Logitech - G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

Would be nice if someone had the blue's to comment lol

I don't have the blues yet, but I was in a MicroCenter and they have a keyboard with the blue, reds, browns all on 1 keyboard so you can quickly see the difference between each. I also checked out my bro's browns with domed caps (G710+) when I was at his house for thanksgiving and wasn't super impressed with how they felt or sounded. Definitely prefer the feel, sound, tactile click of the blues. My office where my gaming pc is located is only shared with my wife and she doesn't mind the noise, so no big deal on the extra noise factor.

Chizow I felt the same way. I tried the Brown 710 @best buy buy didn't like how it felt. It really felt just like my decade old keyboard..did you order the blue's 710 yet? Can you post a review here once you do get it?

BTW people might want to be aware of this

http://logitech.pissedconsumer.com/...ized-reseller-from-amazon-20140929539962.html

Apparently somehow Logitech found some material to use on these that sucks, never had a key break on a keyboard before lol.

I've already sent mine back once. Have had both of my CTRL keys break twice now. The second time I didn't bother sending it back because instead of just sending me replacement key caps, they make me send in the entire keyboard.

Instead I just bought replacement caps from http://www.maxkeyboard.com/
The CTRL keys are 1.5, I bought these, they work wonderfully: http://www.maxkeyboard.com/r1-1x1.5-cherry-mx-portal-keycap-set.html
You can also buy an entire replacement set if you want. And I do have to say, the quality of these caps are ridiculously better than Logitech's. I don't ever see them breaking.
Also, most everything is 50% off from here right now for BF sales.

That being said, everything about the keyboard besides the caps I absolutely love.

Also, it's on sale for $90 at Amazon right now: http://slickdeals.net/f/7448030-logitech-g710-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-90-free-shipping

Don't like seeing all these issues with this keyboard..I've been using a decade old Microsoft $30 keyboard and every key is perfect still. Only one key is fading..Dunno how a 100 dollar keyboard has so many issues..if so I might just go back the 30 dollar route

You should pick up the monoprice keyboard. Its a more standard build. I have plenty of cheap mechanical keyboards and I have never had a key break. Its ridiculous. Only Logitech could take something perfectly fine and figure out how to make it wear out. Well them and razer.

Chizow I felt the same way. I tried the Brown 710 @best buy buy didn't like how it felt. It really felt just like my decade old keyboard..did you order the blue's 710 yet? Can you post a review here once you do get it?

I did and I can, but the sale may be over by the time I get it. I should get it tomorrow or Tuesday.

Well I already put in an order for the blues on friday hoping I like em better than browns if not i think neweggs return policy is pretty good. Would be nice to hear from people who have used it though. I just noticed at newegg the browns are 147...

chiz have you got the blue log yet?

I did, spent about 3 hours so far with them, so I'll give a quick rundown:

1) VERY heavy. There must be some kind of steel metal plate because this thing is ridiculously heavy for a keyboard. I remember with the Logitech Illuminated it was a similar situation. The good thing is that between the heavier weight and the better rubber feet, the keyboard does not slide around at all.

2) The keys are LOUD lol. My wife commented after about the 5th keystroke when I entered my password to unlock the PC. Its not something she is going to divorce me over, she kinda said they were loud jokingly, but if you have people/small children in your house/apt that are noise sensitive, this is something to keep in mind.

3) The tactile click and keycap quality is excellent. Some past Logitechs including my G110 had kind of loose keycaps that bugged me. Key movement is fluid with the satisfying click at the bottom. Typing on this thing is great. Only a few gripes that not all the keys seem to have the same movement/feel to them. Most of the alphabetic keys are consistent in feel, it is more then specialty keys that feel slightly different, like backspace, esc. Spacebar is a also a little looser than I would like, but it doesn't impact the responsiveness.

4) LEDs are BRIGHT. Like retina-searing bright. Like little LED flashlights in each key. I checked to see if I could reduce brightness in the Logitech Gaming Software but there was no obvious way like with my G502. Will look more into it later.

5) Palmrest is smaller than G110. Still kinda cheap/flimsly plastic but it gets the job done. I would prefer some of the sturdier/textured palm rests I've seen on some products but it serves the purpose well enough.

6) Super thick cables. Its a double cable inside a conduit that splits near the end. Kinda surprised its not USB 3.0 and USB 3.0 passthrough but I guess these input devices don't really need the bandwidth. Would've been nice for a hub however.

7) Overall looks great. Angled corners/edges to give it a very stealthy appearance. Not much wider than a standard keyboard, which is great because my G110 was wider than I liked and the G510 and so on are absolutely huge.

Overall, very happy with the keyboard. Great for typing and so far, great for gaming as well.

How do the blues feel compared to the brown? Is it significantly better? Bit afraid to keep mine now that you said they are really loud lol..Mine just came in today but wont be able to test until tom..

We had this for 69 dollars at fry's via promo code. Only good thing we really had for cyber monday. If I didn't have a k95 RGB already would of been all over it...

How do the blues feel compared to the brown? Is it significantly better? Bit afraid to keep mine now that you said they are really loud lol..Mine just came in today but wont be able to test until tom..

They feel like actual mechanical keyboards to me, vs. the o-ring browns which felt more like sturdier dome caps. The are louder but have that satisfying mechanical/tactile click the orange ones don't have. I think it really comes down to how much noise tolerance others around you have, I don't mind it at all. :D

Just an FYI from a G710+ owner, I do not recommend the keyboard overall. It is not bad, but the keys have quickly worn off the lettering. The palm rest has developed a smoothed sheen where my palm rests and it simply cannot be cleaned off. The keys are glossy and seem to absorb the oils from my fingers at a quick rate.

I regret not waiting for a Corsair K70 (yes, even with its flaws) or a higher quality mechanical board. A friend of mine gave me his old Corsair K70 in black and I enjoy this board a lot more. aesthetically it is much more pleasing.

Overall the color scheme and quality are just not awesome on the G710+ in my opinion. I think a matte wrist wrest would do wonders with some type of change to the key caps as well. Outside of that the switches and functionality of the keyboard was decent.

Why do you even care if the lettering has worn off? No one looks down at the keyboard when they type these days do they? On my Sidewinder X4, the keys all wore off in pretty short order but honestly I didn't give a crap.

Anyway I got my G710 a long time ago. Browns don't really feel too much different from rubber domes to be honest. I got used to mine in very short order. The macro keys are still relatively useless, what with being on the side and getting hit on accident by me when first orienting my hand to the keys. But at least it has media keys, that's all I really wanted... until I got a G602 and I didn't need them anyway because they were on my mouse.

But at least the macros are programmable, using LUA. You can make some nice, relatively complex things. They have a built-in editor and an API reference in PDF form. You can make some relatively complex macros. Frankly, I could probably design an entire bot in it, supposing that the bot didn't need visual confirmation from the game.

My rooommate picked up one of these with the brown switches. They feel different from my Filco browns.. a bit stiffer I think, but they're also a bit quieter.

Got mine today! I really like the brown switches. They have a similar feel to the blues but they are much quieter. I Think its a good keyboard to have at home since the blues would be too loud.

got the blues today only thing bothering me is when i download the software it doesnt work and says its incompatible with my version of windows... i chose win7 64 bit which is what i have..is it possible to program the g keys or top keys to open programs somehow?
Some help would be appreciated

Last edited:
How loud is the K70 (which switch-type?) compared to the G710+ ?

And what are the K70's flaws? The back-lighting failures on the non-RGB models?

My friend has the k70 (mx browns, red backlight) and he really likes it.

I like that the keys are not embedded in a trough, instead they are mounted on top of a flat surface so debris won't build up under there. Cleaning becomes easy.

It'd be nice if they'd come out with a "K75" with:

- mx browns for me + O-ring dampeners if it's too loud.
- A column of 5 macro keys to the left, and maybe a few up-top like the g710+
- 1 or 2 macro keys below the spacebar, for the left thumb. Some keyboards have this.
- A full set of media / internet convenience keys
- Simple low-bloat software (Razer's LED control is much simpler, I'm told)
- $130 or less. Lose the RGB if that's what it takes...

1. They are different pitches when typing, but the tactile response to me is better on the K70 and the key cap finish is more of a matte texture as opposed to the Logitech G710+, which is a gloss finish. Overall the sound and feedback from pressure is a subjective preference. I think the Logitech is a bit more clunky or clanking sounding, but in a less high pitched manner than the K70.

2. The K70 has had LED flaws for sure, but mine has not experienced this, so I cannot really comment on it.

3. I loved the G710+ much like your friend when I first got it, overall it is not a bad board, but the key wearing and color scheme eventually made me feel I had compromised.

4. My overall perspective is that I purchased the G710+ on launch for $99. I loved it to start and the black K70 was taking forever to release, so my impulse allowed me to purchase the G710+. Later I was doing a build for my friend and he liked the board and I ordered it for him. After testing it out I surely had buyers remorse. Personally the build quality felt better, even if in reality it wasn't. From a visual perspective, the K70 is not wearing on the wrist pad and the key caps are not wearing out. The scheme matches my style, build, and overall feels nicer to me.

dsmwookie what keyboard would you recommend that has programmable keys & media keys that is mechanical?

Honestly, I'm not totally sure. The Corsair K70 I am using has flaws mentioned by other users, so I am hesitant to recommend it and lead you to remorse. Corsair does offer quite a few options, but I think you should weigh the pros you read about and cons and see which one comes out to fit you best. Certain features will be valued far more for each individual, so without knowing that set criteria it is hard to make an unbiased recommendation.

Why do you even care if the lettering has worn off? No one looks down at the keyboard when they type these days do they? On my Sidewinder X4, the keys all wore off in pretty short order but honestly I didn't give a crap.

Call me frugal, but a $100 keyboard should not have such a crappy finish that they wear off. Yes, I can recall where the keys are from muscle memory, but that does not remove the thorn from my eye or wallet that is a mediocre product that is meant to last for years. The average computer user would scoff at the notion of a $100 keyboard, so to then accept poor standards as such for what truly is the high end, well I dunno, why do you ask so little?

My apologies on the tardiness in response. I honestly didn't think anyone would respond and I forgot to check back in.

Bump can anyone else respond on the drivers not installing for the blue 710? It says not compatible with this Windows but I picked the right Windows...

For those of you that bought the blue how do you get the programmable keys to work ? I tried to go to the logitech website to dl the drivers but it keeps saying its incompatible with my version of windows yet I picked the windows I own...wth..

Found your answer, I think. Apparently one of the links has the 32 bit and 64 bit backwords.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/G-series-Gaming-Mice/Windows-64-bit-LGS-Software-Incorrectly-Linked-at-Logitech/td-p/1345228

If you don't want to click and read, here is the direct link to the 64 bit version from support:
ftp://ftp.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/gaming/LGS_8.57.145_x86_Logitech.exe

Nice find, I never ran into this because I already have like 200 Logitech devices installed and they all use the same LGS now (finally!), so the keyboard installed automatically without any problems.

The only minor annoyance I am having is the keyboard will not wake the PC from sleep. Apparently it is a known/common issue and there are potential workarounds by going through the usb hub controllers in Devmgr and setting them to prevent them from going to sleep to save power. I haven't bothered to do it as my mouse still wakes my PC just fine.

Does anyone know how to setup the programmable keys?

Through the logitech software. Or you can use the on keyboard macro recording by pressing the MR button, then the G key you want to program, then type in the action, then press the G key again. Now it is programmed.

I've already sent mine back once. Have had both of my CTRL keys break twice now. The second time I didn't bother sending it back because instead of just sending me replacement key caps, they make me send in the entire keyboard.

Instead I just bought replacement caps from http://www.maxkeyboard.com/
The CTRL keys are 1.5, I bought these, they work wonderfully: http://www.maxkeyboard.com/r1-1x1.5-cherry-mx-portal-keycap-set.html
You can also buy an entire replacement set if you want. And I do have to say, the quality of these caps are ridiculously better than Logitech's. I don't ever see them breaking.
Also, most everything is 50% off from here right now for BF sales.

That being said, everything about the keyboard besides the caps I absolutely love.

Also, it's on sale for $90 at Amazon right now: http://slickdeals.net/f/7448030-logitech-g710-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-90-free-shipping

I also had my CTRL key break. I emailed Logitech customer support and explained to them calmly that they are fucking retarded to think that sending back an entire keyboard for one key is a sane way to run a business. They responded by mailing me a replacement CTRL key and everything is hunky dory now. They also mentioned that they were going to be getting replacement keycaps so that support could send them out in the future for other people who get broken keys.

I use CTRL for my push to talk key, so I end up pressing on it a lot which is why mine broke.

It's $89.99 on BestBuy actual too. If I didn't just pick up a stack (9x) of G15 v1s in excellent condition for $8 ea this evening, I would definitely get one.

Picked up the G710+ today at best buy...
initial thoughs are...

It's a nice board. but from what I've read for quality of materials: keys wearing off this soon??? and no replacements offered by logitech.
There's a work around for that... Take the keys off the board and get some clear coat on the keys.
That's alot of work though and honestly I think I might take mine back because I think the money is better spent elsewhere.

Having owned the grandfather of mechanical KBs (IBM Model M).I just don't think this thing is worth what it cost. just doesn't feel that great build wise, For $50 maybe 60 yes it's worth that.

Cliffs:
got buyers remorse and am likely taking it back after using it for only a few hours.

I have the Razer Black Widow Ultimate and it uses the same blue switches. I would NOT use it at work at all. For home use and gaming it's ok, however.

Why not? When I'm working, I want everyone to know dammit!
<--- Using an IBM Model M13 at work

Why not? When I'm working, I want everyone to know dammit!
<--- Using an IBM Model M13 at work

I worked on a help desk where almost everyone had a model m. We did that so the people on the other end of the phone would know we were working :D

Back