longhorn pics from front page link

rowbear62468

Limp Gawd
ok, so i followed the link to flexbeta and saw the pics for longhorn...what the hell? it looks like xp, with a windows blinds. what crap is that?

It's not finished, what everyone has is a developing alpha release that was leaked at some conference. What you're seeing is a transistion from XP to longhorn, right now they're just recoding it. What you saw what just an edit of XP... visually however, it won't be that different, I mean win 98 wasn't that much of a jump in screen difference to XP, also I'm sure they'll amaze us, they always seem to. When I first install XP I was saying to myself "This is beautiful and that background is amazing!" However, now I'm sick of the "Bliss" background....

Mysticcal said:
It's not finished, what everyone has is a developing alpha release that was leaked at some conference. What you're seeing is a transistion from XP to longhorn, right now they're just recoding it. What you saw what just an edit of XP... visually however, it won't be that different, I mean win 98 wasn't that much of a jump in screen difference to XP, also I'm sure they'll amaze us, they always seem to. When I first install XP I was saying to myself "This is beautiful and that background is amazing!" However, now I'm sick of the "Bliss" background....

The only thing I really liked about XP was the fluff, that is now disabled upon reinstall because it robs so many resources.

Mysticcal said:
It's not finished, what everyone has is a developing alpha release that was leaked at some conference.

What the screenshots are from is the latest build available at the WinHEC conference. It wasn't leaked, they were handing out that build to people who attended.

It's funny to see the Microsoft PR machine already at work, as they have been quoted that Apple has been stealing from them. :rolleyes:

Longhorn, Longwait, Long-in-the-tooth, is going to be a big ass bust. Nothing that I have seen or heard of being included will even be considered new or revolutionary by the time it actually ships, which at this point is slated as "Holiday 2006". It will only seem cool to Joe Sixpack who is shopping for the new HP's at Best Buy and sees the nifty new wallpaper they've worked 5 years to create. :p

wasnt the interface supposed to be 3d...i remember reading that longhorn will use your video card more due to the new 3d interface...kinda like...apple...not that microsoft would copy anything from apple...personnaly i dont care who makes it, i just want it to work properly from the get go...not have to patch every month

At least it doesn't look like a commercial for the next "happy" pill.

Hopefully, they will nailed down Longhorn's UI sometime before SP2, 2012, or MacOS 10.6.8, which ever comes first.

rowbear62468 said:
ok, so i followed the link to flexBETA and saw the pics for longhorn...what the hell? it looks like xp, with a windows blinds. what crap is that?

Are you serious? :rolleyes:

You do realize IT IS NOT FINISHED right? That's what a beta is.

Good God, those pics have been on the internet for years now. They have a totally new GUI they are developing for Longhorn called Avalon. Look it up.

S1nF1xx said:
Are you serious? :rolleyes:

You do realize IT IS NOT FINISHED right? That's what a beta is.

Good God, those pics have been on the internet for years now. They have a totally new GUI they are developing for Longhorn called Avalon. Look it up.
These pics are more alpha style than beta....beta means you are getting pretty damn close.

huxley said:
These pics are more alpha style than beta....beta means you are getting pretty damn close.

That's pretty much my point. They don't understand what a beta is, I figured I wouldn't confused them even more with throwing out "alpha". It's a pretty scary world. :eek: :rolleyes:

S1nF1xx said:
That's pretty much my point. They don't understand what a beta is, I figured I wouldn't confused them even more with throwing out "alpha". It's a pretty scary world. :eek: :rolleyes:
No, you are saying that it is beta. When something is pretty far behind it is Alpha. With a late beta most of everything should be working and should look like the final product. Maybe its an early beta, who knows.

huxley said:
No, you are saying that it is beta. When something is pretty far behind it is Alpha. With a late beta most of everything should be working and should look like the final product. Maybe its an early beta, who knows.

Are you trolling or what?

huxley said:
I am pointing out that I believe you are getting beta and alpha mixed up.

Yeah because I don't know what an alpha and beta are. :rolleyes:

pics of mudfight please :p

No serioulsy, a year ago i heard so many nice things about longhorn, now as the year progresses all i hear is, "we are not going to include this bit, not that one and probably not that one either"..

It's sad.. They have so many good programmers, at least i htink so.. Why can't they just come out with something really revolutionary... I would love to see a major change / improvement...

S1nF1xx said:
Yeah because I don't know what an alpha and beta are. :rolleyes:
It seems that you don't, unfortunately You also seem to like rolling eyes at everone, you should get that problem checked out.

Early/late alpha?
Early/late beta?

Please.

I have some hair falling out of my head if you guys want something else to try and split.

It's not done, so this may not be the final look. Then again, maybe it is. The only people who know work at MS. Even then, they probably haven't decided the gold release (oh teh noes, another release term!) will look one way or the other. Some thing change at the last minute you know...

Until then, don't let me get in the way of speculation.

I wonder if the person who posted those pics had permission from Microsoft to do so. There is a secrecy clause in the EULA of this build that forbids posting screenshots and things without permission.

doh said:
I wonder if the person who posted those pics had permission from Microsoft to do so. There is a secrecy clause in the EULA of this build that forbids posting screenshots and things without permission.
Yup.

It appears that Microsoft has in fact asked the community sites to remove all screenshots of Longhorn build 5048.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/windows...rticleID/46188/windowspaulthurrott_46188.html

Anywyay, there's a controversy brewing. The community sites like Neowin were asked yesterday by a "community lead" at Microsoft to take down their screenshots of Longhorn build 5048. This caused a big stir in the press room after the blogger lunch. When someone asked why they were doing this, Chris Pirillo quipped, "because it looks like #$%," which I thought was the appropriate response. Apparently, there is a condition in the EULA preventing people from posting screenshots. Nobody saw anything like that. And I wasn't asked to remove anything yesterday, which caused some grumbling. I'll get to that in a moment, but I'm a bit freaked out that Microsoft wouldn't mention this condition when they asked us to come to WinHEC, or when they handed out the CDs. It would have affected my decision to come.

If theres one thing I always thought windows was lacking was interface customization. I've had to resort to stylexp to get my windows the way I want it. Im hoping ms will realize that a lot of people like to customize their windows and put avalon to some good use.

Most of the enhancements to Longhorn (Shorthorn :D ) is under the hood. The UI is really there for a placeholder. Is it any wonder it looks like WXP/W2K3? The visual enhancements aren't likely to see the light of day until RC.

From what I've heard, not even the people who are working on the UI have seen the interface as a whole...

So this "controversy" about the UI is really a non-event, IMO.

Back