• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Logitech X-230 speaker thoughts

alkaline

Gawd
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Messages
727
My POS creative i-trigue 2200's have ceased to work. they worked great for about 6 months and now they wont work unless i sit here and jiggle the audio jack for a couple minutes to find a sweet spot. what a waste of $40.......

anyways, i was looking into upgrading to the logitech x-230's. they arent that expensive and they also seem to be of good quality based on reviews. Are these worth the $$? I will be using them for games, music, and movies. im not that picky on audio but i also dont want crap. keep in mind that i am going to college next year and i dont want to lug around a 5.1 set with me.

oh, and ive also got some sennheisser hd485's that i love. my laptop in my sig has a high def audio upgrade....sigma tel i think
 
I love my X-230s, they're awesome speakers. Definitely get a set, you can't beat them for budget speakers.
 
I hate my set. I had a set of z-340's that they replaced. The only thing I like better than the olds one is that the cable going to the sub is secured by screws now. The mesh covers are extremely thin, and don't seem to be able to protect the drivers very well. The sound is muddier than my z's. The cases are a thin cheap feeling plastic, and the integrated stands feel like they'd snap off very easily. I wish Logitech had just added a way to secure the cable to the sub on the z-340's and I'd still have them.
 
I saw a review that said that headphones only run on mono through this set. is that true? any other suggestions for a decently priced 2.1 set?
 
That's most certainly not true. I ran headphones through mine all the time and I got perfect stereo sound.
 
The headphone runs in surround. The only complaint I had was that the volume knob does not control the audio level of the headphone output. Other than that, they're decent for the money.
 
alkaline said:
I saw a review that said that headphones only run on mono through this set. is that true? any other suggestions for a decently priced 2.1 set?

Definately not true. Although the sound quality is severly degraded though the headphone jack vs directly to the computer. That's another thing I hate about them, the volume control does not affect the headphone jack. On my z-340's it controlled the volume of the headphones too.
 
ryan_975 said:
Definately not true. Although the sound quality is severly degraded though the headphone jack vs directly to the computer. That's another thing I hate about them, the volume control does not affect the headphone jack. On my z-340's it controlled the volume of the headphones too.


I'll agree on the headphone quality too. What I did was run a 3.5mm extension up to my desk. Then I'd just plug in either the speakers or the headphones depending on what I was doing.
 
I have the X-230s, the volume knob not controlling the headphone volume, i don't notice the sound being really degraded when using the jack, no more then any other set of speakers would, this is kinda unavoidable i think isn't it?
 
Flak Pyro said:
I have the X-230s, the volume knob not controlling the headphone volume, i don't notice the sound being really degraded when using the jack, no more then any other set of speakers would, this is kinda unavoidable i think isn't it?

Well, on mine it;s severely degraded. Sound hissy and muffled. And if I turn the volume up (on the s/w mixer) they start distorting at a faily low level. My z's didn't do that badly. there was some degradation yes, but I had to crank the sound way up to hear it.
 
ryan_975 said:
Well, on mine it;s severely degraded. Sound hissy and muffled. And if I turn the volume up (on the s/w mixer) they start distorting at a faily low level. My z's didn't do that badly. there was some degradation yes, but I had to crank the sound way up to hear it.
I never had that kind of problem with mine, at least not that I noticed. Could be that I was using low-power earbuds though, I honestly don't know.
 
I've heard good things about them. They would be better than the X-230s.
 
Back
Top