long range wifi card?

DaWhim

Limp Gawd
I am getting a lappy soon, so I want a long range wifi card to do wardriving (possibly). anyone knows what is the best card out there?

you might wanna edit out the part about driving cuz this thread will get locked since its considered illegal

Originally posted by mHubs
you might wanna edit out the part about driving cuz this thread will get locked since its considered illegal

Wardriving is not illegal. Connecting to a network without permission is.

Originally posted by mHubs
maybe all the Newbie Cheeze of this forum should read up before speaking

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=722840

now, i would flame but its against the rules, just like wardriving

That thread did not say wardriving was against the rules, it said using someone else's network without permission was.

Originally posted by MajorDomo
Using someone's network just because you can is like stealing their car if they left the keys in it. Just because you can, doesn't give you the right. It is illegal, it is theft and it against the forum rules.

Yes, you can't steal network access, its not legal and discussion of anything in violation of the law is agaist forum rules. But looking to see if there are open networks (or, playing the Major's example) looking to see if there are any cars in the parking lot with keys in the ignition is not. Me personally, I went wardriving a couple times, but that was for research for a presentation for work, to show why wireless would be a bad idea, since improperly maintained wireless is like an open door. Didn't access any networks, just logged some in the area that were open and obviously businesses.

I second Orinoco Gold, you can even attach an external antenna to the PCcard for even better range. ;)

you can build external antennas and fit them to cards that have connectors. www.wardriving.com <--- you can get information from this site about, antennas, software, hardware, etc.

In my opinion i would suggest the Orinoco Gold a+b 802.11 card. Im sure that this card has external antenna connector and is compatiable with Netstumbler, and will work in most versions of Linux with the right patch drivers.

Also if you want to go cheap you can get a Blitzz wifi card from Wallyworld for about $30.00. Some of the models have external antenna connectors.

If you dont plan on using external antennas i suggest going with D-link

:D

PS: Wardriving is not a crime. Its the same as scanning for radio stations in your car. We wardrivers are not just looking for the unsecure networks, we are looking for the secure ones too.
:D

Dell Truemobile 1150 flashed with Orinoco firmware. Same card but cheaper.

Back