Logitech security camera replacement recommendation?

Flapjack

2[H]4U
Hopefully this is a good section to put this in, as it is about security...

I've been using the first revision Logitech Wilife cameras for about 2 years now. I have one outdoor and one indoor camera. Of course, after purchasing them, I read about how they only lasted for a year or so.

Since then, I've replaced the outdoor one with a refurbed one. I tried the repair (larger capacitors) on the failed one, and it only worked for a few more days before failing again.

I woke up this morning to find neither one working. I've tried unplugging all the powerline adapters for the cameras, as well as the USB powerline adapter, but nothing I do will allow the software to find the cameras. Along with the fact that they'll stop recording every once in a while (of course, when I need them most) and need to be power cycled, I've decided to just scrap the damn things and put something else in.

Looking for recommendations. I'm not really enthused about running new wiring or anything, which is why I went with the powerline cameras in the first place. Any suggestions would be great.

No suggestions for power line. The UBNT gear looks promissing and more home user friendly.

Other than the Wilife, I don't think I've seen another Powerline IP Cam.

Wow. The UBNT stuff looks very, very nice. I will look into the cost of setting it all up. Thanks for the recommendations!

So... Finally at a good place financially to replace these, but I'm having a hard time finding them. There are like 3 sellers (that I can find) online that sell a 3 pack. I'd really consider getting a 5 pack though. I seem to remember searching, when you guys first suggested this a few weeks back, and finding a slightly larger pack for not much more. Now I can only find a 3 pack.

Any suggestions on where to get these?

So is there an all-in-one kit, or do I need to get cameras, router, software, etc?

You just need the cameras and the server to install the software. It should come with a disc, however you should be able to get it from the UBNT site/forums as well. Also their PoE injectors should be included, I also asked and their converter things will work if you don't want to use injectors. Those are like $19 a pop and you can go direct to your PoE switch that way.

For the price, it's looking like the Foscam's might be the way to go. Only two questions, to which I can't seem to find answers online:

1) What is the best way to record data from multiple cameras? I plan on getting three to start and have been using a PC in the house to record with the logitech cameras. I have no problems setting up *nix, if there is a good solution that is non-windows based (can't afford a dedicated NVR).

2) I plan on getting at least one FI8904W for outdoor use. I can't tell from their website what the power supply looks like, though. Under the "Accessories" tab, there is a picture of the "standard" Foscam power supply, but it looks like a chinsy cell phone charger. The plug I use for my outside camera has the plastic lockbox around it, which I'd like to use. I'd have to plug in an extension cord if the power supply doesn't fit inside.

The other concern is weather. That power supply doesn't look like it'll hold up.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I really didn't have a good lead on the IP cameras until I posted this thread. I really appreciate it.

**EDIT**
The Vivotek cameras seem nice, but it's a giant PITA to determine which models I'd need. They also seem pricey (but arguably, worth it).

Last edited:
Do you have a price range? Any particular features you need? Such as; completely weather proof, day/night, PTZ, etc?

Vivotek cameras come with decent central management/recording software. Consider that into your price if that's a feature you might be interested in.

1) What is the best way to record data from multiple cameras? I plan on getting three to start and have been using a PC in the house to record with the logitech cameras. I have no problems setting up *nix, if there is a good solution that is non-windows based (can't afford a dedicated NVR).

The Blue Iris software they list may suite your purposes.

2) I plan on getting at least one FI8904W for outdoor use. I can't tell from their website what the power supply looks like, though. Under the "Accessories" tab, there is a picture of the "standard" Foscam power supply, but it looks like a chinsy cell phone charger. The plug I use for my outside camera has the plastic lockbox around it, which I'd like to use. I'd have to plug in an extension cord if the power supply doesn't fit inside.

The other concern is weather. That power supply doesn't look like it'll hold up.

I was interested in this too but the link to the manual does not work for me.

**EDIT**The Vivotek cameras seem nice, but it's a giant PITA to determine which models I'd need. They also seem pricey (but arguably, worth it).

They do appear to be nice but damn are they pricey. The standard resolution cameras like Foscam provides just won't cut it for a client of mine and all the higher res outdoor cameras are ridiculously priced (IMO).

Back