Logitech G9x vs Cyborg R.A.T 7

G9x or R.A.T 7

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chimera991

[H]ard|Gawd
I've seen countless thread about these two, but never in a comparison against each other. Would like some input from owners/once owned of either please!

ces09-logitech-g9x.jpg

vs

cyborg-rat-7-20100805070224083-000.jpg

I've never actually used either mouse. However, I do own a Coolermaster Storm Sentinel Advance which uses the same sensor as the RAT7, and an Alienware TactX and Logitech G500, both of which use the same sensor as the G9x. The G9x sensor is much better in my experience. From what I've read about the RAT7, there are also some design issues which would lead me to avoid it. The G9x is an excellent mouse by all accounts, and you really can't go wrong with Logitech.

I thought the RAT7 uses the Philips Twin-Eye while the G9x and G500 use the ADNS-9500?

Anyway, I don't care for either sensor so I wouldn't buy either.

Own a G9x, have owned mx518, Lachesis, Mamba and a Deathadder. G9x is hands down the best when it comes to tracking, and it feels best in my hand. Never tried the RAT, though it does look interesting.

You'll more than likely get votes from people who have the G9x and think its awesome but have never tried the RAT7 ;) Though for me the G9x looks better, haven't tried both mice though.

went to frys and was hoping they would have either one on display but nope!

and they were both going for $99. im pretty sure there is going to be another g9x sale going on soon (BF).
there seems to always be a logitech sale anyways with rebates and dented box deals.

Ive not tried the RAT but Ive owned and tried a bunch of different mice and for me, my beloved G9 blows away anything out there. Not even close.

rat7, most adjustable/ergonomic mouse (that isn't a stupid ergonomic mouse) out there, pathetic sensor/tracking/software and build quality.
if you really care about having a quality mouse, do not buy a rat7, if you can't tell the difference between a $20 ball mouse and a 99$ mouse (like some ppl who think the rat7 is good, and the only reason they think this way is cuz they do not know the difference, nothing against them, but they just don't know, much like how tone deaf ppl will never be able to see what an audiophile goes through or what a colorblind person(like me) is missing out on a properly tuned plasma).
if the rat7 comes down to 40$ then it would be a good buy because then you have the good ergonomics/shitty everything else tradeoff, otherwise the lowest current price(i think amazon/newegg) is 80bucks is still a ripoff.

couldn't tell you my last logitech was a 518 so sorry, can't compare.

Anyone know what sensor the RAT3 uses? I don't think they made a 3200 DPI Twin-Eye, I'm guessing the same one in the G9? If that's the case I'd pick up that instead of the RAT7.

Haven't used a R.A.T. but I have used other mice that use that twin eye sensor. Basically it sucks, and the g9x sensor wipes the floor with it.

Have they fixed the accelerations issues that it suffers? I know that the ADNS-9500 had that problem when mice were first released, but firmware updates may have corrected it. All I know is that I couldn't stand it and returned it after a few days.

I bought the rat, because it was customizable. I returned it because if you actually extend the back piece, the base of the mouse is off-set, causing the mouse to rock from front to back. Obviously a mouse that does that is no good, and even more-so when your mouse uses twin lasers.

Also, the twin lasers blow. I tried three different "firm" mouse pads, and all of them allowed for too much of a variance in the mouse height, making it physically impossible to double-click.

I've used the g9x, and its what i'm going to get next after i finish the RMA for both the RAT and the mouse pad i purchased to go with it. (sorry newegg)

(ps. i purchased the rat5 (lower DPI, same tech though) as the rat7 for $46)

Have they fixed the accelerations issues that it suffers? I know that the ADNS-9500 had that problem when mice were first released, but firmware updates may have corrected it. All I know is that I couldn't stand it and returned it after a few days.

It certainly wasn't fixed on mine. (Ordered late October)

I personally haven't noticed any acceleration issues with my TactX or my G500.
It certainly wasn't fixed on mine. (Ordered late October)
The acceleration issue was a problem with the sensor used by the G9x, G500, G700, TactX, etc. He's not talking about the RAT.

I test my mice pretty thoroughly, and never noticed any acceleration problem on the G9x. But I don't use any kind of diagnostic tools to measure such things to certainty. I just never noticed it, but I instantly noticed the twin eye tracking problems on both my mamba and imperator. Can't really say much more about it than that. Whatever problems the ADNS-9500 has, I'll take them any day over that craptastic twin eye, where the mouse pointer has a propensity to move different than I move the mouse itself. Was very uncomfortable and highly inaccurate to use (the twin eye), the G9x has been perfect as far as I can tell, had mine for about 8-10 months and never did a firm update.

I use two mice - X8 and G9. I usually use the G9, but it's quite small so your hand can tense up after a few hours of use. That's when I switch to the much bigger X8. Mixing up your hand position prevents your hand from cramping up.

I test my mice pretty thoroughly, and never noticed any acceleration problem on the G9x. But I don't use any kind of diagnostic tools to measure such things to certainty. I just never noticed it, but I instantly noticed the twin eye tracking problems on both my mamba and imperator. Can't really say much more about it than that. Whatever problems the ADNS-9500 has, I'll take them any day over that craptastic twin eye, where the mouse pointer has a propensity to move different than I move the mouse itself. Was very uncomfortable and highly inaccurate to use (the twin eye), the G9x has been perfect as far as I can tell, had mine for about 8-10 months and never did a firm update.

Definitely agreed about the Twin-Eye. My Imperator sits in its box and hasn't come out in months.

I have not tried the RAT 7 based on poor reviews, drift issues, lift issues, quality issues, etc. I did own a G9x for about 72 hours, iIt just was not a good fit for me. My old 518 was better all around for much cheaper.

That being said I returned the G9X and bought a Mionix Naos 5000. It is by far the best mouse I have ever owned or used.

I own both the older G9 and the RAT 7. The G9 has a slower tracking sensor than the G9x, but in practice I've never reached the G9's limit, so I doubt I'd notice any difference with the G9x. I run the G9 at 1200 dpi, and the RAT7 at 1450 dpi, with no acceleration. With the default sensitivity settings, this gives identical cursor speeds.

In my opinion the mice are very different, and which one is "best" for you will depend very heavily on your hand position and size. I have smaller hands but both mice work for me. With the G9 I use more of a loose "claw" grip while with the RAT 7 I use a more spread out wide grip, but both are comfortable.

In terms of the number of buttons they are identical, except that the RAT 7 has the thumb scroll wheel which I find to be awkward to scroll left with, so I only use the scroll right (for page-up), and not often even at that.

While a lot of people in these forums have reported issues with the RAT 7 mine has for the most part been trouble free (except for a rare tracking issue that seems to have been due to a bad USB port). The software is fine and I don't have any cursor drift. As long as you order it from a decent place (got mine for $80 from Amazon) you can always just try out both and return the one you don't like.

I got the RAT 7 not because I needed a new mouse, but just because I like complicated gadgets and it looked fun. If you want to play it safe I'd say go with the G9x because it's a solid mouse with no potential issues, but if you have a wider grip and look forward to the adjustability of the RAT 7, it wouldn't be a bad choice either.

HTH

I own both the G9x and the RAT 7. I like both. However, when it comes to tracking the G9x is leaps and bounds ahead of the RAT 7. The Phillips Twin Eye sensor is just an all around poor tracking device.

i love my g9x. while i havnt used a r.a.t, it doesnt look very well built to me. also the logitech is probably higher preforming. after all, it has a 5700dpi laser.

I use two mice - X8 and G9. I usually use the G9, but it's quite small so your hand can tense up after a few hours of use. That's when I switch to the much bigger X8. Mixing up your hand position prevents your hand from cramping up.

Oh I agree, the G9x is a little small for my hand but it is a great tracking mouse. I have been looking for a larger mouse for those times where my hand starts to give me problems. My old MX518 is showing its age, but the M570 Trackball has proven a good replacement as long as I'm not playing an FPS.

G9X fanboy here. I can't wait to see a G10x or something. I don't like the G700

Own a G9x, have owned mx518, Lachesis, Mamba and a Deathadder. G9x is hands down the best when it comes to tracking, and it feels best in my hand. Never tried the RAT, though it does look interesting.

The Rat7 feels OK in the hand but it's weird. I much prefer my G7. As for tracking, I think the G9x is better, but then again I've used it for countless hours and the Rat7 I've used only briefly here and there up at the local Microcenter.

so im guna put it out there that i probably have around 800-1000 hours on my g9x now (i love the hour tracking on steam :p).

There is no wear in the wide grip (soft) finish yet. And in BFBC2 i do a lot of lifting and it tracks wonderfully, no skipping around like my buddy's lachesis with the phillips twin eye.

HOWEVER. It is a flat topped mouse, and my right arm therefore sits a little unnaturally on the desk. As a result, i sometimes get pains in my tendons and elbow of my right hand after a week or 2 of intense gaming. I will be switching to a g700 so i can get my arm tilted more to the right - towards a more ergonomic position.
Mind you, to get this to happen, i was spending WAYYYYYYYY too much time on my mouse. Normal users will not ever experience this hahhaa. Infact, i took a break from gaming for a week and everything cleared up and has been fine since.

I use a claw grip on the G9x. Other mice began hurting my hands after long gaming sessions and working on motherboard reviews.

Having huge hands I really prefer my rat7 over my g9x, not to mention
the fact that my g9x is dead now where my rat7 has lasted longer than
the g9x did for me.

As for actual gaming, I like the rat more as well. Since my fingers aren't
dragging on the mouse pad and instead resting on finger extensions flick
shots while playing fps are a much more fluid motion for me. Definitely my
favorite mouse out of my mx510, mx518, g5/7/9x, and an assortment of mamba
naga and other razor mice that I have.

i love my g9x. while i havnt used a r.a.t, it doesnt look very well built to me. also the logitech is probably higher preforming. after all, it has a 5700dpi laser.

High-performance != DPI

At this point DPI is mostly a marketing tool. Tracking performance and max perfect control speed are much more important.

g9x is an awesome mouse. i had a razer mamba, but for some reason after you get used to a wide mouse feel, you just seem to go for it over the smaller ones. maybe its just preference...but feature wise, the g9x is awesome.

I have a RAT7 but wish I had gotten a G9x. My old G9 got to the point I couldn't hold left click down anymore, so no dragging, highlighting, etc. I bought a RAT7 as the replacement, but I had horrendous tracking issues on a Ratpadz. I've been using it with my old Func F30r surface instead. My tracking will get stuck once in awhile, dust also causes huge issues with the laser.

I wish I could still return it. I really wanted to like this mouse, it's so comfortable.

Love my G9X, especially at 40 bucks on sale. I don't like having too many buttons, but the forward back buttons are placed perfectly for using as my zoom in buttons for black ops.

i love my g9x. a little small at first but once you get used to it, one of the best most precise mouse ive used.

Ive had the RAT 9 now for a few days & Im really impressed with it. The only downside I can see with this mouse is its price.

Ive tried both the rat 5 and rat 7. They could have made the perfect mouse if it wasnt for the crappy phillips twin eye on the 7.

The rat 5 i found really good for tracking (only 1 laser) and felt it was built almost exactly as the 7 but without the thumb adjustment and the extra pinky and palm rests you get with 7.

so to sum up the rat 7 would fit my hand perfect (adujsted thumb rest and added pinky wing) but had the familiar problems associated with the twin laser setup.

the rat 5 tracked perfect but I couldnt get my thumb to feel comfy (back and forward button bit of a strech) and my pinky finger drags a little on desk (no wing attachment on 5)

I would recommend the rat 5 but if they sold the accessory kit and allowed thumb adjustment it would be perfect.

or just make the 7 without the damn twin laser.........

I havent' used them both side by side but I have used both mice. Though I've used the Logitech G9 and G9x for a lot longer. That's what I'm using on my own personal machine and test bench right now. I've looked at the RAT 7 and I've found that the problems with tracking may not be as widespread as generally reported. I haven't had any problems with it in the short span of time I've spent playing with them at the local Microcenter. However, I've found the grip awkward to say the least. It isn't even just what's really adjustable, it's the parts that aren't such as the main mouse button area. It just feels off somehow. It also feels fragile like handling it for the time I've had my G9 / G9x mice seems like something the RAT 7 might not survive. I'm not sure if that's really the case, but that's the impression I get. The G9x just seems like a much more solid mouse.

Back