Logitech Z-2300 Sub w/ 2 Behringer Truth B3031A Monitors Possible?

snukky

Weaksauce
A couple of days ago I purchased 2 Behringer Truth B3031A Active Studio Monitor's, and well initially i was going to replace my whole Logitech Z-2300 setup that i previously had with the the new Behringer speakers, but then i got to thinking..

What if I hooked the new Behringer speakers up to the sub-woofer that came with the Z-2300's? This way i would have a sub to go along with some pretty darn powerful speakers.

I have the wire connections all mapped out, so i know that's achievable, but would i damage either the sub, speakers or both by making a connection between both devices? (sub and speakers)

The volume and bass adjustment dial that the Logitech set up offered was unbelievably useful. I HATED the fact that i was giving it up; but the quality in the new Behringer speakers had proven to convince me enough to say my farewells to the good ol' logitechs.

I'm not too familiar with sound specs concerning this specific situation, so I hope to leave this up to you knowledgeable individuals out there who are... Also, i'm aware that bahringer makes a studio subwoofer that can go along with both speakers that ive purchased via XLR connection, however i've already spent a good amount of money on these speakers and the bass that they produce alone should be reasonably satisfying without having to dig back into my wallet...

Behringer Truth B3031A: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B3031A.aspx
Logitech Z-2300: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/231

Z-2300 Specs: (taken from various sources, apologize for repeating info)

Configuration 2.1
Total Power 200 watts RMS
Satellite RMS Power /ea 40 watts RMS
Subwoofer RMS Power 120 watts RMS
Frequency Response 35Hz - 20kHz
Signal to Noise Ratio(SNR) >100dB @ 1KHz
Remote Wired

Nominal Output Power (Total) 200 Watt
Max (RMS) Output Power (Total) 400 Watt
Response Bandwidth 35 - 20000 Hz
Signal-To-Noise Ratio 100 dB
THX certified Yes
Audio Amplifier Integrated
Connectivity Technology Wired
Controls Volume , Subwoofer volume control
Detachable Grilles Yes

Hardware
Total FTC power: 200 watts RMS
Sub-woofer: 120 watts RMS (into 8 ohms, @ 100Hz, @ 10% THD)
Satellites:
Left/Right: 40 watts RMS x 2 (into 8 ohms, @ 1khz, @ 10% THD)

Behringer Truth B3031A Specs

XLR connector: balanced input
1/4 inch TRS: balanced input
Input impedance: 10 kohms
Input Trim: –6 dB to +6 dB
Max. input level: +22 dBu
High-frequency driver: 2 inch ribbon
Low-frequency driver: 8 3/4 inch diameter Kevlar diaphragm
Amplifier Output Power: Low-frequency range
RMS @ 0.1 % THD (sine wave): 100 W @ 4 ohms
Peak power: 160 W @ 4 ohms
Amplifier Output Power: High-frequency range
RMS @ 0.1 % THD (sine wave): 40 W @ 4 ohms
Peak power: 80 W @ 4 ohms
Crossover Type: Active
Crossover frequency: 3.6 kHz
Frequency response: 50 Hz to 24 kHz
Sound pressure level: max. 116 dB SPL @ 1 m (pair)
Low Frequency: 0 dB @ 60 Hz
–2 dB @ 60 Hz
–4 dB @ 60 Hz
–6 dB @ 60 Hz
Room Compensation: 0 dB @ 300 Hz
–2 dB @ 300 Hz
–4 dB @ 300 Hz
–6 dB @ 300 Hz
High Frequency: +2 dB @ 8 kHz
0 dB @ 8 kHz
–2 dB @ 8 kHz
–4 dB @ 8 kHz
Voltage/Fuses:
100 - 120 V~, 50/60 Hz: T 5.0 A H 250 V
220 - 230 V~, 50/60 Hz: T 2.5 A H 250 V
Power consumption: max. 200 W
Mains connection: Standard IEC connector
Dimensions (HxWxD): 15.8 x 9.8 x 11.4 inches (400 x 250 x 290 mm)
Weight: 33 lbs (15 kg)

Spec listing can be seen here: http://www.behringer.com/EN/downloads/pdf/B3030A_P0084_OI_EN_ES_FR.pdf

Be aware that the Behringer speakers come in single purchases...

It shouldn't really matter, but here is my sound card in case you're wondering... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132014

One last thing, i believe that the Z-2300 Ohm rating is 8 while the Behringer speakers are 4, this can be seen from the specs above.. Also each behringer speaker is 4 ohm which = 8ohm, so i may have just answered my own question there but, i need all of the information that i can get..

Thank you for those who comment..

bump..

anything?

Just to update those reading.. i know that i'll be able to turn it into a 2.1 system. I have all of the correct wires and adapters... My question is will i be increasing my sound production/quality, decreasing, or am i possibly slowly destroying something.. ?

Sound quality is subjective. Double bass may appeal to some. As far as destroying something, if you are confident in what you are doing then go ahead and try it out and let us know what happens..

I just received the monitors in the mail, set them up with out the sub for now, i'll be testing the sub and speakers shortly... These things are boss, complete bliss, my god..

Ok, so I have decided that i will not attempt to bridge the sub between the speakers and the soundcard. I feel that it's not a wise choice for a couple of reasons,

The Logitech sub was designed for the logitech speakers, they are much smaller and constructed with considerably less sophistication than the Behringers, also the Behringer studio monitor category created a subwoofer for use of the Behringer studio speakers. I'm fine with using these for another year or more before deciding if i wan't a sub or not.

I feel that it's not worth it - the sub's in both of the Behringer speakers alone impress me enough to second guess my decision on using the logitech sub. You won't believe it until you experience them, my initial intentions on the speakers were considerably outnumbered by my opinions after receiving the speakers. About the quality and destructive topic, i personally feel that the Behringers may put out less "sound" or might decrease the output that the speakers might offer. I couldn't tell you why but, i feel that one of the bass in these monitors have a strong chance to compete with the logitech subwoofer, if it were pushed to do so however, i could be wrong. That's difficult though, because as you increase volume you also increase the tweeter as well as the bass, instead of being able to manipulate the bass solely, which is what you could adjust when using the logitech subwoofer. In this case my eardrums might blow.

The only room that i have left for the sub is under my desk but i'm enjoying the amount of space that my feet have. (not that big of a deal, really)

So my decision stands as to what i'm going to do with my logitech set. Well i was going to sell them on e-bay until I had this astonishing idea, then i found out that my father had purchased a new desktop from dell because "he was a member of their services and they were offering him savings/deals" etc.. I did suggest building him one to no avail; so I decided that i would just give them to him. His speakers dated back to around early 2000 anyway, plus he was due for a new set.

If you guys insist on me in trying the subwoofer with the speakers then i will. I'm kindof curious also, but on the other hand i really have no interest in doing so, and thats unlikely of me...

cheers

Back