• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Logitech Z-5500 vs 5300?

Ulrezaj

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 29, 2004
Messages
65
It's maybe come up before, but I only found one thread on it and it was more about size than anything. I'm wondering what the differences are between the two, outside of their physical features. I've read that the 5500s are digital vs analogue for the 5300s but what real difference does that make? I'm getting an X-Fi, so wouldn't that be able to convert between the two signal types? What makes the 5500s $150 more? I know it has a prettier remote and a slightly more powerful woofer but practically, does this account for the price difference in real-world gaming/music?
 
Z5500 all the way
Better SPL
Better RMS Wattage all around (280w vs 505w)
Control pod with Digital Inputs(coax, fiber toslink). I switch between all inputs between my xbox/ps2, computer, Satellite TV
Nice Remote
96 kHz / 24-bit digital audio streams
Bigger Drivers all around (2.5" vs 3" for satellites, 6.5" vs 10" for subwoofer)


Bandpass box vs. bass reflex for the subwoofer. This makes the z5300 sound louder in terms of bass. But I find it to be not as clean

+ you forget, the z5500's can be gotten for $200 give or take $20
So it's certainly not 150 more. If anyone buys it for that they are suckers :)
 
side note
I have the z5500's
my brother has the z5300's

He was floored when he heard mine
I was impressed with his when he bought them but mine are definitly better speakers. Theres nothing wrong with the 5300. For their price they are fantastic speakers.
 
Agreed. Ive had two, my third is on its way, sets of Z-5500's and one set of 5300's. It is very easy to say that the 5500's absolutely womp on the 5300's. Im not saying that the 5300's arent good, theyre great but the 5500's...wow! Spend the extra cash and get the 55's. You will NOT be dissapointed.
 
The model numbers are a bit misleading anyway, really. The 5300s were the Logitech top-end speakers two generations ago. The Z680s were the top-end of the last generation. The 5500s are the top end of this generation. Don't really know why they keep flip-flopping the model numbers, but, yeah, there's two generations between them. It's not like they're two slightly different models in one range.
 
AdamW said:
The model numbers are a bit misleading anyway, really. The 5300s were the Logitech top-end speakers two generations ago. The Z680s were the top-end of the last generation. The 5500s are the top end of this generation. Don't really know why they keep flip-flopping the model numbers, but, yeah, there's two generations between them. It's not like they're two slightly different models in one range.

the 5300's were never the flagship

They were working on both within the same timeframe, and always planned for the 5500's to be the best. The 5300 just came out sooner
 
ruffy: ? 5300s were out before 680s, weren't they? What was better then?

It seems odd they would be working on them both at the same time but take more than a year longer to release 5500s...
 
I'm pretty sure the z680s were a generation before the 5300s. I remember they were already around for sometime when I got my z560s almost 3 years ago.

Edit: I'm good at speeling.
 
AdamW said:
ruffy: ? 5300s were out before 680s, weren't they? What was better then?

It seems odd they would be working on them both at the same time but take more than a year longer to release 5500s...

z-5500>z-680's ( barely, same sats but sub is a bit bigger, z-5500 easier to use control pod better bass is deeper)


z5300's don't really compare to the z-5500/z-680's league really.
 
if the 5500's allow you to use speaker wire and not hard wired like the 5300's, that alone is worth the price of admision. i hate the 5300's for that alone.
 
Considering they retail for 400 bucks. 250 is a great deal. I got my first set for about 260 and my second set with a free Dell Printer for about 220.
 
extreme4377 said:
Considering they retail for 400 bucks. 250 is a great deal. I got my first set for about 260 and my second set with a free Dell Printer for about 220.

Very few retailers (especially big-box retailers such as Best Buy) sell even the 5500s at list. In fact, Best Buy just returned the 5500s TO list for the first time since their introduction (and will likely discount them for the Christmas buying season). I'm looking at the Z-5500s to replace my finally-dead Creative Inspire 5.1-5300s (the wired remote died after three hard years of dealing with a *chewing dog*), and will use the *excuse* to upgrade the sound card as well (from Audigy 2 ZS to an X-Fi (likely the Platinum, because of the included bay-based breakout box)).
 
yeh... a few months back bestbuy didnt have any in store hehe.. yesterday I went to check out the store and found them there..... 399 bucks... right besides the Klipsh ultra 5.1 which cost like 50-70 less lol...
 
Back
Top