• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Lookin' for Comments and Suggestions!

Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
13
So I'm lookin' to do my first build. I'm going to build a SFF too, because I'm pretty sick of lugging around my big honkin' computer from college and stuff... and I figure a smaller machine will give some space too in the dorms.

So since this is my first build, I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who can offer it. Anyway, I'm lookin' to start this build at the end of the summer. First off, I think the X-Qpack is probably the best way to go. Since I intend on replacing my whole main computer with this, it seems to be the most efficent to do so. As far as processor and mobo go, I'm going to wait for the Conroe to come out and just order a package deal from TigerDirect or something to guarantee they're intended to work together. Then I'm gonna cool the processor with just a BlueOrb II or something of hte sort. I intend on gutting my hard drive and DVD drives from my current tower too, to save a little cash. I've read that the stock PSU in the X-Qpack is a piece, so I'm gonna replace that too. I've seen a few recommendations but haven't figured out specifically what would be best. I was hopin' for a smaller one thats proven to fit well in a Q-Pack with a fan pointed towards the bottom, away from the top of the case. I'm gonna stick 1gig of Ram in it, but besides that I don't know anything on that subject. For a video card I'm just gonna stick in a XFX GeForce 6800 Xtreme I think.

So what I'm hoping for is a lot of reccomendations and suggestions as far as parts go or my thoughts so far.

Also, as a side note, I wanted to put a window in my top dvd drive so you can see the disc inside and also put an LED in there, however I have no idea what the best way to go about puttin an LED in is. Any suggestions on that would be greatly appreciated as well.

So Far...
Case: X-Qpack
Processor Fan: Blue Orb II
Video Card: XFX GeForce 6800 Xtreme
RAM:
PSU:
Processor:
Motherboard:
 
Okay, ditch the Q-pack and get a Micro Fly so you won't have to pay extra for the PSU that comes with the Q-pack. It is beyond crap.

Get the 450w XClio for a PSU

Go with a 7600GT instead of the 6800Xt, it is only a bit more money and will perform better.

There is a really good deal on the Blue Orb II on Monarch right now: http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...ore_Code=M&Product_Code=130825&AFFIL=hhd&NR=1

Get 1Gb of Corsair XMS, you will love it.

LEDs: http://www.directron.com/razortechledbl.html
De-case them, drill holes the exact size of the LEDs in the edges of the plexi, then hot glue or super glue them into the edges of the window where they will not be seen. The light will go through the plexi, illuminating any scratches or etching you make in the plexi. If you do it right, it looks amazing.


I can't help you with Conroe, because I know nothing about it. Someone else will have to reccommend you a mobo and processor. Good luck with your build.

Other than that, the rest is up to you. I know nothing about Conroe, so someone else will have to reccommend you a motherboard and processor.
 
Back
Top