Lookin for a case for my server/gaming rig

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys -

I'm looking to upgrade and i picked out most of the equipment minus case/psu.

What will be in my new machine, some raid 5 array of 1tb, so gonna have lets say 5 harddrives, gonna have a 7800gt, dual core, dvd, dvd burner, normal normal.

So im mostly concerned with teh space for the raid array and cost.

I would like to ifnd the case with powersupply to be no more then 200.

I was thinking of just hte Sonata, cause i have used alot and they are easy to work in and will hold the 5 drives + cooling, but i would need to buy another powersupply.

I really like hte Antec Titan case, but i dont know if cooling is so good on it.

I DO NOT like hte Cooler Master stacker cases. I dont want anything like that where i have to buy the expensive drive bay to harddrive convertors, unless the case is cheap enough to do it.

So budget of 200.

Need a good case with lots of room. Black of course :)

What u guys think?

anything else?

i dont care much for windows or anything, i rather have stock 120mm in the rear and a 120 up front

i have the older version of that one, mine i believe u can still fit a 120mm in the front, can you still do that with these?

i will need something on the harddrives.

i wish the damn sonata came with a bigger power supply

i absolutely hate hte p180 lol. i dunno what it is but i just dont like it.

I love the look of the Lian Li V1000 series, but i just cant afford it.

I could fit the YY cube in, just i dont know how well the cooling is on it. Soprano mite have that beat with the ducting for the cpu/vid cards.

SomeoneWhoIsntMe said:
older version of the case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811125444

looks a LOT better, but not as good of features
yeea it does

marley1 said:
i have the older version of that one, mine i believe u can still fit a 120mm in the front, can you still do that with these?

i will need something on the harddrives.

i wish the damn sonata came with a bigger power supply
were u lookin at the sonata or sonata II?

Sonata 2 i was looking at, i like how it has the pci, and cpu ducting.

marley1 said:
I really like hte Antec Titan case, but i dont know if cooling is so good on it.
I don't think regular ATX boards fit in that case -- it is strictly a server box.

I love my SLK3000B. In your situation, you can put in all five of your HDDs, but I would strongly suggest you get a 120mm front intake fan to help keep temperatures down. Run the rear 120mm Tricool at medium speed, and you'll have pretty good overall airflow in the case.

The Antec TruePower 2.0 EPS12V 550W PSU is on sale too.

I wish the damn Lian Li V1000 server case was a bit cheaper.

I guess if i move my budget up to 250 i could do it.

Whats the cheapest/reliable 550+ watt psu? Any around 50 bucks?

550 watt for $50? Probably not a decent one. With five harddrives, a 7800 GT, etc, I would not give myself that strict of a power supply budget. But i'm picky about power supplies.

Check out this thread

I am extremely happy with This case, and that would give you the budget to get a good power supply with it. I refer to it as my poor man's Lian Li.

Punchbugy said:
550 watt for $50? Probably not a decent one. With five harddrives, a 7800 GT, etc, I would not give myself that strict of a power supply budget. But i'm picky about power supplies.

Check out this thread

I am extremely happy with This case, and that would give you the budget to get a good power supply with it. I refer to it as my poor man's Lian Li.
looks more lik a praetorian....u wanna see a poor man's lian li? here

Only $26, and it has a removeable motherboard tray? Interesting. I might be building a new budget machine for my parents at some point, so this could work for that.

Dregan said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811196008
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811196020
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811196019

The third is my favorite. The fist one I don't think has the drive space you want. All cases have mod posibilities. All can seperate hard drive hot air from CPU cold. They are all cheep (-$90 shipped). Now spend the extra money and get a $130 power supply ( at least with raid 5! ) and enjoy!
all aerocools eh? i lik the first one esp. how it can hold two 120mm fans and also that its cheapest :p i dont really lik the last two since the front 140mm fans are juss tacky! but all a nicely priced ;)

N H O said:
i dont really lik the last two since the front 140mm fans are juss tacky! but all a nicely priced ;)
I agree on the tacky. But like I said... mod possibilities... If i do get one of those 2 I was thinking plexi to "chamber" harddrive / vid card air low, and CPU / RAM / NB by itself up top. Then hide the 140mm fan in a "cannon barrel". Themed "BF2" But back to the original topic...

Since this was put in the case modding section, I'll give the classic advice. Nobody makes exactly what you want. So get something close to what you want cheap. Then fix whats not broken! And once again, if your doing raid, spend the cash on a good power supply.

Back