• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for 22" widescreen LCD, any suggestions?

Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Messages
842
I'm looking for a 22" widescreen LCD to replace my two aging and hulking 17" CRT monitors. I was looking at the BenQ FP222W because it was pretty cheap and is a good brand. Anyone want to try to steer me to something else or more towards this one? I am looking for opinions from owners or people who know the brand. If you have what you think is a better suggestion please do tell. I'm looking to spend no more then $300 but the cheaper the better as always.
 
The best 22", if you don't mind glossy panel, is the HP W2207.
Go see it...and buy it.
 
Nice monitor, but it's over my price range...thanks though, it is a very sexy piece of equiptment
 
are u in australia? cause i have seen the HP for $800-900 which it totally off the chart

then the next best would be a samsung 226BW, BUT only is u can get the S panel (you won't know till you open the box and look on the box, one store said they would open the box for me, i thoughts that what was cool)
 
Why do you guys say the HP is the best? Because of the glossy screen?
:)
When I resurrected my search for a flat panel this year, I was easily decieved by the HP.
Upon viewing it for the first time, I was under the impression it would perform like the NEC 20WGX2, since it too has a glossy screen. I later discovered they're two entirely different panel types, the NEC being S-IPS and the HP being TN.
I still really like the HP, along with a few of the newer 22" monitors, they're very nice, but they don't quite perform where S-IPS excels.
 
Please elaborate for me on the S-IPS vs. TN thing...I'm not sure I'm familiar with the terms and I don't see it labeled either way on the BenQ monitor.
 
Wow, thank you for that very quick response! Those certainly helped a good bit...now I just need to figure out what the ones I'm looking at are and were good...I think Im going to try to go for one that uses S-IPS since I don't do a lot of gaming and response time means pretty much nothing to me.
 
I read that post on [H] listing the different technologies used on the different monitors and my interest sparked when I saw the Scepter X22WG-1080p. I'm going to go under the assumption that it uses the same technology as the 20" one and say it uses P-MVA. From the sounds of it there were the few exceptions here and there from people saying it was DOA and there being 2 or 3 dead pixels on occasion but aside from that it sounds like i holds up to it's specs. I am really interested to see how the 2000:1 contrast ratio look as well...most are only 1000:1 so I'm not quite sure what to expect.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112009

I think it is down to either this one or the 20" cousin.
 
I read that post on [H] listing the different technologies used on the different monitors and my interest sparked when I saw the Scepter X22WG-1080p. I'm going to go under the assumption that it uses the same technology as the 20" one and say it uses P-MVA. From the sounds of it there were the few exceptions here and there from people saying it was DOA and there being 2 or 3 dead pixels on occasion but aside from that it sounds like i holds up to it's specs. I am really interested to see how the 2000:1 contrast ratio look as well...most are only 1000:1 so I'm not quite sure what to expect.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824112009

I think it is down to either this one or the 20" cousin.

Sorry, but all 22" monitors, including the Sceptre, are TN panels, not P-MVA. Also, take that contrast ratio with a grain of salt - there's not enough consistency when measuring it to assume it's accurate.

One other thing to keep in mind - if you notice in the reviews, the Sceptre doesn't include a DVI cable. That's one reason it's cheaper than others, so if you already have a DVI cable, you can save some money there.

I'm leaning toward this monitor as well; the difference in price means I can get a Neo-Flex stand ($30 at Staples) and still save money compared to the more expensive 22" models, and I don't think I'll notice any difference in quality - I'm coming from a 10 year old 17" CRT, after all.
 
I'm in the same boat you are Krenn. I have 2 5+ year old CRT's that I'm looking to get rid of since they really hog up my desk.

Ok, well it looks like I have made up my mind on the 20" scepter then. I don't already have a DVI cable but I know where I can get one for cheap, or I can just get one with my order. I too was also looking into getting a better stand for it as well. I need something that swivles and moves more then this one does for my purposes.

Anyone have a suggestion of something that can either stand on the desk and do this or attache to the desk somehow and do this? Krenn, could you post a link to the "Neo-Flex" stand please I can't find it at that price on their site. I did find it for $80, but it does everything I want it to http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10051&cmArea=FEATURED:SC3:CG6:DP1570
 
Anyone have a suggestion of something that can either stand on the desk and do this or attache to the desk somehow and do this? Krenn, could you post a link to the "Neo-Flex" stand please I can't find it at that price on their site. I did find it for $80, but it does everything I want it to http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10051&cmArea=FEATURED:SC3:CG6:DP1570
It's this Ergotron Neo-Flex™ LCD Stand:
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?productId=142074
(item# 619234 if the link doesn't work)
s0200600_enl.jpg


Looks like it doesn't handle heavy monitors because it's not attached to the desk - but a 20" should be small enough.
 
Thanks for the link. That is not what I need unfortunately...it looks like I will be going with the Neo-Flex one with the desk clamp since I need something that will attach to the desk.
 
Before you dive, give it some more thought.

1. True, NO 22" panel is other than a TN technology product.
2. Not all TN panels are equal.
3. Glossy is not a determinant, but: it adds to color brilliance and clarity of contours. Characters are stunningly crisp, colors amazingly strong.
4. I am not here to extol or sing the praises for any monitor, but the HP w2207 is a fantastic monitor. It surely is not for your average user since it needs some tweaking after it's taken out of the box. MAKE SURE YOU'RE CONNECTING IT
DIGITALLY. I bought it for $301 at Circuit City when on sale + the 10% coupon, tax included. I was lucky in that it didn't have any stuck/dead pixels and its stand much sturdier than that of the one that people are sometimes complaining about. My eyes are extremely sensitive towards color and contours. Everything has to be perfectly clear. This monitor has most of what I need.
5. I may still have to calibrate the monitor, though my feeling is that it's all well as it is now.
6. I mainly use the monitor for film, photo and text editing, web design, movies (great playing) and the Internet, a pretty good heap of activities. No games however people say it's quite excellent for that as well.
7. I recommend that you follow the Official w2207/2007 thread and edify yourselves.
8. Finally, go into as many stores as you can and PLAY with this monitor, as well as others. Only then can one decide for himself.
 
i have a Dell E228WFP and i'm quite happy with it. i love the small bezel around it.

and afaik (or at least when i did my research) all 22" are TN panels.
 
If I am going to get a 22" panel still, then I will need a desk clamping monitor arm that can hold 22" panels. As far as I have seen they can only hold up to a 20" panel. 20" should be plenty of real estate for what I am trying to do. I just need something that is large enough for movie/TV viewing as well as minor gaming, some movie and photo editing and general web browsing and IMing. I still am really leaning towards the 20" scepter. It got some very mixed reviews, but the majority of people experience 1 or less dead/stuck pixels and some said there was minor edge bleed. The people who did not experience these problems rated it a perfect 5 on newegg and those who did still rated it a 3 or 4 which says a lot for the monitor that it can have problems and still be rated that well. My roommate has the same monitor and I have seen it in person and it is rather vibrant. The only thing I didn't like was the light up logo but there is a model they make that is $10 more and it doesn't have that so all is well and good.
 
Back
Top