Long Range Wireless Antennas

CypherNinja

[H]ard|Gawd
Yes, its another long range thread. :D

I searched but couldn't find one that answered my question for my specific circumstances.

So here's the story. This summer (leaving in a week) I'm going to be living with some extended family on an island in Maine. Cool place, spent many a summer there growing up, but one caveat.....

They had NO internet connections until last year. Now, as I understand it, the community has gotten together and set up some sort of broadband hookup to the community library. Don't ask me what it is, I don't have a clue. All I know is that its an 802.11g connection to civilization. :D

Here's the problem: I have a desktop. I'm not lugging it up to the library, and I can't use my uncle's laptop to run huge downloads. I know there are directional antennas for wireless setups, but do they work for both sending and receiving from a PCI card? I can't really ask the libray to hookup a new antenna just for me.

So.... my requirements are:

a) Must be easy hookup. I.E. PCI card with ____ connector + maybe this amp + this type of antenna + cabling = WIN

b) Google Earth tells me that the distance is approx. 1700-2000ft (worst case). Its hard to tell exactly because the resolution in that area sucks. Probably closer to 1800ft, though.

c) Must be relatively cheap. (~$150 max project cost)Consumer grade is just fine. A few seconds cutout here and there will probably irk me when websurfing, but won't kill a torrent.

I've done some Googling and found this D-link($$$$) (D-link says its good for 3km, 14dBi gain)
http://www.dlinkshop.com/product.asp?sku=1897579

A Grid Reflector type ($$) (24dBi)
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2424g.php

A Yagi type ($$) (14dBi)
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2415y.php

and this thingie ($) (14dBi)
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2414d.php

Assuming what I'm envisioning is even possible, what type of antenna will serve best? Size isn't a huge concern, it can be worked with. This setup is going to be located in an elevated room, so the path will be going through the very tops of some trees, possibly above them (its been a while). I'd like to get the highest gain possible so that it can deal with the fog and treetops better. (this is a correct line of thought, right?)

Also, will any amps or filters be needed? I don't know what the capabilities of a PCI card are.

EDIT: This thing will be mounted either just inside or just outside the window, so there's no real indoor/outdoor requirement.

This is somewhat basic, at least from what im used to.

You're going to want a directional antenna, so that yagi like is your best bet. 14.5 dbi with minimal interference should be ok, try and get something in the 20dbi rang though.

as for a card, anything with an external antenna port should be fine and a pig tail cable is what you're going to need. Remember, .11g is greatly attenuated by factors such as fog,rain,trees, etc. so try and get the antenna as high as possible.

You might also want to get a book about wifi, the CWNA book would be my reccomendation.

I am not an expert on this, but I have a few suggestions. First off, it will help a lot if both sides have equipment. For example an amp is of limited use only on your side: the target may hear everything but you can't hear him (amps are of very limited benefit for recieving). Next up, a clear line of sight to your target is very important, and not just a visual LOS, because radio signals have this whole fresnel zone thing. So check up on that before you go spending a lot of money. Also try to keep the radio cables as short as possible because they weaken the signal. Better yet find a card that connects via usb/ethernet and set it right next to the antenna to minimize length. And outside would be better. And definitely go for one of the hyperlinktech things if you decide to go through with this.

$115 Demarctech 300MW card If this is a little much then heres the BIG list of cards and their power rating

and that 15DB Backfire from Hyperlink ($40 ish) you linked to, would be the way I would go, but that's becasue I own all the equipment already and have a good idea that it would work.

Just a note unless you spend at least $100 with hyperlink you will have to go through their consumer site to buy the antenna. Same price.. I have no idea why they have 2 sites.

You will also have another $20 wraped up into a pig tail to go from the N connector on the back of the antena to your card. The backfire uses a N connector. Other antennas may use a diffrent one. i.e. BNC, TNC, RP/TNC ETC

EDIT: Ohh ya... Do you have line of sight... i.e. how many buildings and trees are in the way, and how high can you get the antenna?

CypherNinja said:
Yes, its another long range thread. :D

EDIT: This thing will be mounted either just inside or just outside the window, so there's no real indoor/outdoor requirement.

Yeah, you're definetly going to want to mount it on the roof with a pole extension if you can. Like I said, trees,buildings,fog,rain, affect the signaling band a great deal, so you're going to want direct line of sight.

and like 444 said, you have to have a good connection at both points. The public library could be completly blasting the signal out with 35dbi antennas, if you're equipment can't communicate back, you're dead in the water. See if you can talk to the IT guy at the library and tell him your plans, see if he can tell you you're SNR from HIS equipment.

I had a friend make a close-range directed wireless connection in his home because he didn't want to drill holes in the walls.

He used pieplates and some wire.

Thanks for those sugestions moetop.

Anybody else know where I can find good comparisons of PCI cards (Rx sensitivity and Tx power)?

xphil3 said:
Yeah, you're definetly going to want to mount it on the roof with a pole extension if you can. Like I said, trees,buildings,fog,rain, affect the signaling band a great deal, so you're going to want direct line of sight.

and like 444 said, you have to have a good connection at both points. The public library could be completly blasting the signal out with 35dbi antennas, if you're equipment can't communicate back, you're dead in the water. See if you can talk to the IT guy at the library and tell him your plans, see if he can tell you you're SNR from HIS equipment .

IT guy..... sorry but thats kinda funny.:D I forgot to mention it, but this island has only 30 full time residents. :eek: Sorry to say, but the router is probably just a Linksys sitting on a desk somewhere. I figured there would have to be good equipment at both ends, but I thought maybe I could "fudge it" a little. :p I was most likely gonna get the 24dBi Grid Antenna, I thought maybe that would have enough "focus" to pick up the library and get the signal out there.

For those who are interested, open up Google Earth and take a look at 44°14'58.63"N/68°15'34.15"W. Thats where the house is, right at the end of "Dog Point Road" (the road is actually named that because of my Aunt's beagles, I was shocked when it showed up on GE). The library is located right at the intersection of "Great Cranberry Rd" and "The Lane".

I think I'll wait until I get up there and run a few tests. I'll tromp through the woods with my uncle's laptop and see how far the signal makes it. (probably not far) Depending on how far it goes, maybe I'll try a directional antenna.

With any luck maybe I can convince them to run an upgrade. :D

CypherNinja said:
Thanks for those sugestions moetop.

Anybody else know where I can find good comparisons of PCI cards (Rx sensitivity and Tx power)?

IT guy..... sorry but thats kinda funny.:D I forgot to mention it, but this island has only 30 full time residents. :eek: Sorry to say, but the router is probably just a Linksys sitting on a desk somewhere. I figured there would have to be good equipment at both ends, but I thought maybe "fudge it" a little. :p

For those who are interested, open up Google Earth and take a look at 44°14'58.63"N/68°15'34.15"W. Thats where the house is, right at the end of "Dog Point Road" (the road is actually named that because of my Aunt's beagles, I was shocked when it showed up on GE). The library is located right at the intersection of "Great Cranberry Rd" and "The Lane".

LOL, man you're SOL if its a soho device with the normal 2.5dbi antennas. :p
You could have 1000dbi antennas all over your house(sarcasim), but the AP wont be able to communicate with you. Sorry man.

xphil3 said:
LOL, man you're SOL if its a soho device with the normal 2.5dbi antennas. :p
You could have 1000dbi antennas all over your house(sarcasim), but the AP wont be able to communicate with you. Sorry man.

Thats what I figured. :(

By the end of the summer I'll probably be ready to walk in there with this:
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/ha2401g.php (2 watt version)

and this:
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/sectorized_omni_array.php

and say "PLUG THESE IN NOW, MOTHERF@&%ER!!!!!!!!"

:D

Anybody know if there is such a thing as outdoor rated Cat5? And where can I buy about 3000 feet of it?

EDIT: Awesome.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you want some hw comparisons check out seattlewireless.org. They have a couple helpful lists there.

Get a Buffalo WHR G54S or Linksys WRT54GL, install DD-WRT firmware, get a high gain antenna, preferably something directional, and whatever cable you may need.

I get a quarter mile through dense trees (dense as in hard to walk through, nature's privacy fence).
I've got a WRT54GS with 25ft of LMR400 and a 10.5dBi omni on my porch, about 10-12ft, the highest thing around at this time, a WRT54GL atop my car with bone stock 2dBi antenna has access 1/8 mile down a hill through enough trees that you can't tell the place is civilized.

CypherNinja said:
Anybody know if there is such a thing as outdoor rated Cat5? And where can I buy about 3000 feet of it?

Ethernet is specced for 100M runs. You're looking at providing power every 100M, eight times. Not really feasable. You will need to do fiber for a 1KM run. Unfortunately I know jack about running fiber or what kinds you need for this.

Back