• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Logitech Z-680's & Dolby Digital

GuruX

Gawd
Joined
Jul 8, 2001
Messages
639
I currently have the Logitech Z-680 speakers, and I can't seem to figure out how to get a Dolby Digital source to work through the optical port. I'm using a PS2 as the DVD player until I can get my HTPC built.

Even playing a 5.1 source, the only Effects I can select from on the Z-680's are:

Stereo, Stereo x 2, Dolby Pro Logic II Music, Dolby Pro Logic II Movie.

Does the PS2 not really output Dolby Digital (as it "claims" to do), or am I missing something?

I am building an HTPC, and will probably connect it via optical output as well once I do, so this question might be relevant to both cases.
 
Is the Input(button) setting on the z680 control pod set to optical?
Are you using a source that outputs Dolby Digital (dvd movies, certain ps2 games) and not the others (Pro Logic etc)? Not all movies and games output DD by default (and not always in all instances, some games only cutscenes), make sure you have it set.
Also there's a setting in the ps2 main menu (the menu you get when you don't have anything in the drive) to enable optical output.

That's all I can think about, some may be redundent by it always helps to double-check! :)
 
if this is for games, only SOME will work... for movies, most that supports it will work but, You need to activate it in the PS2,
 
Unless you have a sound card like the X-Mystique that has onboard Dolby Digital Live encoding, you cannot have DD in any program except those support pass through of DD content. Programs like PowerDVD or WinDVD will have an option under sound that says SPDIF/pass through. Use that for forcing your optical output to generate the approiate signal.

http://www.hdaudiovisual.com.au/mcpc/xmgold71.htm
 
Back
Top