Looking for ~27 LED DIsplay

aFive

2[H]4U
Hey everyone, haven't been on here in ages! Just ordered me parts for my new rig, got tired of my laptop and wanted something amazing to game on, specially for the new Elder Scrolls.

Anyway, I currently have ACER G24 display, which I do like and have had it for a while. I have been thinking of getting a 27" display, something that is bright and vibrant. Main reason is that I do web design, and it would be nice to have 2 LCD's side by side, even if there is a size difference.

I have been looking at this Samsung display, would it prove to be better than what I have now? By the looks of it, it has a high contrast ratio and very low response time, and it is slim (huge plus to me). Now, with it being ~3" larger than my current display, yet having 1080p res... would it look a bit pixelated? Is it even worth for me to get a 27" LED display that's only 1080p res? I would like to get something of way higher resolution, but that's nearly $400 more :(. I don't really want to spend more than $450 on one.

I guess my main question would be if it is even worth spending the money considering the display I have now. Would it be worth just waiting a bit and getting something way higher res?

Last edited:
I currently use a Asus VE278Q, a 1080p LED lit lcd.

For gaming, it's pretty great. There a number of good presets, and you can change them with a single button. Connectivity also, is good, with hdmi dvi and vga. The hdmi also has an 1/8th inch audio output. So if you hook up your console you can plug in your pc speakers as well.

I recently started playing BF3, and at 1080p I have just enough graphic card firepower for a steady 60fps. Which is good, in games you don't notice pixel size. The key is the movement, and color change, I only wish for more pixels when I look at high definition photography up close. I just wish there were a little more detail so I could see into the picture more. It's not as horrible as some of this monitor snobs would have you believe however, ESPECIALLY while gaming. Higher res are out of the question anyway at your price range.

p.s. I have not tried the Samsung display you linked.

I currently use a Asus VE278Q, a 1080p LED lit lcd.

For gaming, it's pretty great. There a number of good presets, and you can change them with a single button. Connectivity also, is good, with hdmi dvi and vga. The hdmi also has an 1/8th inch audio output. So if you hook up your console you can plug in your pc speakers as well.

I recently started playing BF3, and at 1080p I have just enough graphic card firepower for a steady 60fps. Which is good, in games you don't notice pixel size. The key is the movement, and color change, I only wish for more pixels when I look at high definition photography up close. I just wish there were a little more detail so I could see into the picture more. It's not as horrible as some of this monitor snobs would have you believe however, ESPECIALLY while gaming. Higher res are out of the question anyway at your price range.

p.s. I have not tried the Samsung display you linked.

I was looking at the one you have earlier, does seem pretty nice, but looks bulky, from pictures at least.

ASCR 10,000,000:1 seems interesting, how does that compare to that samsungs DCR of 1,000,000:1?

ASCR 10,000,000:1 seems interesting, how does that compare to that samsungs DCR of 1,000,000:1?

Probably both just as ridiculous and irrelevant in use compared to the actual contrast ratio.

Nothing will look as bright and vibrant as the Acer G24 which has a glossy wide-gamut TN panel=vibrant bright colors.

Nothing will look as bright and vibrant as the Acer G24 which has a glossy wide-gamut TN panel=vibrant bright colors.

So, you don't think it would be worth for me to get a 27" right now? Unless, I am willing to dish out ~$1k?

Most monitors are not wide gamut=over saturated vibrant colors and there are no wide gamut monitors with glossy screens which further increases the vibrancy. Nothing will ever look as vibrant if that is what you are going for.

If you want a better quality screen with natural colors get the Samsung S27A850D, it costs around 800$. Also ignore the dynamic contrast numbers, most monitors have contrast between 600-1000:1

If you do web design for a living I think you should invest in more real estate, like a 2560x1440 27"

The HP ZR2740w as spot on colors once calibrated and is less than $800.

If you do web design for a living I think you should invest in more real estate, like a 2560x1440 27"

The HP ZR2740w as spot on colors once calibrated and is less than $800.

I'm stillin college, so I have student bills, loans, etc. I work full time and do some free lancing when am able to. I'd love to invest that muxh right now, but isn't gonna happen till February.

I see, might be a good idea to hold off till then. 27"@1080p is not going to be very sharp. And if you need color accuracy for your work you will want an IPS pannel.

You're right, ideally, I wanted to looking into apple displays, but refresh rate is kind of meh, specially if I end up gaming some still. I really like the Acer I have, calibrated, the colors are vibrant and I csn simply switch modes to get the most color accuracy when needed. I used to have a Samsung LCD, but half of the color options were greyed out because you had to have their software installed that barely worked, was a big no no.

Back