can be ruined by UI scaling and the lack of support) and bragging rights...which are worthless to the informed who already own a good monitor.

SBMongoos seems to be allergic to the good advice this thread is filled with.

SBMongoos seems to be allergic to the good advice this thread is filled with.

Ha. Just looking for a deal I want. Honestly, have a had a lot going on lately involving $$ so just keeping my eye on the forum.

As far as allergies goes...it's spring in CO and very dry..so... :D

Both NE & Amazon have it for $569
B&H still at $549

I've watched Amazon's price fluctuate up and down all week.

I'm really happy with the AOC; no clue if I would have been happy with the vp2770 or benq as I did not try them. No clue if there are bad AOC as I only purchased one and didn't have to return it. Note I am not playing games and I'm not super sensitive to stuff like overshoot however I will state that this thing has significant better colour gradian than my old u2311 it replaced and I like it better than the 2209wa I have next to it (though it is also a newer monitor and panel technology has improved). I'll probably get a second one to replace the 2209wa (which is on another computer).

What's the process like with Amazon for returning and exchanging monitors? Are there any return shipping or restocking fees? I want to try the AOC but the distribution is pretty limited.

For comparison with Dell they'll overnight you an advance replacement pretty easily with just a chat or email request. They'll also cover return shipping and there are no restocking fees. I had no luck getting a U2713HM from Dell though (1st had dust/dirt under the panel, 2nd had a dead green sub pixel near the center, and 3rd had very bad color temperature uniformity)

What's the process like with Amazon for returning and exchanging monitors? Are there any return shipping or restocking fees? I want to try the AOC but the distribution is pretty limited.

For comparison with Dell they'll overnight you an advance replacement pretty easily with just a chat or email request. They'll also cover return shipping and there are no restocking fees. I had no luck getting a U2713HM from Dell though (1st had dust/dirt under the panel, 2nd had a dead green sub pixel near the center, and 3rd had very bad color temperature uniformity)

The returns system asks why you're returning it. If you say it's defective, you then specify why and whether you want a replacement. The system then gives you a return label immediately, and the replacement shipment is handled by humans within an hour or so. If you just don't want it, then you (should be honest and) pay $22 or thereabouts to send it back, in which case they still provide the return label but subtract from the refund amount. You also have the choice of doing the return shipping on your own. I wouldn't shop for monitors anywhere else at this point.

Last edited:
Back