• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking at upgrading my audio setup

Mr. K6

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
5,077
Hello,

So I'm looking at my computer, specifically my gaming setup, and I think my audio experience could be improved. Right now I'm using a USB/Headset combo from Plantronics (was $50 at Bestbuy), which basically was an audio jack headset that plugged into a USB adapter. The USB adapter went on the fritz about a month ago, and I've since just been using the headset plugged into the audio ports on my computer, using the onboard sound (Realtek chip I believe). In either case, the audio was decent, but I'm sure it could be better. I'm looking at enhancing the experience, specifically the quality (clarity, bass) and immersion (ambient sound production, etc.).

I was thinking of switching to an actual sound card and a decent headset to go with it (is this the way to go). I don't need anything extreme ($200 sound card with a $300 professional-grade headset), and judging from what I've read in threads and from google, I'm hoping I can get away with a $50-75 sound card and a <$100 headset. My parameters are the following:

- Needs to be a headset (I use Vent when I game)
- I prefer wired (I haven't seen a wireless set yet that I liked, I always detect the lag)
- Price ranges are ballparks, I'll pay more (or less) depending on value
- Sound card needs to be PCI (not PCI-e, my TV-tuner takes up my PCI-e slot)

I'm going to keep researching and reading, but thanks for any help/suggestions/advice you can throw my way.

Cheers,
Mr. K6
 
I'm sure you can score a XFI or Audigy soundcard on the forums or craigslist for less than $50... Any soundcard is going to increase the performance from onboard slightly.

I use a XFI Xtrememusic myself, its PCI and I got it for $30 shipped in 'for sale'.

For extended gaming use I'd say just get a Logitech G35's... Only because the braided cable will prolong the life of the headset greatly and they perform decently.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top