I've had this speaker set forever, and while I'm sure it's not the absolute best speaker set, the full range response (mostly music when combined with Creative's upmixer (front and rear speaker sets have difference response ranges, oddly)) makes the set a pleasure to listen to. I like it, and I don't really want to replace it. Let me say that first.
I'm having an issue that makes absolutely no sense to me in terms of the actual electronics. For whatever reason, in when the switch is in 5.1 mode, the rear-right channel will cut in and out from full to about 1/3rd the volume for no discernible reason (during loud and soft periods.) If I swap the speaker cables around, I find that it's not the speaker, but the sub-woofer itself (well, the channel amp.) The stranger thing is that if I flip the switch in the back of the sub-woofer to 4.1, the channel will always go back to full volume. Additionally I've checked and replaced the fuse near the on/off switch as a desperate measure, but that didn't solve the problem. It's worth noting that this happened before with the rear-left channel a few times, but it simply went away after a while.
It can't be sound card related since this has happened with my onboard sound (as a test just in case), a PCI Soundblaster X-Fi, and a PCI-Express X-Fi as well.
I'm assuming it's just a case of the amp getting ready to die. This thing is at least 7 years old and it had to happen sooner or later, but if there's a fix that's possible (instead of jumping to the $400 successor (Z-5500)) I would appreciate it.
I'm having an issue that makes absolutely no sense to me in terms of the actual electronics. For whatever reason, in when the switch is in 5.1 mode, the rear-right channel will cut in and out from full to about 1/3rd the volume for no discernible reason (during loud and soft periods.) If I swap the speaker cables around, I find that it's not the speaker, but the sub-woofer itself (well, the channel amp.) The stranger thing is that if I flip the switch in the back of the sub-woofer to 4.1, the channel will always go back to full volume. Additionally I've checked and replaced the fuse near the on/off switch as a desperate measure, but that didn't solve the problem. It's worth noting that this happened before with the rear-left channel a few times, but it simply went away after a while.
It can't be sound card related since this has happened with my onboard sound (as a test just in case), a PCI Soundblaster X-Fi, and a PCI-Express X-Fi as well.
I'm assuming it's just a case of the amp getting ready to die. This thing is at least 7 years old and it had to happen sooner or later, but if there's a fix that's possible (instead of jumping to the $400 successor (Z-5500)) I would appreciate it.