Logitech to Lay Off 140 Employees

I love Harmony remotes... this is unfortunate

You won't love them if Logitech decides to close the Harmony devision and shut down their servers for cost cutting and restructuring purposes. You can't even set the date and time on these expensive (overpriced?) remotes without a computer and their software/servers/internet.

Their sales are not down as far as I know. Amazon sales rates based on rank history says that they have remained the same. I suppose if everything else went down, then that would explain it.

Well if the steering wheel setups were cheaper, I'd buy something newer than the Momo wheel I currently have.

Still loving my G5 and G9.x (including the one they replaced for me, free after 3 years, because the teflon pads were worn! :D)

Yup, their Harmony products are AWFUL. They're all completely useless without an internet connection and an account since everything is done server-side. Additionally, they are designed for idiots, have limited functionality, and are not customizable in the least. The "software" is really just a web browser in disguise with a non-existant GUI, running some old version of java. If the software is blocked by a firewall instead of telling customers which ports to enable/unblock they suggest to disable the firewall completely; that's obviously the proper solution. Did I mention that these products are garbage?

As someone who used to do professional custom A/V installations, sure it's not as powerful or customizable as other products, but it works well for regular end users (AKA "Idiots" AKA The majority of the population).

TCP ports 2503, 2504, 2694. I found that with a 10 second Google search.

I've been impressed with the durability and quality of the Harmony remotes I own. They are 4+ years old and have been slammed to the floor numerous times and are still flawless. Kind of hard to ask for more from a $50-$100 product.

You won't love them if Logitech decides to close the Harmony devision and shut down their servers for cost cutting and restructuring purposes. You can't even set the date and time on these expensive (overpriced?) remotes without a computer and their software/servers/internet.

That's not likely to happen, and if it were to happen I'm sure they would have a software solution. We get it though, you hate Logitech.

Hey now, they keep peace with the wife.

I agree the software is stupid though. Especially from a business perspective. I have three TVs and like your remotes? I need three computers to configure them. OK, I'm a computer geek. I have three computers. I don't want to run to the tv, see if I screwed up a config because something is labeled funny in the harmony DB, run back to the PC, rinse and repeat. Don't create an artificial obstacle to me throwing money at you.

I just used a laptop with different Logitech accounts. Since each remote is linked to an account all I did was create a couple of throwaway Gmail accounts. That way I wasn't worried about using multiple computers.

I actually really like Logitech's hardware and computer accessories; I own 4 or 5 of their mice. However, I despise their poorly written software, drivers, and artificial limitations on the harmony lineup. Also, I wasn't implying that I personally was unable to properly configure my firewall, just pointing out some of Logitech's ridiculous advice for their bad software. The solution should never be to disable your firewall to use our software.

Come on using multiple computers and multiple accounts, talk about jumping through hoops for a product that is SUPPOSED to unify and simplify something?!

I'd be pretty sad if i could no longer pick up a mouse with hyper scroll wheel, once you have one it's hard to go back. Also i buy from logitech because the 2 times i dealt with their customer service it's being fucking the best i've ever had. Helpful and timely.

Love their mice and remotes.. still use them today..

their Dinovo keyboard was a disappointment however.. so expensive and nice BUT not user serviceable once the battery died in 2 years.. you had to send it back to logitech $$$ or DIY it which had bad side effects..=(

Back