• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Looking At HTPC Build

Joined
Jun 24, 2010
Messages
28
I'm thinking of doing a HTPC build (it won't be happening immediately just getting the feel for the requirements), looking at about a $500 budget (w/ a little flexibility, if needed, OS and software not included).

So far for the build I'm considering:
MoBo/CPU/GPU: MSI E350IA-E45 AMD E-350 APU
RAM: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1066
HDD: A-DATA 500 Series AS592S-64GM-C 2.5" 64GB SSD
ODD: LITE-ON Blu-ray Burner w/ 3D

Possible addition(s):
Antec Mult-Station Basic Internal IR or SoundGraph IMon

as for the case for this guy I am thinking of using the Apex MI-008 or maybe the Thermaltake Element Q, but still not sure.


The primary function of this build will be standard DVD/Blu-Ray (from disks), streaming media from NetFlix, and the like, some low-level gaming (when bored), and eventually streaming media from a home server.

Any comments/thoughts/suggestions are welcome and appreciated (why else would i be posting here otherwise)

~WP
 
Last edited:
Wait, why are you getting a blu ray burner? It sounds like you need just a reader. An HTPC doesn't need one anyways, it's a consumption device.

Honestly, I'd rather use one of these in my HTPC then that SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591

And I would suggest an actual remote instead of some Imon garbage or that little thing that comes with the Antec Multi Station.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121005
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880101002
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=gyration&_kw=remote
 
Wait, why are you getting a blu ray burner? It sounds like you need just a reader. An HTPC doesn't need one anyways, it's a consumption device.

I was looking at the burner for the DVD burning functionality, not the Blu-Ray burning.

And I would suggest an actual remote instead of some Imon garbage or that little thing that comes with the Antec Multi Station.

I would definitely want a more functional remote, but liked the look/idea of the IR receiver bay, not sure if they sell them without the crappy remote.
 
I think any BD reader out there also writes DVD/CD's, just not BD's. Will save you a bundle.
 
I was looking at the burner for the DVD burning functionality, not the Blu-Ray burning.
Then get a combo drive, it's like half the price of the one you selected.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151222


I would definitely want a more functional remote, but liked the look/idea of the IR receiver bay, not sure if they sell them without the crappy remote.
They don't because a good chunk of them are rebadged Imons. Imon doesn't get a whole lot of love from the HTPC community due to either crappy drivers, difficult software and "full featured" yet lackluster remotes. I would suggest checking out Logitech's Harmony line of remotes instead. Those are well loved.
 
Back
Top