Longhorn - Vista Ultimate VS Server 2008

gaspah

2[H]4U
Ok.. recently I ran into some absolutely frustrating crap...

Vista Ultimate has no software RAID-5.... and my onboard RAID-5 only supports 2048GB arrays.... plus all my PCIe lanes are used for Video and Raid already...

so... I'm considering switching to Windows Server 2008

I wanna know what is missing in 2008 that Ultimate has....

I can't tell if it has... DX10 (being a server i don't know why it would)
Windows Media Centre (yes i use this for my TV tuner)

running my 8800GTX... do i use Vista Drivers or what? I hear 2008 doesnt support 3D or something strange like that...

basically.. i want Vista Ultimate AND raid-5 software..... is this what I'm going to get??? or will this be an utter waste of time???

I'll tell you what I know from Server 2008.

There's an option called "Desktop Experience" which says "includes features of Windows Vista, such as Windows Media Player, desktop themes, and photo management. Desktop Experience does not enable any of the Windows Vista features; you must manually enable them."

Your guess is as good as mine as to what it does. We don't run it on any of our 2008 servers.

I'll tell you what I know from Server 2008.

There's an option called "Desktop Experience" which says "includes features of Windows Vista, such as Windows Media Player, desktop themes, and photo management. Desktop Experience does not enable any of the Windows Vista features; you must manually enable them."

Your guess is as good as mine as to what it does. We don't run it on any of our 2008 servers.

yeah i was reading about that too.... you can get Aero glass working after a few options... i just cant find anything about DX10 or Media Center (media player is kinda a non-issue as i've maybe used it 10 times since XP came out)

EDIT: DX10 is on Server 2008... thanks wikipedia :p
EDIT2: Looks like Media Center is NOT in Server 2008... damn...

dammit how do they expect people to have cheap high-capacity raid-5 HTPCs???

Most likely they expect you to buy a RAID5 capable hardware solution. You're in a niche segment of the market and RAID5 isn't exactly what the masses are implementing.

i ALREADY HAVE a raid5 capable hardware solution :( my Areca Arc-1220... i need a SECONDARY raid5 solution :(

but i guess thems the breaks.... why RAID5 isnt a part of ultimate i'll never know...

I can tell you from experience that Desktop Experience does indeed make Server 2008 exactly like Vista Aero. I was playing with that feature on my test server here at work a couple months ago when evaluating Server 2008.

I think it's safe to say the only thing you'll miss out using Server 2008 instead of Ultimate 64 is the Media Center and the Ultimate Extras (Dreamscenes, etc.). But you'll gain lots more, such as TS, IIS, and so on.

Ah sorry...I didn't register the "PCIE lanes" bit...all I saw was "software RAID".

I guess then on that note I'm not understanding what you're looking for. Are you wanting arrays larger than 2TB and are looking for a software solution to augment?

I can tell you from experience that Desktop Experience does indeed make Server 2008 exactly like Vista Aero. I was playing with that feature on my test server here at work a couple months ago when evaluating Server 2008.

I think it's safe to say the only thing you'll miss out using Server 2008 instead of Ultimate 64 is the Media Center and the Ultimate Extras (Dreamscenes, etc.). But you'll gain lots more, such as TS, IIS, and so on.

yeah well ive never used dreamscenes... and i dont even know what the other ultimate extras are... :p so no huge loss there...

i can use blazeDTV hopefully to replace Media Center... but i like Media Center :(

youre kidding me right :(

Think about it this way, there is really no business sense in running Raid5 as software raid.
All server-grade motherboards have onboard raid, for performance you would want dedicated raid.

There is simply no reason to use a pure software raid, so why implement it into a business server application?

Back