Looking around for a good POST diagnostic card

bardos

n00b

I'm looking for a POST diagnostic card that will work with PCI-E... I have an older one for PCI alone and of course it does not work with the new slots. I have been looking around (principally on ebay and amazon) and I can't really understand what's what with the new diagnostic cards. Can anyone recommend a card that works well for them? thx

I remember these things from back in the day and was curious so I did some searches, but the main point being driven home is that there's no such thing as a post card in the days of uefi bios since there aren't post codes like there once where.

There is a card made by passmark, but it seems to test the pcie slot more than anything else:
https://www.passmark.com/products/pcie-test-card.htm

I found some other stuff, but it has the same cryptic information that you may have run into. Looks like there's not much in this arena anymore. :(

But my gigabyte.ga-z87x-ud3h mobo has one embedded, so post codes must still be a thing, no?

They might be, but because that motherboard is of a completely different era as the old AT/ATX ones, I don't think there's going to be a card like there was back in the day. In fact, as cheap as motherboards (and all components) are these days, I can see why there isn't financial resources going into making tools since most people just toss and buy a new one. A computer isn't built to last 10-20 years anymore.

Back