Looking at getting an AMD 64 3000

iNViSiGOD

Gawd
Evening peeps, came home tonight to find out that my ABIT KX7-333 board and XP2400+ fried out. Im thinking about picking up an AMD 64 3000 (because im an AMD fan) and a motherboard. But i've been out of the loop so long i dont know what the requirements (PSU, DDR) are. Dont want to but a nice piece of hardware just to find out i dont have buff enough PSU or the RAM i have isnt capable.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. And thanks in advance.

P.S. I would have searched the forums but when i try and use the search button it says its been disabled.

You could use that PC2700 but it would be a lot better with PC3200. A64's love low latency ram. I'm sure a 400 watt PSU is enough.

Rig in signature. Very happy :)

Bad news is that PC2700 is not enough. PC3200 is the memory you need... more for overclocking. There is no dual channel for the current Athlon 64, so it doesn't matter if you get one stick or two. PSU... I'd recommend a good name brand PSU of 400W or more. That doesn't mean you won't be able to run on a 300W PSU if it's solid. But cheap-o 400W and lower PSU's may give you headaches that aren't worth the trouble.

Chipsets:
K8T800 - good all around (see sig)
SIS755 - great performance for the price (look for Revision 2.0)
nForce3 150 - mediocre performance, preferred by OCers (AN50R...)

Edit: I guess in theory PC2700 works, but my motherboard wasn't happy with it.

Im not even really looking at any type of overclocking ATM, this upgrade is a bit overdue and i thought i'd purchase something nice for myself. As for the PSU it isnt a cheapie (Vantec 350w) but im looking at about a total of 380$ allowance at this point. Again i stress im not looking at doing any OC'ing yet, just want something entrty level with an AMD 64 to mess around with and kind of get back into the scene again with. As for PC2700, that wont actually work will it? I dont need a major workhorse,ill upgrade the RAM later definatly tho :D Thanks so far people for the imput. This is why i been reading up on [H]ard|OCP for the past 4 years now.

Well, I just can't recommend the Gigabyte GA-K8VNXP from personal experience IF you plan on using the PC2700 RAM. And with spending almost $230 on the Retail Athlon 64 3000+, that's only $150 left over for motherboard... AND possibly memory. If you spend the $75ish for 512MB of PC3200 ValueRAM, then you only have $75 for motherboard... yuck.

Agreed, i saw a combo pack on PriceWatch for 344$ mobo and CPU combo, but that seems aweful low priced for what im looking for. (After all its an ECS board).

Meebe a Barton core processor then? Something i can use most of my current hardware with? Im juust looking for suggestions at this point.

Today I am receiving the Gigabyte K8VT800-M and 3000+ combo I ordered for my mATX rig. I'll be using PC2100 in it until next paycheck rolls around for more upgrades, so i'll let you know how it works. If its worth anything gigabytes website said it supports that slower ram fine... Mwave is even throwing in a free HSF with the combo so this is going to be an interesting deal...

Anandtech just tested a AOpen K8 board and they think its great! The board also has AGP/PCI lock and runs at 252FSB. PLUS!!! Its only $93.00 at Mwave!

I'm going with the a64 3000+ and an msi k8t neo-fsr board, from mwave it's a bundle deal of like $315, $220 for the proc, $95 for the board, and I'm getting some corsair valueram from newegg, it's like $155 for 1gig, so ~$77 for 512mb I'd imagine. That's probably about as close as you can get to your estimated budget. Newegg has the same board at $99 and proc at I think $227, however they have free shipping, so it's a toss up on where you're shipping to really.

Back