>> Logo design contest << ends March 20, 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweakmeister

[H]ard|Gawd
Contest is CLOSED!!! I had one entry come in right at 12:00am :D I will be replying to this thread shortly with the winner.

Payment for you! $100 cash to the winner at the close of this contest, provided by Paypal (or check/money order if you desire), OR any computer hardware related item up to $100 (shipped) in value.

[Details...]
-The company is Hogen Enterprises
-Preferred colors are White, Red, Blue, Black, Green, and Orange. Require atleast one of these colors in the final logo.
-Emphasis on the letter "H" is a must.
-A clear spelling of "Hogen Enterprises" is an added plus, but I'm open to your creations.
-The renderings must include a desktop background graphic 1600x1200 in size, along with a webpage logo (reasonably-sized, such as 70x250 or larger).

[Okay, I know that's a lot!]
The deadline for your entries is Saturday March 20, 2004 @ midnight (this deadline may be extended longer but don't count on it!). Entries may be emailed to me and/or posted here.

Feel free to post up here/PM/email any questions you may have. You can email me at [email protected]. I expect you to watermark your images when showing what you've created, and then to email the watermark-free renderings (with layers..non-compressed!) upon winning the contest. In accepting payment, you relinquish ownership of your work, and turn it over to me.

Simple, bold, powerful - keep these design elements in mind (this is for a business), but I encourage you to be creative, and let the artist come out in your work!

wow man, i could definately use the money. any limit on amount of times we can enter?

good luck to all!

Will you also need a print-ready version or only RGB internet-friendly versons?

Both would be great (ie the more you can offer, the better)

...at the moment we're primarily printing low dpi laser for pretty much everything, so the simplicity and boldness is a key element (black & white versatility).

I'm leaving it up to you guys, and your experience! I will be in and out this upcoming week, so if you post here or email it may take a day or two to acknowledge. Already have one entry (via email) and his early entry will allow time for feedback.

here's what I came up with in Photoshop.

hogen_mark.txt

im done with my entries, all rared up with the psd's.
ill email you the link, after i upload it because its about a 18mb sized rar.

i hope my webhost dont shut me down :D

heres 2 logos i made to match the wallpapers + banners.
again, sorry if its a bit big.

logo.gif

logo2.gif

The entries have been pouring in over email, and here on the boards....and there's still a week left!

This is going to be a tough choice. I encourage everyone to draw up multiple renderings of your logo with different color schemes.

One week to go!

maybe i missed it but what does this company do? it'd help to design something appropriate. oh and a tip for the guy who is choosing. Don't choose just by what you see on screen. Print a copy of each in teh way you'll use it(letterhead) to see if its legible and looks good via a laser printer. Sometimes they don't get gradients etc very well.
Well i had a few minutes, and yeah i suck at logos(mostly a photoshopper/image editor not a design from scratch kind of guy) and i figured what the hell, even if it isn't all that 3-d and pretty and all, you might like it.
Plus should hold up well at copy shops etc(i should know i work at one) because its simple, to the point and basic colors. But whatever
http://www.optimusprimal.com/hogan.jpg
hogan.jpg

yeah i was thinking about the logo standing up well to a printer lol....so i made my logo a lil more printer friendly.

logo3.jpg

logo4.jpg

Yeah i didn't actually expect my amazing design to stand up against the rest, just thought i'd throw in my two cents though.

SCHOOL FIRST!

Quink - thank you for your additional thoughts. I have been printing everything on the office laser printer to ensure it comes out well.

Word to the wise...make sure you spell the name right if you are seriously gunning to win ;)

Keep 'em coming guys! You've got until Saturday at midnight. I will announce a winner sometime afterwards (hopefully by Sunday evening if time allows). I'm flying out on Monday so I'll try to get this wrapped up before then.

Look no more... this one for sure is a winner

The Best One

Try To beat this peice of art, i might as well call that 100$ my own!,.,.,.,.:cool: :D

One logo, in web and print ready formats. And one desktop back ground Image @ 1600x1200.

If theres any thing else let me know. :D

helogosmall.jpg

3dhogansmall.jpg

Some variations on the Logo
helogoBL01.jpg

helogoBL02.jpg

And what it would look like on a desktop....
hogenback.jpg

Originally posted by duuuuuumb
Look no more... this one for sure is a winner

The Best One

Try To beat this peice of art, i might as well call that 100$ my own!,.,.,.,.:cool: :D

Worth an honorable mention, no doubt.

--

Like the other entries, you all are in the running.

I'm going to be in a business seminar all day Saturday but will be home in the evening to consider every entry (up until Mindnight) and come up with a winner on Sunday.

After a lot of thought, late night discussions, and deliberating amongst several people, I've arrived at a decision on the winner.

First let me say, this was a fantastic contest. There were good entries, and there were amazingly great entries, and it is of the latter that took so much time to decide from. The final deciding factor ended up being a conglomeration of other factors like print quality, ability for future reworks, and most importantly, the image the logo conveyed of the company going into the future.

It is for these reasons and more that the final design chosen is:

he_desktop.jpg

he_logo.jpg

*color will be incorporated in the future

Key aspects of this that we liked are the striking text, simplicity, and "corporation not comic book" look. While other logos were better in other regards, in this instance, the logo just fit the company.

I want to thank everyone for their entries. To those who didn't win: don't worry, I'm taking note of your works and will likely be asking you for use of them in future ventures (ie, no contest, you'll just get asked to morph the design into the venture's name, and we'll shoot you payment).

Thank you again to everyone, and...

Have a great week!

what font is that? You do realize that if that isnt a font that comes with Windows, you have to pay for the use of it. And it looks like you did it in Photoshop, which means it's not vector...have fun resizing that while retaining 100% quality. BTW, I didn't enter...just letting you know.

:( ah well, there will be other contest (hopefully lol)

nice work Tony Montana :)
thx for the contest Tweakmeister, gave me a chance to sharpen my skills.

lol...so what font is it? Do you think people that create fonts just give them away for commercial use? Also, was I right that you did it in Photoshop? I'm just curious.

windows fonts are royalty free, as long as you paid for windows. Besides most of the fonts arn't made by microsoft anyway, didn't you people take typography! ovibously not.

Originally posted by pistola
windows fonts are royalty free, as long as you paid for windows. Besides most of the fonts arn't made by microsoft anyway, didn't you people take typography! ovibously not.

I already said that if they came with Windows...you can use them...learn how to read please.

My exact words: "what font is that? You do realize that if that isnt a font that comes with Windows, you have to pay for the use of it."

Most of the fonts that come with Windows are made by the Monotype Corperation Which MS owns I believe. No need to take a typography class to know that you can't use someone else's font commercially. That's ILLEGAL and will get you sued, so it's kind of important that you remember what font you used...but whatever. I don't care...it's not me that has to deal with it. It's just extremely unprofessional IMO, to give a "client" artwork that could get them in legal trouble. Not to mention...there is no way for him to resize that logo (larger than it already is) without losing quality. Also, I don't believe you can save a document at 300 DPI using MS Paint, which is printing resolution. When, and if, he goes to get this professionally printed...they will laugh at him. He's gonna have to pay them or someone else to redo it...bottom line.

Don't get me wrong...I think the logo is nice. I like it personally...but Paint doesn't produce professional quality logos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back