long-range wireless revisited

rogue_jedi

Supreme [H]ardness
me and my brother are still trying to get 1km range wireless (through some trees unfortunately)

i think we may have a solution in the article posted on hardocp a few days ago. you know, the one with the chinese cookware.

we found it interesting so we went looking for a place that had the large, metal, parabolic cookware we wanted. we found one with about a 8" radius or so for around $5 or so. we borrowed the wireless usb adaptor from my brother's friend. it is made by cameo. btw their support for this product SUCKS completely and totally. it is listed on their page, and the 5mb driver download has a working link and all that. but it just will not work. the drivers that came with it are good, and they work fine, but the ones on the website are teh suck. now that that is out of the way, we can continue.

i know results would be better with a better usb adaptor, but this is more a 'proof-of-concept' than anything else. we'll get a good one if this works.

we have the chinese cookware, the 802.11b adaptor, and the usb cable to get it near the window (again, proof-of-concept. if we get a link at all, we'll go buy some usb repeater cables and put this on the roof, where the signal strength and all that will be better) so i'll let you all know how it works when we get the drivers working. hopefully, that will be later today.

suggestions/helpful hints are welcome.

Back