Long distance cable

techie81

[H]ard for [H]ardware
My parents have a second home which is about 600 feet from the street. They want to be able to connect cable (coaxial) TV/Internet/Phone to the house. The cable company stated that they will not lay the cable so it looks like we will have to do the work ourselves or hire someone to do it. We already have conduit in the ground, ready to go.

What type of cable could we lay down that would not require a repeater?
If a repeater is required, how far apart do they need to be?
Would it be possible to use one repeater, at the street?
Are there any other options?

Thanks for the help.

My parents have a second home which is about 600 feet from the street. They want to be able to connect cable (coaxial) TV/Internet/Phone to the house. The cable company stated that they will not lay the cable so it looks like we will have to do the work ourselves or hire someone to do it. We already have conduit in the ground, ready to go.

What type of cable could we lay down that would not require a repeater?
If a repeater is required, how far apart do they need to be?
Would it be possible to use one repeater, at the street?
Are there any other options?

Thanks for the help.

I think it has to be rg6 witch is dual/quad shielded.

Sorry for being a noob but how would that work?

Do you have access to their block on the poll ?

No amplifier needed, just a cable from poll to your box on side of the house, make sure your ground block is in and functional too.

Do you have access to their block on the poll ?

No amplifier needed, just a cable from poll to your box on side of the house, make sure your ground block is in and functional too.

I know that the box is located at the front of the property where we get our electricity. The concern was the cabling required and if it needed a repeater. So we can use some cable, like rg-11, from the box to the house without any major issues?

wait, i'm confused. Does this property have two houses, one close to the street and one far away, or just a single home 600ft from the street.

wait, i'm confused. Does this property have two houses, one close to the street and one far away, or just a single home 600ft from the street.

One home in the country. It's 600ft from the street.

Even with RG11 you'll loose ~21dB on a 750 mhz system. 600ft will pretty much require 500 trunk cable and an amp.

Even with RG11 you'll loose ~21dB on a 750 mhz system. 600ft will pretty much require 500 trunk cable and an amp.

What does that mean for someone who knows nothing about cabling?

Can someone else chime in here? Can I amplify the signal at the road?

Without knowing the specifics of how the cable system out there is designed we can't tell you a whole lot. You could amplify it at the road if you wanted but you still have to know how much signal you have coming into the amp, what tilt between the high and low ends of the signaling needs to be, and how much signal you need at the house. Once you know that you can decided if you even need to amplify the signal.

Chances are if they have an amp by the road already then an RG11 drop shoudl be ok, though you'll need to use an amp in the house if you plan to feed more then one tv.

If you're toward the middle or end of a section you'll more then likely need to use an amp before the drop to get the signal high enough.

wrong answer, the cable company said they will not lay cable.

They will boost connect and make it work, assuming that you did nothing negligent. So run the RG11 and tell them you would like them to finish the install. They should provide whatever booster is required to get the proper signaling at ONE location of your choice in the house.

Thanks for the help guys. That is probably what we will do.

Back