Logitech Illuminated keyboard review & pics

This is a feature I think all keyboards should have. The problem I have is that there is almost no reason that a keyboard like this can't cost 15-30 bucks max. The only thing it takes to have a back lit keyboard is a couple of LEDs and a clear lego-pegboard type setup behind each key and bam! light! Aaah well I guess they will keep trying to gouge those of us who like shiny objects too much to pass up something just because it lights up. Thanks for the link and info on the new product anyhow.

So what's the big deal with back lit keyboards? They only seem useful if you are using your computer in the dark and your somebody who has to look at the keyboard to type.

I agree. Even if I had to look at my keyboard when my room's dark my monitors give enough light so that I really don't have a need for a lighted keyboard.

I don't like using a computer with it dark enough to make the backlit keyboard look good. It's bad to stare at what is essentially a lightbulb in the dark.

So what's the big deal with back lit keyboards? They only seem useful if you are using your computer in the dark and your somebody who has to look at the keyboard to type.
Some of us use our computers in low/no light. Some of us aren't touch typists. Some of us just like an illuminated keyboard. Any more questions?

Fortunately, I'm a slow typist (but extremely accurate). I hope this spares me the key block problem. If not, then it'll be RMA time.

It does look really nice. I'm a slow typist, so the key block problem will probably not be an issue for me. Here's hoping for a good sale!

I like an illuminated keyboard.... even if I don't need it :p But I got my G15 for macro keys more than anything, and I'd get it even if it had no backlight.

As for the price issue... nobody likes paying a high price, but Logitech backs it up with good construction and excellent customer service. So it's not like you're paying a bunch of money for nothing.

Some of us use our computers in low/no light. Some of us aren't touch typists. Some of us just like an illuminated keyboard. Any more questions?

+1, - well said :D in fact, I need one with a blue back lite to match my computer lights.

Personally, I love the minimal looks of the keyboard. I'm a gamer, but I'm also a modder, and I hate a lot of the so-called 'gamer' stuff with flashy crap all over them. This keyboard looks elegant and understated. The only thing I dislike are laptop-style keys. I like the deeper gamer-style keys myself, but I won't discount this unit simply based on that. Also, I'm curious how the lighting is done; i.e. is it standard LED-driven or perhaps surface-mount, and can they be easily changed out for different colors? ;)

I just tried this out in my search bar with my current keyboard and it seems that my current keyboard from logitech does it as well (I pressed wasd all at the same time and it didn't register at all). I guess it won't be that big of a problem to me but I could see how it would break the deal for others. I might pick this keyboard up. It looks slick as hell.

How about this in response: What's the big deal with a Shelby Corba? They only seem useful if you want to to drive really, REALLY fast. Why not just get a car that >I< think is adequate?

See how that works? It's more than okay to to buy what you like, but the attitude that it's just as okay to cast low-level aspersions when others do the same simply causes useless strife. Just because this is an anonymous medium doesn't mean it's fine to ignore common courtesy. Online communites would be so much more fulfilling if we all at least TRIED not to visit the motives and choices of others.

Now, I'm using a Lycosa right now, but I will be looking at Logitech's offerings next time I'm in the KB market.

How about this in response: What's the big deal with a Shelby Corba? They only seem useful if you want to to drive really, REALLY fast. Why not just get a car that >I< think is adequate?

See how that works? It's more than okay to to buy what you like, but the attitude that it's just as okay to cast low-level aspersions when others do the same simply causes useless strife. Just because this is an anonymous medium doesn't mean it's fine to ignore common courtesy. Online communites would be so much more fulfilling if we all at least TRIED not to visit the motives and choices of others.

Now, I'm using a Lycosa right now, but I will be looking at Logitech's offerings next time I'm in the KB market.

You buy a fast car that you can't use or need because the roads you drive on have speed limits. Or you drive a Shelby Cobra to impress your friends. Yea, I see how that works.

When I shop for keyboards and mice I look to see how practical (I think this is the word I'm looking for) they are first, then by the looks. With keyboards I need something that types smoothly and has an overall feel I am comfortable with. As for a mouse, it needs to fit the grip of my hand and with all the necessary buttons. I personally really like this keyboard. The only thing stopping me from buying it is because it's not wireless. Now if you ask, "What's the big deal with wireless?" then I would go on to say how I do not need to run extended USB cables to reach my PC or worry about the wire getting tangled.

Different strokes for different folks.

Don't take what I said personally, I can't even stand the stupid glow on my D-Link Gamer Lounge router!

You buy a fast car that you can't use or need because the roads you drive on have speed limits. Or you drive a Shelby Cobra to impress your friends. Yea, I see how that works.

Don't take what I said personally, I can't even stand the stupid glow on my D-Link Gamer Lounge router!

I suspected you'd take this approach. "Need" doesn't come into it when someone ELSE is spending THEIR money. And this is equally true for me regardless of whether the item in question is a tricked-up KB or an ultra-fast car.

And no, my reply has nothing to do me taking anything personally. I have and will continue to buy what I like, regardless of what anyone has to say about it. My response was meant to offset the usual "I don't l-l-like that, so why do you???" responses that more often than not litter threads like this.

Bleh I saw the price on a site and screw that. The day I pay more than 20 dollars for a keyboard I'll shoot myself. My current keyboard and mouse combo was 20 bucks shipped off the egg 4 years ago.

I need a keyboard as my g11 doesnt fit my huge hand well. :p but not for 80 bucks. made that mistake once

I never really use my keyboard in really low light. I just like how back lit keyboards work. Beyond that this keyboard is FTL because it uses a membrane and isn't mechanical.

I got one of these Illuminated Keyboards a few weeks ago. I came from a Saitek Eclipse I. I loved the eclipse but wanted to change it up a little, so I got this to replace it after the Saitek gave me 3 long years. I have to say that the Illuminated keyboard it is a decent keyboard. I'm not a fan of the laptop keyboard, but this keyboard feels just right. It goes slightly deeper than laptop keys, yet not as deep as the Saitek and has a slight sound for every button press. I would say I prefer the Saitek a little more.

I use my keyboard in a dim room so I prefer to have a keyboard that has back lighting. The white lights are very nice looking. Most of the lights are evenly lit, although you can see some uneven lighting of the keys with long names in a brighter room. Almost perfect lighting in a dark room. There is also just very little bleeding of white light between keys. This wins over the Saitek. The font they use on this keyboard is new and very professional looking.

I'm very surprised on how sturdy the logitech keyboard feels even though its so thin. The Saitek felt like it was empty inside. I wish the logitech keyboard could be lifted off the table more. It's stand only lifts it up an extra 3/4 of an inch. With the palm rest (which can't be removed), the stand barely gives a tilt to the keyboard.

Now on to the gaming applications.... meh.

The Saitek wins hands down. A previous poster listed some links about the keyboard having trouble reading quick keystrokes; I type around 65 WPM and don't notice it. BUT I do notice while playing games, more specifically, Starcraft. I wouldn't say I'm at the professional level, but when I play for fun, I like to play serious. I stay at around 160 APM, and max out at around 260 APM. While macro-ing, I sometimes have problems of my inputs not registering. Like creating Hydralisks using the hotkeys "S" then "H". Sometimes, if passing through these keys too fast, the H input would not register, or maybe even the S input. Now this could probably be because I don't push the key down hard enough, or another human error on my part, but your keyboard should be able to give your commands to your units in-game even if you push they keys with varying pressures. I never had problems with my Saitek keyboard in that regard.

Even with this problem, with light gaming, like the occasional Counter-Strike, COD4, Area 51 (yea just got that free version) game, I have had no problems so far.

After all this, I still say this is a good keyboard. I wouldn't recommend this keyboard for gaming, but if you want a pretty workstation keyboard that costs slightly more than what I would have liked to have paid, then this is the keyboard for you.

The keyboard is very classy and elegant looking. If you guys have some other questions on it, or want some pics, just ask. Hope my mini review was helpful

Just wanted to report on the issue about certain key combinations not working. I don't know if I type to slow or not but my keyboard shows no sign of this problem. Last time I checked I typed about 50 wpm. Hope this helps!

Sorry for the late update, but was kind of busy. It seems now that most places have the keyboard for sale, but I'll put up some pics anyway. My photography skills aren't so great, so I hope you guys can pardon the blurry shots. Here are some daytime pics, I'll post some night time pics later tonight.

I feel bad for you people with slow connections.

Top view:

Up Close left and right:

Side Views with stands UP and Down:

Some Comparison shots:

Here's the night update for anyone that cares! Sorry for the blurry pics. My cheap digital camera doesn't work well in low light conditions.

Very nice pics, thanks!

This needs to be done wireless so I can use it with a HTPC. Illuminated keyboard FTW in a low-light movie watching environment.

Man, the Logitech's illumination beats the helloutta my Saitek Eclipse 2. My pre-ordered illuminated keyboard ships Monday. :)

I often use my computer in low light or lights out conditions, that being said, I don't necessarily need a lighted keyboard... I just prefer them. Must be the computer modder in me, either that or the fact that I'm attracted to anything bright and shiny.

I really like the new Logitech offering, it's simple and elegant. I'm not a big fan of the G15 however.
I love the Saitek Eclipse 2 (which I used for the past year or so), but don't like the Cyborg.
I had a Creative Fatal1ty keyboard for awhile that I liked, but the backlight was too subtle.
The Deck keyboards are completely badass, but I've yet to buy one.
I just purchase a Microsoft Sidewinder X6 and I love it... near perfect back-lighting and feature set, it's my favorite lighted keyboard to date. The detachable numpad sealed the deal for me.

Here are a few pics I took of it...

IMG_3041.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_2999.jpg

note: in person the color is a deeper red than I seem to have captured, and the orange looks yellow in these pics... still learning how to use the SLR :)

You trying to hijack this thread with your fancy Microsoft keyboard and clear pictures?!

Ha, just kidding. I feel that the Sidewinder is a little too flashy. We'll see what keyboards are out after a few years when I decide to get another.

I've found the Logitech Illuminated keyboard to be a great "typists" keyboard due to it's PerfectStroke system, marketing buzzword be damned. The keystrokes have a great feel to them, and when typing my hands just seem to glide over the keys as they type themselves. I can consistently type 90-110 GWAM on it with few errors.

I've recently "upgraded" to the Das Professional keyboard (typing on it now) and while the key-feel for both are quite different, I'm hard-pressed to say which is superior. Perhaps I need to get more used to the Das, but the keystrokes require a bit more force, and I'm only getting around 90 GWAM with more errors than the Logitech.

That new logitech looks great for a baisc keyboard. Looks like its really easy to see the keys in all conditions. i have the G15 and it really sucks when in the bios as the light is off and you cant read the keys hardly at all. Have to really get close to read them.

Is this new keyboard easy to read in low light with the light out?

I also like the Sidewinder with the removable numpad, only thing with these 2 keyboards is i will have to give up the LCd display of my G15, one reason I am waiting for the G19.

Diablo2K, do yourself a favor, don't get Sidewinder X6. I got it and returned it after 3 weeks of use. There are few problems on X6:

1. key blocking issue: when press and hold Ctrl and W, you can't press any other key. That's a big issue if you play FPS.

2. keys stop responding after a few weeks of use: this doesn't happen to mine but I heard about this issue from bestbuy technician.

3. the magnet: there are 2 magnets on each side of the keyboard. They are used for secure the keypad. However, it caused my MX1000 malfunctioning when the mouse getting close the the magnet (within 2 inch).

Sorry...what the $#@$'s up w/ glass around the edges of this thing? Also, I'd like my 2nd windows key back! Finally, give me a damn volume knob!! Wait, wait...finally give me a damn "non rounded" spacebar so my thumb doesn't get beat up so bad...make it quieter too.

Aside from those bitches, the keyboard's fantastically quiet and an absolute joy to type on. For those of you that've used the UltraX series, it's more solid than that. The keys have a very small amount of wiggle and press down extremely uniformly. Oh yeah, it lights up.

Aside from those bitches, the keyboard's fantastically quiet and an absolute joy to type on. For those of you that've used the UltraX series, it's more solid than that. The keys have a very small amount of wiggle and press down extremely uniformly. Oh yeah, it lights up.

I have UltraX and I agree with you, the Illuminated keyboard feel more solid than UltraX. But the price different really turn me away... :(

i'm bumping this old thread, as I just bought one of these kb's from buy.com to upgrade from my x6 which doesn't register the "h" key very well.
will post comparison/review on arrival

I spent all of 15 minutes w/ the X6 before packing it up and taking it back to Fry's. Came away w/ the best keyboard I've ever used.

I spent all of 15 minutes w/ the X6 before packing it up and taking it back to Fry's. Came away w/ the best keyboard I've ever used.

yeah, i fell outta love with mine after a few weeks.
it made me hate using my computer, hope it ships today.

Wait... people need to look at their keyboards? Did I not get the memo or something? Was I out of the office that day? Wow...

"looking at my keyboard..."

What a quaint idea... I'll have to try that sometime...

They call it touch typing for a reason, yanno. ;)

Thing of it as a night light. You don't need it, you know where to get your business done in the middle of the night, but it provides an added layer of comfort. I look down and see dimly lit letters, symbols, and arrows instead of a dark unsettling force of nothingness. It makes me smile. So yes, I do look at my keyboard. In fact, I'm looking at it right now and I find it incredibly relaxing. My mouse has a light too. It is also white. The monitor throws everything off w/ it's puke green, but that's another thread.

Back