Logitech G502 Proteus Core @ bestbuy.com - $49.99 + FS

jamsomito

2[H]4U
This mouse is being phased out for the newer Proteus Spectrum. The only thing they changed is the LED is now RGB, controllable through Logitech software, and the thumb rest is black instead of blue. On this one, the LED is always blue, but you can turn it off and on in the Logitech software.

I'm calling this the same as the new Spectrum variant, but RGB doesn't appeal to me. So, you're getting a $80 mouse for $50. Good deal IMO. It's the same price here new as amazon has it for a refurb unit (new still $70). FYI, I got dinged with tax, an extra $2.99 - YMMV for that.

Logitech G502 Proteus Core, $49.99 + FS @ bestbuy.com
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitec...lack/4642008.p?id=1219100304021&skuId=4642008

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I love this mouse for FPS. Plays really well with the Xim4 also.

Fantastic mouse. I ended up liking the G303 better due to its shape and lighter weight, but the G502 has more features and uses the same great sensor.

I use a controller for everything unless it's a top down game with a pointer.
This mouse is really narrow.

been using this mouse for a year now, and I love it great for gaming, love the extra buttons well placed I think

Instead of useless crap like lighting, they should have improved the Proteus by using a rubber that wouldn't rub off as easily.

But RGB LEDs are the current trend. Even motherboards are coming with them. Are you saying that you don't enjoy paying more for something that doesn't add any real value? Lol. Me too.

Very good mouse, size, tracking button response and placement (except for the thumb button) and is all excellent. Just wish it was just a bit lighter and thumb button was adjustable so don't accidentally hit, may need to check out the G303.

Wish they would put this sensor in an MX518 body. Use this mouse at work and at home but my two rightmost fingers begin to hurt after extended use. Can find it for this price at best buy every few months at Best Buy.

I love this mouse for FPS. Plays really well with the Xim4 also.

Omg, xim4.. I bought one of those when it first came out, waited for the order page to open it, received it and have not used it once, never even tested it lol.. maybe I should try it out sometime.

Really? Kind of an expensive gadget to just buy and never use! :) Give it a try if you play FPS on the console.

Really? Kind of an expensive gadget to just buy and never use! :) Give it a try if you play FPS on the console.

yeah, I had a xim3 before it and used it quite a bit, when I play fps now I have been just playing on the pc. I do have bf4 on console.. haven't played that either, just on pc haha. I should give it a go.

had this mouse for a year, feet started peeling off.

previous logitech mice didn't have this problem, their cord usually got screwed up in 3-4 years though.

previous logitech mice didn't have this problem, their cord usually got screwed up in 3-4 years though.

Premature wear of the glide pads is a known issue with the g502 because of the sharp angles of the pads.

Depending on use I've seen them last between as little as 3 months to about 1 year. Really need to order extra pads with this mouse.

Very good mouse, size, tracking button response and placement (except for the thumb button) and is all excellent. Just wish it was just a bit lighter and thumb button was adjustable so don't accidentally hit, may need to check out the G303.

Same situation for me. With how I gripped the mouse I was constantly pressing it, it just made it unusable. I ended up swapping out for a SteelSeries Rival, and luckily my thumb doesn't sweat acid so I haven't had the grip start wearing out on me yet like some other people have ;)

You can order replacements on ebay for like 5$.

Love this mouse. Got it at Best Buy during Black Friday 2014, where it was $79.99 bundled with a $50 Steam Wallet Card. Effectively making the mouse $29.99 since I can always use Steam credit.

Have yet to see a deal that matches that.

Love this mouse. Got it at Best Buy during Black Friday 2014, where it was $79.99 bundled with a $50 Steam Wallet Card. Effectively making the mouse $29.99 since I can always use Steam credit.

Have yet to see a deal that matches that.

Man.. was that 2014? Lol.. I got in on the same deal. Still haven't opened the G502 as I had a fairly new G500 at the time which is still working great today. But for $30 and $50 of steam credit, it was too hard to pass up as a spare mouse.

Used this mouse at my bro's place and it feels better than the G500, but not so much so that I would just get rid of the G500.

My girl traded in her 2010 Macbook for a $200 BB gift card, so I pulled the trighger oin the g502 PC for $49.99 & the g910 Orion Spark for $139.99. I then used an existing Amazon gift card I had to get the g640 mouse surface. All in all I'm very happy.

Untitled by Shap, on Flickr

UPDATE: Well, after just two weeks I caved to my need for all components to match. I bought the G633 Artemis Spectrum, so, back to Best Buy went the G502 Proteus Core and I dropped the extra $30 and got the Proteus Spectrum. [shakes head & :rolleyes:]

Last edited:
Been using the G502 for almost 2 years now, great mouse, best one ever from Logitech imo. It was $40 at BestBuy during the BF run-up and the G910 was only $90. G710/G710+ were $50-60 or something like that, surprised they didn't get more buzz at the time.

Been using the G502 for almost 2 years now, great mouse, best one ever from Logitech imo. It was $40 at BestBuy during the BF run-up and the G910 was only $90. G710/G710+ were $50-60 or something like that, surprised they didn't get more buzz at the time.

I got the G710+ during the sale at bestbuy, no ragrets.

Lmk how you think it compares to the g9x. That's one of my all-time favorite mice.

Everything these days seem so heavy and bulky in comparison.

G303. Closest shape to G9/G9x but updated to modern specs. I'm on the verge of selling my G502...it's a great mouse but as you noted, it's a bit bulkier and heavier than I prefer.

Lmk how you think it compares to the g9x. That's one of my all-time favorite mice.

Everything these days seem so heavy and bulky in comparison.

Ended up returning the g502. Coming from a g9x this new mouse felt uncomfortable and bulky. I have aclaw grip do it looks like in sticking with my g9x till I can find a suitable replacement

Ended up returning the g502. Coming from a g9x this new mouse felt uncomfortable and bulky. I have aclaw grip do it looks like in sticking with my g9x till I can find a suitable replacement
Same here, coming from a G9X to the G502 Spectrum. Trying to get used to this thing, going to give it another week before returning it.

Got mine due in tomorrow - new mouse for work (My 402 has some limitations, including a now dead middle mouse wheel button, i use it constantly with CADD / Revit) .... Thanks for the heads up OP

How's the feel of the weight of the G502 compared to a (very) old G5? assuming no added weights in either case.

Last edited:

update to this. messaged logitech online. went back and forth answering questions (date of purchase, place of purchase, pictures with serial number, being transfered, etc)

one day i got an email w/ a tracking number without them telling me they're going to send me anything. week later i got a brand new g502 mouse from them.

Will keep buying logitech.

picked up one of these after tiring of razer's synapse bs. i have small hands but miss the ergonomics of the naga. anyone know if the corsair m65 is more along the lines of the naga (as in ergonomics)?

My girl traded in her 2010 Macbook for a $200 BB gift card, so I pulled the trighger oin the g502 PC for $49.99 & the g910 Orion Spark for $139.99. I then used an existing Amazon gift card I had to get the g640 mouse surface. All in all I'm very happy.

Untitled by Shap, on Flickr
I have that same keyboard and mouse setup

How long have you had it? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Especially in regard to the durability of the g640.

G303. Closest shape to G9/G9x but updated to modern specs. I'm on the verge of selling my G502...it's a great mouse but as you noted, it's a bit bulkier and heavier than I prefer.

Same here, coming from a G9X to the G502 Spectrum. Trying to get used to this thing, going to give it another week before returning it.

Well thanks guys, looks like my search continues!

After using the G502 for the past two weeks or so, finally got used to the shape. It's a huge difference coming from my previously preferred claw grip style, but now I love it. YMMV ;)

Bought a g303 like recommended. Working well. Slightly slimmer than I would like (have big hands) but it's working well as my g9x replacement with my claw grip. I recommended it

Does this mouse have Linux driver support? I'm currently using a Roccat XTD because it has linux and windows drivers.

Back