Logitech Z-10's?

Joined
Dec 4, 2006
Messages
52
I am looking into the Logitech Z-10's (I am also looking at the Z-2300's). I will mainly be listening to music with them (very little if any movies). My question was whether or not the fact that the Z-10's use the USB interface instead of the soundcard should be considered a good/bad thing and why?
(My current Motherboard is the Asus P5N32-E SLI and has a SupremeFX (ADI 1988b) sound card with it)
Here is a link to the Z-10's if needed.
 
Got these for my girl friend, as she needed something without a subwoofer for her office. I tried them out on my PC before she took them to work, and didn't hear any bad sounds as a result of the USB connection. She brings her MP3 to the office and connects it to the Z10 > the best low volume sound for her purposes.
 
That display's graphics look exactly like the display on my Logitech G15, I wonder if it would work with it and how it would work, also wonder if plug in for the G15 will work with it?
i just dont know about the USB sound part of it, if it had normal speaker inputs plus the USB for the display I would consider it. I am looking for a 2 channel setup and i think i will go with the z-2300s but wish they has a stereo version of the Z-5500s.
 
I have theG15, and believe that the Logitech LCD Manager may be able to enable the programs on the Z10; but, can't ask my girl friend to give it back so that I can do a little experimenting (with her LCD I mean;) .

The Z10 is one of the better stereo PC speakers w/o a subwoofer. If the Z2300s have a subwoofer, then they may be a better choice for you. The Z10 have input connections for MP3, PC (via USB) and headphones. The LCD screen was pretty nifty. The speakers are very heavy for the size, so not portable enough to be lugging around with your lap top on a regular basis.
 
I never knew about this speaker, looks like Logitech has already entered the sound card market(using USB means that the speaker is also an "external sound card"). I really like if Logitech becomes a sound card manufacturer, they already have the reputation to compete against a big company like Creative.
 
I use the z-10 speakers at work and they sound great (I need them to drown out the sound of all the switches in my room). I have only tried them on a Mac so far.

The USB is great because it gives a nice clean signal (no noise from the analog speaker connection). You can connect your soundcard to it directly and not use the USB though. But then the display functionality won't work. Or you can use both and just set the appropriate sound device. The display will still only read what the usb soundcard is doing and not that your "normal" soundcard is doing.

They should work with the G-15 software since it can handle several devices. You just choose what display to output too and what you want to output to each display.

The left speaker weighs more than the right speaker because it holds what would have been the power brick. If you are using the speakers with USB and plug something into the analog line in at the back of the right speaker then both inputs will play at the same time (like my PSP).

There are 4 preset buttons for internet radio. They can lower and raise system volume. They have their own bass and treble control. They are perfect for music but not at crazy high volume. At very high volume the sound is a bit piercing imo. The sound is also quite directional and doesn't travel to another room (as with most smallish speakers).

I compared these to the z-2300 and I was actually a bit dissappointed with the z-2300. The z-2300 has a very weak midrange and sounded similar to speakers that cost half as much. When it comes to games and movies the z-2300 are much better because the subwoofer is excellent.

So for music I would say the z-10 as long as you have enough real estate on your desk. They take a bit more space than other small sattelites. They look great. They sound great no matter what crappy built in sound card you have thanks to the separate USB interface and they have line in and headphone out (also nice and clean).

My next project will be to take the z-10s home and try them on my PC. Then I will be looking at game performance, movie performance, compatibility with my g-15 and just general looks on my desk.
 
The Z-10's are awesome speakers for their size/lack of sub/USB interface. They provide more then enough volume for to fill a small room with music, with overall decent sound quality. They are a little expensive, but if you have the money to spare, and you're looking for a good set of speakers, the Z-10's are definitely worth it.

I only have on gripe: if you use the g15 along with the z-10 the z-10 LCD will only display media information; there is no way to change it to display time or anything else. I wish I could be able to change both LCD's, but sadly I can't.

Overall 8.5/10 :D
 
It's ridiculous to me to drop $150 on a 2.0 system. A Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set costs the same amount.

I bought a $20 Sony 2.0 set from Target to use on my desk at work. No bass, and I can't play them loud enough for others to hear anyway. They use an AC adapter, which is fine because I'd rather not use the work computer, and it's nice to use with an iPod. I could never justify $150 for a purchase like this.

Although, if you're that rich, mind buying me a set for my desk? :D
 
It's ridiculous to me to drop $150 on a 2.0 system. A Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 set costs the same amount.

I bought a $20 Sony 2.0 set from Target to use on my desk at work. No bass, and I can't play them loud enough for others to hear anyway. They use an AC adapter, which is fine because I'd rather not use the work computer, and it's nice to use with an iPod. I could never justify $150 for a purchase like this.

Although, if you're that rich, mind buying me a set for my desk? :D

I have always felt that both the Logitech sub+satellite and Klipsch sub + satellites are way too boomy to really enjoy music. For games, sure they are fun and all. However i still prefer a good 2.0 system for music listening. The Z-10, from my limited in Best Buy listening, sound like a really awesome set of moderate volume desktop speakers.
 
Back
Top