Logitech z-5500

slugger_2003

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 30, 2007
Messages
365
General reviews of these speakers seem to be good, what do you folks think?
I'm currently planning on buying the Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme soundcard, is this necessary or will the onboard audio on the motherboard (not sure which I'm going to get, but probably one which will run the Intel E6600) produce results that I would not notice any difference between having a soundcard and not?
 
I am very pleased with the Z5500s. I use them on my cable box, DVD player, and computer. I would hold off on the X-Fi and see how happy you are with the standard sound first. I can say that the X-Fi patch for UT2004 did make a difference in the sound, for the better. I haven't played any other recent games that would take advantage of the X-Fi so I can't comment beyond that.
 
If you buy a mobo with DTS connect, you can use digital connection with the Z-5500 and you can wait a little while to buy a sound card. You can still get a good sound quality from your onboard if you use digital.
 
Presume the newer intel compatible 775(i think E660 is that socket?) socket mobo's have DTS connect?
Would the soundcard actually make any difference at all? I'm going to be spending about £2500/$5000 on this computer so the soundcard isn't really going to hit the budget that hard.
$5000 may sound like a lot but we get less for our cash over here in the UK.
 
The z-5500's are terrific. I use them for my PC and my PS2. Onboard audio does NOT take advantage of these speakers and an X-Fi would be a great compliment to them. I've heard them with and without an add-on soundcard.

Also, OpenAL and EAX 2.0 and up enabled games will take advantage of the tone and positional audio the X-Fi's generate...i.e. Quake 4, F.E.A.R. to name a couple.



 
Back
Top