• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Logitech Z560 just stopped working

chromal

n00b
Joined
Oct 5, 2012
Messages
6
Not sure exactly what happened, but my old dinosaur Logitech Z560 just won't produce any sound either from the sub or the volume control (with headphones). It powers on because the lights come on, but that's it. I currently have the heatsink ripped off the back.. had to loop one of my belts through since my fingers are too big and rip that mofo off, all wires still connected and that's where I'm at.

Not sure what to do, but I really want deep bass in my room strictly for music, so if I need to just go get something else that's fine, as I cannot find any used z560's (i'd like to stay with this). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do or what I could maybe buy? The Z560 shook me and my whole room for a comparison. I'm not the most efficient at replacing parts with car subs or anything like that so please keep that in mind.

Thanks!
 
go buy some real speakers like studio monitors at your local guitar center or something?
 
supposedly there is a fuse that isn't too hard to replace. I haven't had to do it yet. My old z560's are still kicking, but now they're in the kitchen.

If you don't want to spend much and you think they sounded okay, then just replace the fuse.

Otherwise, toss the speakers and get some decent sounding ones. I bought a pair of M-Audio AV40's and realized how bad the z560's sucked. Then I decided to put the AV40's on my wife's computer and get myself a real setup. I am now $500 poorer.
 
just spend $300 on studio monitors

like m-audio bx5a D2 are good for entry level or get mackie 5" studios at guitar center
 
if they power up...


also check the cable

my z560s stopped making sound (powered up just no sound from speakers or headphone jack ...because my cat bit thru part of the cable and broke two of the wires. I mended those and then they worked again for years


however... last year I decided to replace them and couldn't be happier

powered monitor speakers can be good


In my case I replaced them first with a T-Amp / bookshelf speakers

and now a 30 Some year old Pioneer SA-710 integrated amp ($110~ish shipped off ebay) 65wpc and a set of JBL L1 bookshelf speakers ... (awesome speakers) I go for $40.

The Z560s are all right... but the sub is way too boomy .... my enjoyment of audio has been greatly enhanced going the stereo route.

i love my vintage stuff ...but my $50 SMSL T-amp and $50 (sale) Polk T15 bookshelf speakers (pretty compact little guys) absolutely trashed the z560s sound quality wise.


oh well I got my Z560s god knows how long ago over a decade I guess? and used them for nearly a decade.... I can't remember I think i got mine in 02?... meh... i only paid $100 bucks for them on sale so i suppose i got my monies worth from them... but there are a lot better sounding options vs those things ....keep the satellites thought they are handy for various things ... I think (personally) the sats are better sounding than the hella boomy sub.


I have the sats as test speakers basically (when I find ...even more vintage stuff i test it out with the z560 sats first.
 
that's what i prefer is the boomy tho.. i have subs in my car and only care about the bass. i have my highs set to where the bass doesn't overpower them but if i can't feel the bass in my chest then im not a happy camper...

im a complete dummy when it comes to audio pieces tho, like i have no idea what you guys are talking about when you say what you bought (i can tell it's not computer speakers).. i mean if we're talking towers like what you would see at a concert then fine, but that's gonna have to wait a bit i guess... maybe i can just use something cheap from local retail store and return it within 30 days or somethin and upgrade idk
 
does it have the right end to plug into the back of the computer? the 3.5mm jack i guess ? cant tell by reading specs
 
You do understand that the $250 price is per speaker, right? so $500 total. + tax if applicable.

There are many options at the $500 price point. But if you get studio monitors like the KRK, your weak link is your DAC on the onboard sound (unless you have a decent soundcard).
 
yeah i know it'd be $500, i was just using that as an example to know what you guys were talking about as far as studio monitors go... i don't have that budget and won't for some time. i was at a best buy returning a phone just now and i saw a powered sub for 170 and it had speaker inputs in the back (i still have all the speakers from my logitech so that's set) but the guy said i'd need a receiver with it... i didn't understand why, it was a bigger sub than the logitech one and it was already powered, so couldn't i just put that on the floor in the place of the logitech sub, plug the logitech speakers in the back of it, and get an rca to 3.5mm converter?
 
the powered sub plugs directly into the wall... but well i guess if it doesnt come with a volume control then i guess i'd understand the need for the receiver. darn... i really don't want to spend over 200 but i want deep bass and the speakers from the logitech are pretty good already, so i technically just need a sub and something to power it or a powered sub with a volume control
 
You still need an amplifier for the speakers. The z560 sub has the amp for each speaker. So if you use a different sub, then you still need an amp for the speakers because you can't connect them directly to your 3.5mm jack. Even if you could, the 3.5mm jack can't provide enough power for the speakers without an amp. I strongly recommend trashing the z560 speakers and getting a decent pair of bookshelf speakers and a little Lepai or Topping amp. Then add a sub and figure out how to connect it all. The best route, imo, is to buy a used Yamaha, Denon or Onkyo receiver on Craigslist that has an SPDIF (optical) input.
You should be able to find one for $75 used because people sell their old receivers that don't have HDMI. Then you don't need a soundcard either because there is a good DAC in the receiver.
 
$30 T-Amp + $50 bookshelves (Dayton B652 or Sony SS-B1000) + Dayton or Monoprice 10" sub for around $100 will get you sound that will blow away the Logitechs. Granted that's 2-channel stereo instead of surround but still, way better than the Logitechs.
 
oh man, I remember my old z560s. Went through hell and back before their final bzzzzt pfff. This I know goes against quality audio canon, but if you can find a deal for corsair sp2500 for ~200 or less, I'd consider those. Yes, not a true audiophile setup, but damnit, hooked up to a decent sound card and appropriate EQ tweaks, and they'll do you just dandy. Thats what I am rocking right now. 2.1 setup yes, but better a good 2.1 set than a lackluster surround set imho. YMMV.
 
The 560's were some of the best PC speakers ever made, so its not surprising that people still want to use them. Mine recently stopped playing audio through the left front channel so I found a seller on Ebay selling just the control module, bought it and it worked. My 560's are rocking again. I'll hold them for another few years if they last that long. I've been using my 560's for about 8 years or more that I can recall.
 
Back
Top