lookin for a radiater that will fit in a cd drive bay

complex

Limp Gawd
well im going to start making my second newer computer soon and i would like to water cool it but i dont want an external setup like i curently have so i would like to find a dual radiater that i can fit in a cd drive bay perferably one that i can fit 2 120mm fans over

thanks for any info

I think you will see one very soon on the market, from what I have heard.

Are you looking for one that actually mounts in there like a CD-ROM or one that is no more than 5 1/4" wide? Boneville cores will fit, but it's thicker than a CD-ROM and longer.

I put my Black Ice Extreme 120mm in my drive bays. It took up almost 3 with a UV shroud and fan... if I put another fan on top it will take up 3 bays. It stays in place pretty good with some zip ties, hasnt moved when I move the computer around. I have some pictures on my camera that I need to post up to the forums. I just havent had time to transfer them. Ill try to get them up sometime.

well i was hoping for one i could put under a fan controller cuz i figured if i put a cd drive under it it wouldnt get much air flo through and i was going to cut 2 120mm fan holes and sit the fans out on the case blowin the air out

the heater cores i have in my pc now are to wide to fit in the 5.25" space id have to cut the drive holder thing and i only want to do that as a last resort

With a Boneville heatercore, the only mod you'd have to do is fold down or cut off the little drive supports. That's a minor mod and the worst it does is make 5.25" drive installation a little less easy later if you remove the heatercore.

Something slightly smaller than a Boneville core would be nice for your job, but I don't know the sizes of any other heatercores so I can't recommend one.

thewhiteguy said:
With a Boneville heatercore, the only mod you'd have to do is fold down or cut off the little drive supports. That's a minor mod and the worst it does is make 5.25" drive installation a little less easy later if you remove the heatercore.

Something slightly smaller than a Boneville core would be nice for your job, but I don't know the sizes of any other heatercores so I can't recommend one.

hmm, i dont think its necessary to cut, mines a dual heatercore that slips right in.
4.jpg

CookiePuss said:
hmm, i dont think its necessary to cut, mines a dual heatercore that slips right in.
It depends on how your case is designed. Mine has little metal supports to hold any 5.25" drives up when you insert them so you can screw them down easily. The Boneville heatercore is too thick to fit between the supports on the top bay and the top of the case so I'd have to mod mine.

However, my heatercore is on top of the case so this doesn't even concern me.

this is the case i was thinking of getting nothing real fancy

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=627446&CatId=1520

whats ur heatercore cookie since it fits in your case there shouldnt be a problem getting it in mine

-----------------------------------------------EDIT----------------------------------------------

hey wait i just had a thaught (one of the few i have) what if i gat a dangerden dual heater core then sit it on top of my case then drill holes in top for the tubing to go through then drill holes for fans and sit the heater core out of my case and have the fans blow air out of the case through the heater core (the fans in the case under the heater core)

it probably wouldnt look as good as the heater core in the case and fans out of the case but it wouldnt mean me haveing to find a special heater core that will fit in the drive slot

That's a good way to save space, and it almost what I've done. The difference is my setup uses outside air to cool the rad, so the only holes I cut in the case are for attaching the radiator assembly and the hoses.

Yeah, Im in the process of building my watercooling setup and am doing a heatercore/fan/shroud on top of my case with only the 2 holes for the tubes goin in. Its always better to be drawing outside air over the core and exhausting the heated air outside the case too. Its the best possible way to mount it.

There was a guy with the handle "2Fresh" that sold em' with fans in the for sale/trade forum for hella cheap, and they were very good. Ive got one of his in my rig right now and I love it, its a tiny bit bigger than the black ice extreame I believe, but it fits snug as a bug. Made from an all copper heater core and painted to your color choice. Wayyyy cheaper than the black ice extreme. I think mine was somewhere around $60 shipped with fans and grills. I dunno if he still has his thread going, but Id hit him up if your intrested.
rad1.jpg

rad2.jpg

rad3.jpg

EDIT: Found his thread. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=761000
and hes also got a basic site now....
http://www.elitehw.net/2fresh/

complex said:
this is the case i was thinking of getting nothing real fancy

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=627446&CatId=1520

whats ur heatercore cookie since it fits in your case there shouldnt be a problem getting it in mine

-----------------------------------------------EDIT----------------------------------------------

hey wait i just had a thaught (one of the few i have) what if i gat a dangerden dual heater core then sit it on top of my case then drill holes in top for the tubing to go through then drill holes for fans and sit the heater core out of my case and have the fans blow air out of the case through the heater core (the fans in the case under the heater core)

it probably wouldnt look as good as the heater core in the case and fans out of the case but it wouldnt mean me haveing to find a special heater core that will fit in the drive slot

It looks exactly like 2Fresh's core, i got mine from Autozone and barbed and painted it myself. 30 bucks for the whole process.
One thing you want to be careful of though is the PSU size. Notice how Bob's psu is tight with the radiator, if you get something like the OCZ Powerstream then it will probably not fit inside the case with the radiator. I had to hack my case up some to get them both fit in there.

thewhiteguy said:
No hose clamps? :eek:

Haha, negative, on my smaller rad theyre on but not on my cpu block or heater core, gone through a couple configurations and a few tube changes and never had a single leak yet, I like the sexy look better. (though I admit, tis more dangerous!)

Back