long load times for win xp pro

wesleys_dad

[H]ard|Gawd
Why does it take so long for win xp pro to load , the blue bar that keeps coming across takes like 20 times to load windows...Its a fresh load of windows with sp2 and im on a fast computer...dual core x2 3800 with 2 gigs of ram and 2 different hard drives 1 is a raptor....my mobo is an asus a8ne and for the life of me i cant seem to figure why..I went to msconfig and turned off all unecessary start up programs and there isnt much on this yet as i just reloaded it 2 days ago...its defraged....my son has a 754 system and his loads with like 5 passes of the loading bar...Ive also tryed several different bios'es too....cant figure it out...seems to me i had faster loading times with my single core 3200 but i cant swear to it...Im open for any ideas.......please some input guys.......
the computer runs fast as can be when its loaded and benchmarks are very good...I have xp pro on a sata 80 gig wd and xp home on a raptor 36 gig all are sata no ide hdrives...its driving me nuts.........................

It's usually one of two things: either a driver taking a while to load (make sure you update them all, including chipset), or a network issue, where it's taking a while to hear back from and configure the network.

I miss being able to just say "BootVis" because that would be the tool to not only diagnose the slow booting issues but the resolution also. Unfortunately, as BootVis simply doesn't work with SATA hardware, I'm at a loss as to help people anymore since no other utility does what BootVis did. Regardless, what djnes just said are the most likely culprits. The trick is discovering exactly which, or it could be both actually.

If I was a programmer I'd write an application that would act and work like BootVis on steroids for any version of XP, or even 2K if necessary, 32 bit and 64 bit capable, and probably even find some way to help Vista too.

Guess I couldn't do that in BASIC, eh? :D

Back