• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Logitech z-2300 lacking bass

superballz00

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 8, 2005
Messages
148
I just picked up the z-2300 but there is very little bass from the sub. I have the sub seems extremely weak even at 100% compared to the volume of the satellite speakers. I had to play the THX Ultimate Subwoofer Test track with the sub at 100% to get a decent amount of bass out of the sub. I unplugged the satellites to test the sub on it's own and it does come to life when I have the system volume at 50%, sub at 50%, TV/PC volume at 50%, and PC bass at 50%. while playing the subwoofer test track. The sub seems extremely weak compared to the volume of the satellite speakers. My 10 year old Altec Lansing system (that costs less than $100 when it was new) with a 6.5in sub at about 50watts if I remember correctly puts out way more bass than the z-2300 at the same volume level. I have to turn the sub up to 100% when watching movies just to get a little bit off bass out of it during explosion scenes. The z-2300 sub does get loud but only when I have the volume so high I can't use the satellite speakers. Is there a chance I have a defective sub or volume controller?
 
i would definatly say so. the sub is supposed to get 120 watts while each of the satelites get 40 watts. if the satelites are louder than the sub, the you might need to return for a different unit. the amp is probably what is defective.
 
I bought a set of these. If its not shaking your knees with the sub on 100% and the master volume at 50%, something is wrong. I would swap it out if I could.
 
That's good to hear. I got it over the weekend so I still have time to exchange it. It can shake the table near it with master volume at 50%, sub at 100%, and source at 50% when playing a bass test track. Normal music doesn't make the music do much. BTW does anyone know the crossover of the sub? Does 150hz sound right?
 
Probably. If the bass doesn't feel there, either there's something wrong with the pre-amp in the sub, or your hearing is shot.
 
I exchanged it with another set today and the bass is still lacking. I don't get a lot of bass when playing music, even rap and R&B. The only time I feel the bass is on par with the volume of the satellite speakers is during bass test tracks with lots of 100hz or lower. It works fine when connected to my PC with a sound card since I can adjust the bass from the source. I was hoping the z-2300 was going to be a decent system for my TV but I'm kind of disappointed on the lack of bass. The satellites are too loud compared to the sub even with the sub at 100% and the EQ on my TV has no affect on external speakers. It's a lot better than the TV internal speakers at only $80 but just wish the volume between the sub and satellites would be more balance. Guess I could just use the sub on its own and get some bookshelf speakers.
 
I'm 22 and my hearing is better than most even for my age since I don't use headphones and don't blast my speakers. I hooked up my old Altec Lansing 2.1 system and the satellite volume is much more balanced with the sub compared to the z-2300. I have the z-2300 at 40% master volume, sub at 100%, and TV at 20% and the sub doesn't hit that hard. Sure I can hear I but it's nothing impressive. I can hear the satellites pretty well in the kitchen which is 25-30ft away from the speakers with a wall in between. The sub doesn't even vibrate the small end table next to it until I have the TV volume at 40% which makes the satellites unbearable.
 
try a different outlet, or if its on a surge protector move it to its own outlet
 
try a different outlet, or if its on a surge protector move it to its own outlet

My surge protector already has its own outlet and I've tried connecting the z-2300 w/o the surge protector with no difference at all. I've tried the 3.5mm jack on my TV and the RCA jack on the back with the same sub/satellite volume ratio. Tried connecting it directly to the source (cable box and PS3). Tried it on my laptop with onboard sound card and it was the same as the TV. The sub comes to life when I use it with my PC with a dedicated sound card after I turn up the bass and lower the satellite volume. I don't plan to use it with my PC because I already got the z-5500 for it a few years back when it was under $200.

The sub can get very loud and shake things with the master volume and source volume at 50% but at that settings I can't use the satellite speakers because they get crazy loud. The 8in sub of the z-2300 is much better and louder than the 10yr old 6.5in altec lansing sub when I really crank it up. The only problem is that the satellites on the z-2300 get so loud that I can't use them to at that volume level.
 
Last edited:
If that's the case your thread title is misleading. You are actually trying to say the satellites suck and the distortion is becoming unbearable in order to get the bass on the subwoofer to acceptable levels for you. I hear you. Those satellites do suck.
 
What about placement? It's going to be louder when you position the sub in a corner or when the port is a few inches from a wall than if the sub is out in the open. Just asking since I didn't see that covered yet, but you probably already know to do this.
 
How are you connecting the speakers? I have that set and if anything it has too much bass.

Are you connecting green output to sub green input then out from sub to the sattelites?
 
If that's the case your thread title is misleading. You are actually trying to say the satellites suck and the distortion is becoming unbearable in order to get the bass on the subwoofer to acceptable levels for you. I hear you. Those satellites do suck.

By unbearable I mean so loud that they hurt my ears.

What about placement? It's going to be louder when you position the sub in a corner or when the port is a few inches from a wall than if the sub is out in the open. Just asking since I didn't see that covered yet, but you probably already know to do this.

I have it kind of in a corner. The port side is about 2 feet away from the wall and the back is about 6 inches from the wall. The room is 15' X 20' and I'm sitting about 7-8 ft from the speakers. How close to the wall can I place the side with the port?

How are you connecting the speakers? I have that set and if anything it has too much bass.

Are you connecting green output to sub green input then out from sub to the sattelites?

The satellites go in the left and right input on the back of the sub. The controller also goes in the back of the sub and the 3.5mm jack of the controller goes in the headphone input of my TV.
 
My friend's z2300 set is pretty much the opposite, his bass is way too high no matter what we do with the settings, his knob at 9 o' clock is equal to my z2300 knob at 3 o' clock.

When I was using my Audigy 2 there was a tone tab in the config that adjusts bass and treble, the default setting was pretty low so I turned that up.

I'm using onboard now and my realtek drivers don't have that kind of option but the sound I'm getting is pretty nice since I'm using the Z2300 sub and replaced the crappy satellites with Klipsch promedia sats.
 
My friend's z2300 set is pretty much the opposite, his bass is way too high no matter what we do with the settings, his knob at 9 o' clock is equal to my z2300 knob at 3 o' clock.

When I was using my Audigy 2 there was a tone tab in the config that adjusts bass and treble, the default setting was pretty low so I turned that up.

I'm using onboard now and my realtek drivers don't have that kind of option but the sound I'm getting is pretty nice since I'm using the Z2300 sub and replaced the crappy satellites with Klipsch promedia sats.

Was the bass setting from the source the same between you and your friend? Did you ever figure out if his z-2300 really does have way more bass than your set?
 
Yea we had identical rigs, tried our sets on his laptop, ps3, then we tried swapping subs and his set definitely had more bass but mine was definitely not lacking. Turning the knob to anything past 12 o' clock did nothing to the bass, at this point it was starting to shake our diaphrams and we were getting kind of nauseous.

I'm thinking you should just get a replacement and see how that turns out.
 
Yea we had identical rigs, tried our sets on his laptop, ps3, then we tried swapping subs and his set definitely had more bass but mine was definitely not lacking. Turning the knob to anything past 12 o' clock did nothing to the bass, at this point it was starting to shake our diaphrams and we were getting kind of nauseous.

I'm thinking you should just get a replacement and see how that turns out.

I already replaced it once and they're currently out of stock so I would have to wait if I want exchange it a third time. Mine is nowhere near the point of shaking my diaphragm even at 40% master volume, 100% sub, and 40% source.
 
Hey astralite....how about laying off the troll posts and start making positive comments...?? If you don't have anything to add to the thread, don't post. Pretty simple.....
 
Hey astralite....how about laying off the troll posts and start making positive comments...?? If you don't have anything to add to the thread, don't post. Pretty simple.....

Uhh...I never said 100% volume on the speakers, 100% source is media player source. That's not trolling, it's pointing out he should max the source if the volume isn't enough on the Z-2300 pre-amp/pot. If you don't understand terminology that online audio forums use I can't help you there.
 
I think the main problem is the sub controller. The difference between 0% and 100% isn't very much compared to my other sound systems. I would say the sub at 100% can't be much more than 6db louder than 0%. The z-2300 does sound more balanced when I have it at 40% master, 100% sub, and 30-40% source. The highs are harsh at the volume so I'm probably gonna buy RCA extension cables to move the satellites further from my couch. I also noticed the heat sink on my back of the sub was hot to the touch (around 110F) after 15mins of use that the volume listed above. Room temp is around 78F. Is this normal and how hot is too hot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5ds8ZMUfNk&feature=related

My subwoofer has a little less movement than the one in the clip even when playing rap music at 40% master,100% sub, 50% source. Does that seem normal for people with the z-2300 sub? I also want to make sure that the satellites aren't ported because I've read some reviews of people saying they were but the ports on mine are just there for looks.
 
Last edited:
Can you exchange the speakers?

Yeah, I exchanged them with the same results. There is almost no bass when I have them at low volume. The sub really doesn't kick in until I have it loud enough that I can hear the satellites at the other end of the house. The sub begins to kick in with the source volume at 100%, bass at neutral, and master volume at the 9 o'clock position. I usually have it at the 8 o'clock position most of the time when not watching movies. The bass doesn't really fill the room until I have the master volume at master volume at the 11 o'clock position. The sub will start to really pound and vibrate the walls when the master volume is around 50%. I can't really listen for long periods of time with the volume past the 10 o'clock position. I guess I need a smaller sub with a smaller port for bass at low volume.
 
At this point it's pretty clear you're not going to be happy with the 2300's. Thta said there are other ways to do PC sound other than buying a set specifically designed for it. Most dedicated PC speaker systems are lacking compared to any number of other options.

Do you have a very specific budget?
 
Back
Top