Long startup (Windows XP Professional)

CoW]8(0)

[H]ard|Gawd
I've had this problem happen on two different computers (a desktop and a laptop). It's a rather strange issue where Windows seems to take forever to get everything started up. And from what I see, there's a rather long gap (about a few minutes) where the HD isn't even reading. Then after this little recess during startup, the laptop resumes booting and finishing booting everything up normally.

No, my system is not bloated with startup programs or services. During this long startup period, hardware monitoring utilities are not able to load up until the startup has finished.

Any ideas of what's happening?

sounds like spyware to me best thing to do format reinstall it always works for me. too much browsing the internet but I could be wrong. :D

CoW]8(0) said:
I've had this problem happen on two different computers (a desktop and a laptop). It's a rather strange issue where Windows seems to take forever to get everything started up. And from what I see, there's a rather long gap (about a few minutes) where the HD isn't even reading. Then after this little recess during startup, the laptop resumes booting and finishing booting everything up normally.

No, my system is not bloated with startup programs or services. During this long startup period, hardware monitoring utilities are not able to load up until the startup has finished.

Any ideas of what's happening?

If it happened on two different computers it's most likely a certain piece of software that you normally use. My startup is a little slow on my rig because NOD32 takes awhile, Sygate Firewall Pro takes a while longer, and then Peer Guardian finishes the long wait with a pause of it's own.

Try running msconfig and disable all start up programs. It could be a certain sloppy coded program in your start up set to auto update on load and it isn't establishing a connection to an update server and you're having to wait for it to time out.

On some configurations, HewlettPackard printer software causes a long pause once the desktop is loaded, the same goes when you have a DSL modem and the network card has DHCP enabled

oldmx

Back