Logitech popping

Alai

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 19, 2008
Messages
2,701
There have been a lot of reports of popping from Logitech systems, particularly after the speakers have been owned for a while.

Have any of you guys experienced this yet? (I'm looking at purchasing the 530 or 5500 or some other system below $250.)

Otherwise, could someone recommend me a 5.1 system that lasts long, compatible with different inputs, and has consistency over the whole volume range that it provides? (I don't necessarily need a thumping bass, but the option of being able to bump it would be nice.)
 
5.1 for $250 is a bad idea to me. The 5500 is the only 5.1 I have seen for that and yeah. For $200 it is ok and will probably last you a few years but....

2.1 is what I like for entry level. You could add more as $$ allows. Eventually, with a sound card using the analogue out puts, you could build a fine 5.1.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1328608
 
Well I wanted to confirm if the Logitech speakers pop.

Also, for 2.1... can it do surround sound? I would really like a surround sound setup.
 
lol no 2.1 is stereo.

to answer your popping question, yes they do. all "pc speakers" which you can buy at the big box stores have consistent issues. klipsch bash amps fail, they have bad volume knobs, logitech pop, etc.

what I was trying to say is that you are better off buying 2 good speakers and a subwoofer to start and add speakers and equipment over time. I tried all of the stupid 5.1 pc setups and am way happier with a good pair of headphones or speakers. you hear much more of the sound and thus can detect movement easier.

buy cheap speakers and get cheap sound. simple.
 
Ah, I see. Does that mean you can eventually build up your own surround sound system? Lol sorry I don't know anything about audio systems. Can you hook up peripheral speakers over time to a central device that hooks up to the computer?

The reason I'm asking is that I am attempting to build a computer for overall use but largely for gaming and media.

I feel that, to get the most of an experience, surround sound is most desirable.

If your advice leads to surround sound, even eventually, I will gladly take it.

Otherwise, I might still take it lol. But with more doubt.
 
yeah the powered monitors can just be plugged into the sound card as you add them. each speaker has an input so begin with two, then 4, then 5 with a spare. easy. just what I would do. not saying it is the best thing but if I had limited funds............
 
The best bang for the buck are the Klipsch promedia 2.1 speakers. I have them for two years and they sound new just when I got them. They beat any 5.1 logitech speakers.
 
I actually enjoy my Logitech Z-680 speakers very much, and I've had them for four years now. It depends on your need. They're very loud, and surprisingly decent freqency response (my audiophile friends tell me), except for the terribly boomy bass (which actually makes gaming & movies more fun sometimes, but needs adjustment for music.

The speakers themselves don't pop, but my Audigy 2 was a snapping, popping, crackling mess. I'm very glad to be on onboard. The Z-680s do hiss, but I don't mind some whine noise. Its no louder than the fan at 60% on my 8800GT.

I would heavily reccomend the Logitech speakers. They're great for gaming, B+ for movies, solid B for music at a great price for a 5.1. Listen to some DVD-Audio or DTS CDs, surround sound music is incredible.

As sagan says, yes, the Klipsh do sound much better. They're also more expensive, and less fun for gaming. Its your choice :)

Edit to clarify for OP:
No popping, ever from my Z-680s. After four years of use they're as good as on day 1. Slight hiss, known issue with Z-680s. Bothers some, not others. If you're ok with 8800 fan noise, you're ok with the hiss.
 
Back
Top