lol! Apple overclocks their minis!

Absentee

[H]F Junkie
im sitting at the apple store now, posting from a mac mini running with a 20" screen....

guess what...its running at 1.5 ghz....

:shock: and they aren't even maxing it out with 1 gig of memory.....

Black Morty Rackham said:
Uh? They've been selling 1.5GHz minis for a while now. Check the amount of VRAM as well.

Eh, but in the processor line it says PowerPC G4 1.2

also...no they havent been selling 1.5 ghz minis. they sell 1.42..big difference! :p

i didn't think to look at the vram though...since i didn't think it was a newer mini (i still don't think it is....) and the minis are standard 32MB VRAM with no upgradeability...

and im home now...so meh (got my replacement in-ear earbuds! finally!)

Kris said:
No, they sell 1.5GHz Minis in 1.42GHz packaging.

Correct. Apple never really announced they were upgrading the Mini line. They just quietly started shipping them out. Chances are pretty good that if you get a Mini now, you'll get the upgraded version with 64MB of VRAM. Me, I'm stuck with the origional 1.42Ghz. :( Unless someone wants to be nice and buy it off of me... :D

The fact is that pic still shows the processor reports itself as a 1.2... unless all G4s report themselves as 1.2s inside of minis...

NulloModo said:
The fact is that pic still shows the processor reports itself as a 1.2... unless all G4s report themselves as 1.2s inside of minis...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that's the processor version. I'll know for certain when I get home.

wow...thats pretty cool...a "silent upgrade"...lol

and something else seems to confirm this..

my mini says:
Machine Model: Powermac10,1 (instead of the 10,2 of the apple store mini)
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.9f1

all else (cept processor speed) is the same....

ill hafta look at the vram next time im there (may be a while :()

offtopic:
ive just realised something.....

the mac side of things is very boring.....
no viruses, no spyware, nothing to fix! :p

The_Mage18 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that's the processor version. I'll know for certain when I get home.
Yep. The number there is the CPU version, not the "real" GHz. My iBook has a G4 1.5 and my Power Mac a G5 2.2. I really doubt Apple buys 1.5GHz CPUs from Freescale and then underclocks them. And there was no 2.2GHz G5 when the Power Mac I have was released.

Why exactly did this happen again? I thought it was because they would be announcing a new mini...but that never happened. So why would they silently change the specs?

Probably because Apple can't get their hands on 1.42Ghz G4s so they bump it up to the 1.5Ghz instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if 2.0 Ghz G4s started popping up in them. Apple likely has a lot of PowerPC stock to clear out of, and now that they are advertising how much better the Intel chips are, they are having a hard time selling them. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there ends up being a fire sale on minis at $200 in the future. If so, I will definately bite... I think the PowerPC is a pretty cool chip, and I'd like to have a mini to play with anyway. I already have a good DVR and all that, but something to tinker with is always fun (thus why I have boxes running WinXP, Mandrake, and BeOS at the moment).

this is sort of odd considering Apple's original plan was to phase out PowerPC from low to high - they were going to make the minis the first with the intels, followed by laptop and imac, then tower models....

maybe there will be an Intel mini on the horizon very soon, after all Apple expects PowerPC to be phased out by the end of 06...

keep your eyes peeled i guess

The_Mage18 said:
Correct. Apple never really announced they were upgrading the Mini line. They just quietly started shipping them out. Chances are pretty good that if you get a Mini now, you'll get the upgraded version with 64MB of VRAM. Me, I'm stuck with the origional 1.42Ghz. :( Unless someone wants to be nice and buy it off of me... :D

I'm just gonna keep my original 1.42 (now upgraded to 1GB memory) until an Intel based mac mini comes out. Then I'll swap it out.

It would be really cool if they decide to put a core duo in the new mini too... but it'll probably be a single core.

HopePoisoned said:
this is sort of odd considering Apple's original plan was to phase out PowerPC from low to high - they were going to make the minis the first with the intels, followed by laptop and imac, then tower models....

maybe there will be an Intel mini on the horizon very soon, after all Apple expects PowerPC to be phased out by the end of 06...

keep your eyes peeled i guess

The only thing I can think is the engineers saw the performance and realized if they put the intel chips in a mini and iBook first, it could impact the sales from iMac and Powerbooks (sorry MacBooks I will never get used to that) so they decided to upgrade those first, then go to the iBook and minis and finally the PowerMacs

I refuse to upgrade my Mac until I can dual boot with XP. All of the software I have for my Mac is PPC based, so I'd have to get an x86 version of Office and all the progs I bought for them to work, cause from what I understand Rosetta makes em run slower.

Anyone have proof otherwise?

Using Office 2004 on my *cough* AMD Mac through rosetta runs great.

Back