Long Range Wireless Router

I currently have a D-Link DGL-4500.

I am looking for a more powerful wireless router that has a larger range. I want to have the ability to use the laptop at the house next door, so I need a range of like 150 ft, going through multiple walls (both concrete and wood) and still have enough for general Internet access.

My first question is if it's even possible and if so, what is a good router/system to use.

I would still need the ability to connect Ethernet to the router (at least 4 ports) and the wireless, obviously.

A major benefit as well would be the ability to install something like pfSense or DD-WRT onto for further management.

We are also looking at a price range of $200 max

why not just pick up a unifi from ubiquiti?

if you absolutely must have the absolute long range go for the unifi-lr (long range).

I have one and i can pick up my wifi on my neighbours smart tv 3 doors away, the orientation of the unifi would also mean that the neighbours tv would be "off to the side" of the access point if not a little "behind".

If you can afford it, buy an active antenna. Active is powered by dc voltage either power adapter or battery. Most use power adapter and require you to have some AC outlet near the antenna.

Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Powerlink-Wir...nnectors/dp/B001JHNLRM/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_2

You have a really nice router with great bandwidth. Now your router is dual band so most active antenna is 2.4 GHz. You will want one that offers dual band amplification.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd say boost the signal strength with DD-WRT and then employ a cantenna at the other end. Can't get much cheaper than that.

If that's not good enough, just get a wireless repeater.

why not just pick up a unifi from ubiquiti?

if you absolutely must have the absolute long range go for the unifi-lr (long range).

I have one and i can pick up my wifi on my neighbours smart tv 3 doors away, the orientation of the unifi would also mean that the neighbours tv would be "off to the side" of the access point if not a little "behind".
I am interested in this, looks like it might be just what I am looking for.
If you can afford it, buy an active antenna. Active is powered by dc voltage either power adapter or battery. Most use power adapter and require you to have some AC outlet near the antenna.

Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Powerlink-Wir...nnectors/dp/B001JHNLRM/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_2

You have a really nice router with great bandwidth. Now your router is dual band so most active antenna is 2.4 GHz. You will want one that offers dual band amplification.
Also an option. What benefit would I have this over the Unifi ?
I'd say boost the signal strength with DD-WRT and then employ a cantenna at the other end. Can't get much cheaper than that.

If that's not good enough, just get a wireless repeater.
My router isn't compatible with DD-WRT

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, I ended up getting the Ubiquiti Unifi AP LR and it's a useless piece of shit.

The signal is damn near stopped trying to go through one wall. It says it can go up to 600ft, I can't get it to go 60ft.

I hope I can return this

There's nothing wrong with the Unifis. Maybe you got a bad one or it's in a bad spot. We have a bunch of them in a few hospitals (lots of concrete) and they work very well. Maybe you should look at using an outdoor AP.

I've tried multiple different settings and everything I can think of, the signal drops to almost nothing when it has to go through 1 cinder block wall and a bit of siding.

Perhaps it is a bad unit, I don't know but it is not working how I expected it too. 1 cinder block wall should not block signal to the extent it is blocking it.

Anyone here know anything about these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833995097

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833995096

There's nothing wrong with the Unifis. Maybe you got a bad one or it's in a bad spot. We have a bunch of them in a few hospitals (lots of concrete) and they work very well. Maybe you should look at using an outdoor AP.

outdoor ap, pointed RIGHT at the next door house LOL! POUND that rf through the house !

Back