Looking for 120Hz 30" IPS

IceDread

n00b
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
46
Yeah that's my dream right now.

I want 120Hz screen that is preferably 30" at 16:10.

27" would be interesting too but at 16:10. A 27" 16:9 is nearly like a 24" 16:10.

16:9 is fine for movies but this one is for work and games.

I want IPS panel so the colors are good. The calibration should be decent. The white needs to be white!

Low input lag is vital.

Is there something out there for me and others with this dream? Anything in the pipe towards the market?
 
Your dream monitor does not currently exist. All 120hz monitors are TN and (I believe) none bigger than 23" or 24".
 
Well, depending on your needs, look into the LG 32LE5400 TV.

It will be 1080, though, so resolution is limited.

Most of the panels are IPS but you have to beware there is a VA panel lottery. There is a way you can tell by the box's serial number. The panel is 120hz, but you'd need to research if the inputs take 120hz (not likely, since otherwise they'd advertise it as 3d). In game mode, people have been pleased with its use as a monitor, obviously anything w/the motion interpolation tech will be full of input lag. There are a few threads on it in the avs forums.

Otherwise, no.
 
Really? I don't know much about it other than avsforum discussion. I looked for it at BM stores and couldn't find one, although I saw the Samsung equiv and the edglighting was terribad and it wasn't even that thin. What were the LG problems?
 
Edge lighting is horrible with that TV. I would stick with a LCD TV. Also the 120Hz speed is fud.
PC owners need to stick with monitors. Much better picture and performance.
 
Ok, wonder how long I have to wait till something like OP description hits the market. Interest should be high for a product like it.
 
Depending on your usage patterns, one of the smallest currently available 3D-capable plasma TVs is probably the closest you're going to get to your goal at the moment, and as others suggesting TVs have already mentioned you're giving up 16:10, limited to 1080p, and there's a chance you'll have input / underscan / overscan issues.
 
Ok, wonder how long I have to wait till something like OP description hits the market. Interest should be high for a product like it.

You will never see a 120Hz 30" IPS monitor.

There are several problems:

1. There is no cable able to do 120Hz at 2560x1600, there is no video card with ports able to do that, and there are no known plans for video cards or cables able to do that.

2. Monitor manufacturers would not risk making such a monitor until the cables and video cards available to support it are available on a mainstream basis. Example: monitors equipped with Displayport.

3. Monitor makers make IPS monitors for professionals, and make TN panels for consumers. In the eyes of the monitor makers, professionals only do work for which 120Hz is irrelevant and consumers watch movies. 120Hz monitors are for watching 3D movies; that they are good for gaming is purely accidental and not what they were made for. The monitor industry is completely uninterested in the PC gaming market and its demands because it is small potatoes. Sorry to break this to you, but as far as the monitor industry is concerned, PC gamers are worth less than a Zimbabwean dollar.

It is not impossible that we will someday see a 22" or 24" 120Hz IPS monitor, but there has been no indication, hint or rumor of such a monitor and I wouldn't bet on it happening.
 
1. There is no cable able to do 120Hz at 2560x1600, there is no video card with ports able to do that, and there are no known plans for video cards or cables able to do that.

DP will do it fine. DP 1.2 supports 17.28Gbits/sec. 2560*1600*24bpp@120Hz takes about 11Gbits/sec. HDMI 1.3 also might be able to handle it, though you are close to the limit.

3. Monitor makers make IPS monitors for professionals, and make TN panels for consumers. In the eyes of the monitor makers, professionals only do work for which 120Hz is irrelevant and consumers watch movies.

No, they make whatever the market wants and the technology can sustain. While a large part of the market wants very cheap monitors, thus TN, there is an increasing demand for IPS/VA. People are getting good, large, TVs, which are basically all VA or IPS. Also some other devices have good displays. They want them too. Hence we've seen lower end IPS displays out there.

I'm not saying that we'll ever see them, but the issues aren't what you think. The main issue is that I don't think IPS is fast enough right now. For 120Hz you have to have pixels formed in 8.3ms. While IPS displays with overdrive can get some transitions faster than that, they can't get all. I think 12ms is the fastest ISO time I've seen. Means they just aren't fast enough to pull 120Hz.
 
DP will do it fine. DP 1.2 supports 17.28Gbits/sec. 2560*1600*24bpp@120Hz takes about 11Gbits/sec. HDMI 1.3 also might be able to handle it, though you are close to the limit.

HDMI 1.3 can only do 10.2 Gbits/sec. The PS3, which has HDMI 1.3, can only do 3D (which requires 120Hz) by sending 60Hz plus depth of field info to special 3D TVs that can generate the other 60Hz; they would not do this if HDMI 1.3 was capable of 120Hz at 1920x1080, much less 2560x1600.

I can find no video card that supports DP 1.2. The ATi 6xxx series probably will have DP 1.2, but will they actually support 2560x1600 at 120Hz? Before you ask "but why wouldn't they?", I note that monitor makers don't bother to support resolutions higher than 1920x1200 over HDMI on their HDMI 1.3 offerings, even though the 1.3 standard allows it (example: Dell u2711).

That IPS monitors may simply be not fast enough to do 120Hz is very interesting, but if the ports and cables can't even get 2560x1600 at 120Hz to the monitor, even that is irrelevant (edit: for the dream monitor the OP has in mind).

My guess is that OLED will go mainstream (that's 2015 if you are very optimistic) before we see cables and video cards capable of supporting 2560x1600 at 120Hz. I also think that resolutions between 1920x1080 and whatever content producers upgrade to next will just die off (whether that is 2160p, 4K or Super Hi-Vision remains to be seen).
 
Last edited:
You will never 120Hz monitors are for watching 3D movies; that they are good for gaming is purely accidental and not what they were made for. The monitor industry is completely uninterested in the PC gaming market and its demands because it is small potatoes. Sorry to break this to you, but as far as the monitor industry is concerned, PC gamers are worth less than a Zimbabwean dollar.
Until they read all the reviews raving over how smooth the Windows Experience (TM im sure) is in 120hz. Market demand will hopefully push monitor technology further, first 8ms GTG 120hz ips monitor, then DisplayPort 1.2. My mouse feels more accurate at higher hz, and I think im actually working faster too.

http://jooh.no/web/60hz_vs_120hz_smooth_mouse_cursor.jpg
 
The main issue is that I don't think IPS is fast enough right now. For 120Hz you have to have pixels formed in 8.3ms. While IPS displays with overdrive can get some transitions faster than that, they can't get all. I think 12ms is the fastest ISO time I've seen. Means they just aren't fast enough to pull 120Hz.

Then compromise and do a 90hz or 100hz monitor. Still much better than 60.
 
With all the 16:9 and even, amazingly, 4:3 advocates I've seen even around here I think the chances of a 30 inch IPS 120Hz are virtually none, sadly.
 
Back
Top