• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Logitech x-530 VGA extension?

Joined
Apr 6, 2007
Messages
6
I just recently purchased the logitech x-530 speaker set for my computer and i would like to position the sub to my right about 8-10 ft from my chair. The sub on this set of speakers connects to the front-right speaker via what looks like a 15 pin VGA cable. I was wondering if i could just use a regular monitor extension cable to span the distance. I have looked high and low for the answer but to no avail. I'm hoping the tech-savy users of [H] can lend a noob a hand.

Thanks in advanced
 
Do you have a vga cable laying around to compare the pin layout?

Edit: Found this when i googled "X-530 vga cable"

Anyway, I was very pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of these speakers! I figured they wouldn't sound too much better than my old ones (Cambridge Soundworks FPS1000 4.1) which I bought several years ago. Boy was I wrong! These speakers are a huge improvement in every area, but admittedly, I don't have a huge basis for comparison, just my old speakers which I had patched up extensively over the years. It was comparable to the x-530 for the time. They really served their purpose well!

One gripe that I have that no one else seems to mention is that the front-right (control) speaker connects to the sub with what appears to be a 15-pin DUB connector. The manual says that you can't extend this cable or you'll damage the system!

I honestly cannot see how a simple extension cable (that uses all the pins, like the speaker does) can damage the internal circuits of the system!? It doesn't make sense!

I tried it once but being the fool that I sometimes am, I had left the speakers plugged-in and turned on when I did this. I did this in the morning just to see if the VGA extension cable I had would fit the connection. It did.

When I came back home from work that day my speakers would not turn on. I'm not sure if this is due to my fiddling with the extension cable or just an unfortunate coincidence and I had a faulty product. Either way, I'm afraid to try again without hearing some testimonials on the subject. It was a hassle to get it replaced with the store and I'd rather not carry it back on the subway to the store again.

Has anyone else successfully extended the range of their front-right control speaker? I'd appreciate feedback very much. Thanks!
 
i have also seen that post and did not think much of it because that is only one case. If i found a second post that said something similar then it would be worth trusting.
 
i have also seen that post and did not think much of it because that is only one case. If i found a second post that said something similar then it would be worth trusting.
That i could understand. The one part i noticed though was how he mentioned the owners manual; the manual supposedly claims(?) not to use a vga extension cable, but he used a vga cable anyway, and next thing you know his system was busted.

Of course his speakers were powered on when he was installing the cable, so who knows? maybe that's the reason it fried, i wouldn't want to find out the hard way though.
 
That i could understand. The one part i noticed though was how he mentioned the owners manual; the manual supposedly claims(?) not to use a vga extension cable, but he used a vga cable anyway, and next thing you know his system was busted.

Of course his speakers were powered on when he was installing the cable, so who knows? maybe that's the reason it fried, i wouldn't want to find out the hard way though.

I've actually tried to use a vga cable (I know stupid, I didn't research it before I did it) So it fried my speakers. All it was though, was a fuse which I was able to fix with a very small gauge wire, they work just fine after fixing that burned out fuse. The vga cable doesn't work because all the middle wires are grounds, so it's not like every pin is just a straight through, which is what you need for it to work, I bet it would work if I were to solder a bunch of wires, and make a vga cable where all wires go straight through with no grounds, but that'd be a lot of work...
 
Back
Top