• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Logitech Z-5500 question

Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
2,784
I just got a Logitech Z-5500 THX and it supports DTS. If I use either an optical or coax cable will I get better sound quality? Or do I need a good sound card? Or both? I'm using onboard sound at the moment.

Right now I'm not too satisfied with the sound, I've heard better sound quality at the computer shop when they were displaying the speakers.
 
does your motherboard have onboard optical/digital?

there will be no difference between the onboard optical/digital and a sound card with optical/digital.
 
... Yes, you can spend money on a soundcard if you want to, but the onboard optical will be EXACTLY the same as the optical from a soundcard. It's not processed, its sent directly as a digital feed to your speakers amp either way. A soundcard will make a difference for headphones, or if you want EAX for games, and you use analog out from the soundcard... but you won't "upgrade" the optical if you get a soundcard.
 
I agree that the onboard optical doesn't sound any different than the X-fi Optical. But if you do the direct connect with the 3.5mm jacks then the X-fi or whatever sound card your using will make a difference compared to onboard. I use onboard Optical and it detects the Dolby Digital when i pop a movie in. Got to love the Z5500.
 
I agree that the onboard optical doesn't sound any different than the X-fi Optical. But if you do the direct connect with the 3.5mm jacks then the X-fi or whatever sound card your using will make a difference compared to onboard. I use onboard Optical and it detects the Dolby Digital when i pop a movie in. Got to love the Z5500.

Of course going analog out with an Xfi is going to sound much better; that's the whole point to going with an Xfi is because it sounds great with an analog connection due to it's better DACs.

Going digital out from anything isn't going to sound better one way or another just because the sound card is do zero processing of the audio signal and the receiving end (in this case his speakers) are what matters since they are doing the processing.
Right now I'm not too satisfied with the sound, I've heard better sound quality at the computer shop when they were displaying the speakers.
Of course they did, that's how they get people to waste money on Bose products. The Z5500s are average at best but they can't compare to a decent/cheap receiver and decent speakers.
 
Wow, i'm glad this hasn't turned into a "Z5500's suck" thread.


They are great for their price, as others have said using optical out is the best and it doesn't matter wheter your using it via and soundcard of onboard. If your interested in playing games with surround sound then an X-Fi soundcard would be advisable vs the onboard. If your just listening to music or watching movies then the spdif will be your best bet.
 
I use it connected to the motherboard NF590/Realtek 5.1 analog and it's great. Awesome sound with Bluray movies. I have a phillips 1080p upconverting DVD connected optical, and the FIOS HD pvr connected with coax. The z5500 makes for a great cheap surround sound system for the tv. I got it for $165 and couldn't be happier.
 
Back
Top