Ive been running with an unstable system for a long time now (1 year+ ) and Im starting to get a little desperate finding a solution (even if it means replacing it).
SETUP:
Core i/ 920 Bloomsfield C-stepping 2.67 Ghz
Asus P6T SE rev 1.02 (latest bios version)
Kingston 3x2 Gb Value ram (PC10667)
The other parts should be irrelevant as Ive (over longer periods) tried replacing gfx card, bought new disc (removed the old ones), removed sound card, dvd-drives, used multiple fresh windows installs and bought new PSU (a Corsair HX650 Pro).
I've used the stock Intel cooling for a very long time (with stock cooling on every part in system + case fan) and 6 months ago i fitted in my old watercooling setup, with no improvement (other than temps now hovering around max 45-50 instead of 60 ish). I really dont suspect heat to be an issue.
The system was overclocked slightly in its early days, going up around 150-160mhz baseclock, 1.3 vcore, 3.2ghz, but after a few months i just went back to default and it ran for a couple of years without problems.
PROBLEM:
I keep getting random reboots. There seem to be a very clear pattern with alot of reboots when the system is just starting up (getting warm) the first 30'ish minutes and then it usually ends up running relatively stable most of the day (little to no reboots at all) and then it might start rebooting a few times or alot during the evening. This could obviously just be related to a pattern of how i use the computer. I suspected the harddiscs to cause the problem just for this very reason, but it didnt help replacing it.
Sometimes the reboots occur before I even pass BIOS screen and sometimes its after a full day of use.
ATTEMPTS:
Besides replacing parts, Ive tried using complete default BIOS values.
Using extra VCORE at 1.300ish, PLL 1.88, abit more Ram core from 1.5 to 1.6, while also downclocking processor multiplier to 12, reducing baseclock to 100mhz.
Tried disabling Speedstep, Turboboost, Clock Spread Spectrum, Load Line calibration (i think).
Some have given abit more stability, but Im still getting reboots no matter what. At the moment Im using 1.2 Vcore, 1.8 PLL, 1.5 ram, default clock speed, disabled Speedstep, turboboost, CSS.
Ive used the default bios version that shipped with the board up untill a few weeks ago, where i updated to the latest. No improvement thou.
When the system seems stable, I can run Prime without crashes or abnormal temperatures.
Ive run Ram checks with no errors.
Im abit hesitant to start messing around further with BIOS voltages, but Im hoping someone can point out other steps that might improve stability (BIOS setting or something completely else). I know theres a chance of faulty hardware, but I just wanna try everything else first.
Any ideas/opponiens are much much appreciated!
SETUP:
Core i/ 920 Bloomsfield C-stepping 2.67 Ghz
Asus P6T SE rev 1.02 (latest bios version)
Kingston 3x2 Gb Value ram (PC10667)
The other parts should be irrelevant as Ive (over longer periods) tried replacing gfx card, bought new disc (removed the old ones), removed sound card, dvd-drives, used multiple fresh windows installs and bought new PSU (a Corsair HX650 Pro).
I've used the stock Intel cooling for a very long time (with stock cooling on every part in system + case fan) and 6 months ago i fitted in my old watercooling setup, with no improvement (other than temps now hovering around max 45-50 instead of 60 ish). I really dont suspect heat to be an issue.
The system was overclocked slightly in its early days, going up around 150-160mhz baseclock, 1.3 vcore, 3.2ghz, but after a few months i just went back to default and it ran for a couple of years without problems.
PROBLEM:
I keep getting random reboots. There seem to be a very clear pattern with alot of reboots when the system is just starting up (getting warm) the first 30'ish minutes and then it usually ends up running relatively stable most of the day (little to no reboots at all) and then it might start rebooting a few times or alot during the evening. This could obviously just be related to a pattern of how i use the computer. I suspected the harddiscs to cause the problem just for this very reason, but it didnt help replacing it.
Sometimes the reboots occur before I even pass BIOS screen and sometimes its after a full day of use.
ATTEMPTS:
Besides replacing parts, Ive tried using complete default BIOS values.
Using extra VCORE at 1.300ish, PLL 1.88, abit more Ram core from 1.5 to 1.6, while also downclocking processor multiplier to 12, reducing baseclock to 100mhz.
Tried disabling Speedstep, Turboboost, Clock Spread Spectrum, Load Line calibration (i think).
Some have given abit more stability, but Im still getting reboots no matter what. At the moment Im using 1.2 Vcore, 1.8 PLL, 1.5 ram, default clock speed, disabled Speedstep, turboboost, CSS.
Ive used the default bios version that shipped with the board up untill a few weeks ago, where i updated to the latest. No improvement thou.
When the system seems stable, I can run Prime without crashes or abnormal temperatures.
Ive run Ram checks with no errors.
Im abit hesitant to start messing around further with BIOS voltages, but Im hoping someone can point out other steps that might improve stability (BIOS setting or something completely else). I know theres a chance of faulty hardware, but I just wanna try everything else first.
Any ideas/opponiens are much much appreciated!